Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids and I are going on a little hiking trip in a couple of weeks. While we are on this trip, we will be passing close to a good fishing hole off in the woods. I figure its going to be a good hole, because its so far off in the woods you need either a 4X4 or a 4-wheeler to get to it, unless you hike. So not too many people fish there.

Last night I took two small pill bottles, put about 40 feet of 10# test line in one bottle and some hooks and sinkers in another bottle. We are mainly going to be fishing for perch.

How many of yall carry fishing gear in your pack? How about some pictures?

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts
I have a home-made emergency fishing kit with 8 lb and 20 lb test line, assorted hooks, sinkers and leaders in a small compartmented plastic case (approx. 3" x 4 1/2")...as space becomes more of an issue I've been contemplating transferring the contents to a couple of 35mm film cannisters.

Reactions: Milkman12114

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
I'll manage to post a pic tommorow, I suggest you go to your local wal-mart if you're able to, and pick up a children's Pole, I have one I keep in my pack depending on where I am, but its a bit more exspensive. A child's pole, weighs almost nothing, and can be modded to WTF. I spearfish A tiny in NY (Illegal, but I'm 14... "Officer... I'm sorry... I didn't know!") Let me tell you... Ugh! You can also fish with a can/ bottle or whatever, put the line on it, Put a sinker on, a hook/bait (I usually bing a cheap lure, and a balsa wood bobber.) I ALWAYS in my pack have a Balsa wood bobber, they weigh NOTHING (literally.) and can be used as a straw too! :D However... I suggest if you have the money, grabbing some 5 dollar kids poles, they weigh nothing and are small. I have a 20 dollar Shakespeare Micro rod, very small and can be dis-assembeled (My dad's friend showed me how to do it, its a solid rod, but I cut the fiberglass holding.) You could even use your kids poles from when they are little, if you don't mind it, just tie it to the side of your pack. It doesn't add that much Weight.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't think about that. I would have just made a spear. But it will not hurt.
The water here is dirty - as in you can not see more then 6 inches under the water. The pool of water is under a lot of oak trees. The fallen leaves gives the water a black bottom, making it even harder to see into. Plus we are going after small perch, just a little bigger then your hand. So all of these factors together makes spear fishing highly unlikey.

·
Local BAMF
807 Posts
How many of yall carry fishing gear in your pack? How about some pictures?
I don't carry full-blown fishing gear, but I've always got some 550 paracord on my person. And in my tobacco tin PSK, I've got a number of assorted fish hooks stuck inside a folded hunk of duct tape. The inner threads of the 550 paracord can function as a hasty fishing line. I do expect that this will spook more wary fish but I'm not expecting to land a trophy bass or anything. Just a few eager feeders like sunfish would be enough to fill the belly.

·
High Plains Drifter
152 Posts
i keep a limbline/ small fish kit in my backpack. i got a small 6 compartment box from walmart thats small enough to fit in a pocket. and a roll of 150 pound test braided nylon string. the kit has 3 treble hooks, 3 small trotline hooks, some small gold hooks, a few yards of 8lb test, some assorted sinkers, and a few small soft plastic panfish lures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I've deliberately waited awhile before posting on this subject. I wanted to read other peoples replies before posting my own and I didn't want it to seem like I was trying to monopolize this thread (apparently I do that).

For survival I know handlines are very good, they allow you to get on and do other things, come back later and check them. But where I live I can only legally use handlines in the sea.

For sport I've got a Browning 6 piece, 7'9'', 4 weight, fly rod.
My father bought it for me when he was in the States. I think it cost about $70 and he got it from Bass Pro.
If you want me to, in a week I'll post a picture of that rod and the rest of the outfit (reel, lures etc..).

Shimano do a telescopic rod under the Mini EXAGE series.
Only 30cm long when collapsed and comes in a hard tube for protection.
The butt section separates from the main telescopic rod blank, it's made for a spinning reel.

I don't know if they're sold in the USA but they're very popular in Europe.
The 7ft 10-30grms (1/3oz-1oz) has landed Indian Mahseer to 30+lb's!!!!!
The English angler was obviously very skilled but that still proves how capable these little rods are.

I'm thinking about getting the 7ft 5-20grm rod, it costs about £40.
I have so many rods it's unbelievable (maybe well over 2000 US dollars, and that's without the reels, lures etc..) but this might be very handy for stowing away for a just in case scenario and I'm sure it will land fish up to 15lb if you play it right.

I would highly recommend a multi piece spinning rod in either an ultra light or light action. Under sensible use you'll be able to easily land your quarry.

YB:).

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
The water here is dirty - as in you can not see more then 6 inches under the water. The pool of water is under a lot of oak trees. The fallen leaves gives the water a black bottom, making it even harder to see into. Plus we are going after small perch, just a little bigger then your hand. So all of these factors together makes spear fishing highly unlikey.
How deep is the water?

Some lures to try that should be easily available where you live and good for freshwater perch.
Beetle Spin.
Rubber worms, curtail grubs on a light jig head.
Mepps Spinner (excellent lure tried and tested for over 50yrs).
Rapala minnow plug 1/8oz (expensive but tried and tested, many world records).
Blue Fox Vibrax Spinner.
Small topwater lures, Rebel, make some interesting ones.

All these lures really catch lots of fish but they're not cheap.
It can be a very expensive day if you lose a few lures.

Try standing in your yard casting into a bucket. Gradually move further away from the bucket. Practise over head casts, side casts, kneeling casts (as if there were loads of cover around you).

This is excellent practice and will allow you to sight cast to fish that you spot and see.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How deep is the water?

Maybe 3 - 5 feet deep. Because the hiking trip is going to be about 6 miles, carrying a rod is not realistic. In some points we will be going through dense brush. The less we have to carry in our hands, the better off we will be.

The plan is to set up camp next to this pool of water, do some fishing and spend the night there. We will be in the middle of the wilderness, with an old logging road as the only real access. I am planning on digging around fallen logs for what ever we can find. The poles will be made from tree limbs from around the camp site. Those yaupon holly limbs should make good fishing poles.

·
Bravo 36
372 Posts
I wonder if they still have those folding mini fishing rods I use to see on tv? Do you guys remember that? I think its time to Google. I will let you know what I come up with.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Kev, for about a pound in weight you will be able to carry a multi piece rod, reel and a small but effective set of lures. Add a a float, some small hooks and split shot and you'll be good to go.

With the greatest of respect it seems that you're not really into rod and line fishing. I wish I lived closer in order to change your mind.

I went fishing on Sunday with an ultra light outfit. I used a copper colour Blue Fox Vibrax spinner and caught a pike and a tiny trout in just a few hours. Great fun and I could've fed my parents and me.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
A quick warning, do not put jelly or rubber lures in film canisters. Did that with an old pack, and there was some sort of reaction. The lure turned to goo, and covered ALL of my emergency tackle.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With the greatest of respect it seems that you're not really into rod and line fishing. I wish I lived closer in order to change your mind.
Oh I like rod fishing. This hiking trip will not be the time or place for a fishing rod. When the videos are posted, you will see why.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts