Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
I ordered 2 from hong kong on ebay for 7.99 and 5 shipping each. They have them at sportsmans warehouse also. I ordered the ones with the open face real,but i think the flip face real would be more practical but its a little bigger. They also have a fly fishing real. I don't like the closed faced reals. They are supposed to be good for upto a 4lb fish. Im giving one as a gift and im going to put the other one to the test. If it holds up i might buy a couple more.

·
Porcelain Unicorn Hunter
115 Posts
I cant imagine fly fishing with a telescoping pole, much less something with an over all length this short. The materials and action of a fly rod are too important. If you do get one, dont get the fly reel, you will have a very hard time doing anything useful with it. A good 5 piece fly rod would be a lot more expensive, and take up a little more room, but you can actually fish with it. Which is pretty important.

·
Bravo 36
372 Posts
When I was kid I whittled 1 inch round by 6 to 8 inches long piece of wood. It was from an old oak tree that got hit by lightning. I whittled it to take off any bumps. I also made a point at one end. The opposite end I made a notch to tie fishing line. Twards the end where I have the point I rolled 20 ft of line. So when I cast, the string will not get cought. I feel it is easier to rreel in the fish then a bottle. Just IMOP.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
I want one of those more for novelty than practical use.
I wouldn't want to chance anything more than a sprat on those.

I have compact take down rods already which are much more use able.

Eidt: Well I just found the site of the real deal guys, not the knockoffs and must say it looks much more durable.
http://www.profish3.com/penrod.htm

Reactions: Davy C Rockett

·
Registered
723 Posts
That was the cheapest one i could find.It looks like it is a 3 piece instead of a 4. Are you looking for the larger open face reel,flip face reel,or fly reel one?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Wow a ton of stuff in that sight. Has anyone ever order directly from China before?
Any problems? This would be a good thing to carry in a day pack with some lures.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Can we say Boom Bait! Works every time. I also have a shocker that will bring them up from 20 foot around. Survival is all about not waisting time or energy along with the rest of it!

Now I do fly fish and I used to teach fly tying. If I am camping, I fly fish. Survival I take what I use and use what I take.

Don

·
Porcelain Unicorn Hunter
115 Posts
honest black market retailers abound in china....

Wow a ton of stuff in that sight. Has anyone ever order directly from China before?
Any problems? This would be a good thing to carry in a day pack with some lures.
i ordered a tritium glowring from Singapore, technically not legal, but there are like zero US suppliers anymore, due to import laws concerning tritium and other radioactive materials, and the applications you are allowed to manufacture that make use of it. I had no problems from the seller at all. Received what i payed for in a little under a week.

Ironically i had no problems from customs either :p.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Looks good to me. I use a 4'6'' ultra light open face combo for trout all the time. IMHO this would be the best set up for every day use. A rod that short would be useless with the fly reel (as mentioned earlier). The other reel looks like a bait caster type reel that could also be a problem. Many cheeper bait casters are more trouble than they are worth often turning your line into a''Birds Nest'' on the first cast. Bait casters usualy need 1/4 oz of weight to work at all. That is much to heavy for trout or crappies in most situations. A big splash as your bait hits the water will scare off trout every time.

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I first got into trout fishing, I used a telescoping rod as well. You can take fish with it up to around 4 lbs. The ideal line is 2lb. fluorocarbon. Anything bigger will be hard to cast any distance. I still take one of these on the four wheeler occasionally for a quick trip by one of our farm ponds. I also take it backpacking.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bass Pro Shops has a Daiwa Mini cast rod and reel system or a Mini spin Ultralight Travel system rod and reel system both for $39.95 each, I don't know much about fishing but have seen them and They would fit in a backpack easy or a BOB. check them out and someone tell me if there worth haveing.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I use a regular cheap telescope rod. Allways have two of them available in my pack along with a nylon "troll" fishing net. The net is illegal for sports fishing so its only in case I have to depend on catching fish to survive.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Has anybody ever heard of a Hobo Fishing Rig? That's nothing more than a soda can with fishing line wrapped around the outside of it. You put a couple of hooks with bait and a weight at the end of the line, throw it in and hold the can. When the fish bites you use the can to reel it in. You can also use the Hobo Fishing Rig as a trout line if you tie it off at one end to a tree or pole. I think that YouTube shows a survival expert using a Hobo Rig to his advantage to bring in a small trout for dinner at one of their sites.

·
Survivalist!
69 Posts
Don't ever use those cheap crappy rods. They will break and you will be screwed. Just go get a little 5 foot ultralight that is segmented in the middle for around 30-40$ and you have something that wont break, and is high quality.

·
Communications Bunker
963 Posts
I found a Zebco telecoping rod several years ago that has been a work horse. It collapses down to around 12 inches and expands to a full sized fishing rod. I use it regularly. I has held up well since back in 2003 when i got it. I did break the tip section right at the joint so it no longer collapses down all the way but its small enough to carry while backpacking. Its basically a standard fishing rod and the reel can be changed to siut your needs. I have been using the Zebco 202 reel that came with it without any trouble.

Attachments

·
Read Only
251 Posts
One of my clients showed up with one for a week of Smallmouth fishing. Bound and determined he was gonna use it and nothing could change his mind. The baitcasting reel was better than the fly reel, but both were a joke. I ended up giving him my rig. you would be better off with a limb and some line. Spend your money elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts