Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to fish in a freshwater lake by the shoreline. I'd like to aim for medium to smaller size pan/game fish (don't think catfish are possible fishing by the shoreline?)
Buying fishing hooks (and lures & tackle) seems like a daunting task as there are so many types and sizes.
I have downloaded and printed a fishing hook size chart from here:

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Content/Parts_Sizing.htm

to help, and thought that I might ask fishermen here for advice??????

Also if you have any additional advice as to snap swivels???

(I was looking at the 'ball bearing swivels' on the chart ?)

Thanks!

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Arkansas, Lake DeGray area, and I have no idea what's in there. I'm guessing the usual crappie, bass, etc.
I always thought it didn't matter, but I guess it really does, so now my ignorance needs to be dealt with :)

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
What I would do is rig up one pole for the bottom, in case there are catfish in there. You can certainly catch them from the shore! This involves putting between 1/4 and 1/2 oz. of weight about a foot above the hook, and baiting the hook with nightcrawlers or something bloody, like chicken livers or beef hearts. Get a big ol' glob of bait on there, big enough to cover the whole hook. Sometimes this means 2 or more nightcrawlers. Cast it out as far as you can, and wait for something to hit it. Then rig one pole with a bobber and a nightcrawler, the bobber about 16 in. above the hook, and a small split-shot halfway between the bobber and the hook. Cast it out a ways, or near any structure/cover that may be there. Once those two poles are in the water, start jigging with lures. Mister-Twister type lures are the jack of all trades, use a swivel snap so you can change colors/styles of jigs often. I give each jig about 10 casts, and if you don't get a hit, switch it up. If you find that you are getting "short hits" where something is biting the tail end of the lure but not getting the hook, either rip the tail off the mr.twister, or switch to a smaller size jig.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
One of my best all round baits is a small Road Runner Jig with a solid body tube or grub with a twist tail. Great on Crappie, Bass and Walleye. FWIW to you I have a small soft tackle bag with an assortment of Jigs in 1/32-1/4 ounce numbering about 200! Thats how often I use Jigs with my ultra light spinning rod. For sun fish its hard to beat a long shank #6 or 8 hook and jar of Berkley Gulp Maggots. A lot of times the smaller ones will be nose hooked on a 5/0 circle hook with a 2 ounce egg sinker above it about a foot, for nice sized catfish. For smaller frying pan sized cats I like to use frozen shad or shad caught in a cast net on a 3/0 hook for smaller Channels and Blues. I like the circle hooks cause I dotn have to set the hook. As the fish swims away with the bait it will cam to the cornner of the mouth hooking them or you can just sweep the rod as you take up slack and hook them too. For Crappie if your going to use bait its hard to be a minnow hooked through the nose with a #2 thru 1/0 gold aberdean hook under a bobber. Some small Mepps or roostertail spinners also work well on a variety of fish species too including trout. In the mountians of extreme northern new mexico I have had good luck drifting a worm on a #8 hook down a small trout stream. For Small Mouth Bass and Large Mouth Bass a Jig n pig or soft plastic bait Texas rigged is hard to beat. The Jig n Pig would be a great colder weather bait or bait worked in deeper bottoms around rocks and gravel as they imitate crawfish which are a favored food item for these two species. Just about any bait fish with an appropriate hook, weight under a bobber can be brutally effective for just about any fish that swims!

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Cannon Fodder! I wouldn't have thought of something so simple as to set up different poles at different depths.
Great!
I thought catfish were out of my reach and I love catfish!
I've got to set up my tackle box and thought to ask advice first.
Thanks again

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
Thanks Cannon Fodder! I wouldn't have thought of something so simple as to set up different poles at different depths.
Great!
I thought catfish were out of my reach and I love catfish!
I've got to set up my tackle box and thought to ask advice first.
Thanks again
Yep, that's the way you do it. It puts the odds a little more in your favor. Catfish can be caught in all water depths, but they tend to be in shallower water early in the morning and at night, to feed. During the heat of the day, they like to hide in deeper holes where the water is cooler, but they will still bite anything that comes across the holes they are hiding in.

Check your state's laws regarding how many poles you can have in the water at one time with your fishing liscence. Always put the maximum amount you can in the water. If your state allows 4, put 2 on the bottom. Fishing off the bottom will usually net you the greatest variety of fish, you'll catch everything from Carp, to Cat, to turtles.

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Lunatic! I've written it all down.
I didn't want to get to the store and ask someone who really doesn't know, but will steer you to whatever they want to sell that day.
Maybe I should look online first before going to the store? Yea, probably do that too
Thanks again

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for moving me, I didn't see the fishing section, but I probably wouldn't have looked for it under Firearms anyways though.

I'm looking at eBay for fishing hooks, and of course they can come in packages of 1000 ! So I'm thinking if I had 1000 fishing hooks, maybe I could take some of the extras and string them across the trail (post shtf, of course) and make a kind of camp security alarm?? just saying....
I know whenever I'm fishing those hooks catch me (it's actually uncanny how they can snatch everything) :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts