http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/18/gulf.oil.spill.main/index.html?hpt=T1

Fishing banned in 19 percent of Gulf of Mexico due to oil spill

By the CNN Wire Staff
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
NEW: Agency shuts down fishing in a 45,728-square-mile section
Senate holds second day of hearings into cause and response of oil spill
BP says siphon working, "top kill" next up
Obama orders probe, Interior official retires early
Washington (CNN) -- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has shut down fishing in a 45,728-square-mile section of the Gulf of Mexico, NOAA administrator Jane Lubchenco said Tuesday.

The federal government has jurisdiction over the area, which is 19 percent of the Gulf.

The closure comes on the second day of Senate hearings, with lawmakers assessing the response to the Gulf oil spill, where a ruptured well continues to gush thousands of barrels of crude.

Three hearings are scheduled, with Interior Secretary Ken Salazar testifying to lawmakers in two of them. Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Thad Allen and BP America Chairman Lamar McKay will speak at the third.

On Monday, oil company BP touted its progress toward plugging the massive spill, but the Obama administration said the disaster is far from over.

"We are in the middle of this crisis. We are not at the beginning," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told a Senate committee Monday afternoon. "We've been at it a month almost, but we are not near the end as well."............

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
This is going to ruin a lot of peoples livelihood and drive up the price of seafood. All along the gulf coast people shrimp and fish for a living. And now that source of income is being shut off.

·
Beans, Bullets, Bandaids
1,351 Posts
This whole spill really sux!.... The Gulf produces 40% of the seafood consumed in this country, now with 19% of the Gulf being shut down, it will only produce 31-32%. I really feel for the people that live down there and fear worse is coming from this spill...ie. oil that didn't make it to the surface.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thoughts exactly. Sorry I posted full article, almost posted link only, just wasn't sure of protocol for the board.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Well, I know people who are very worried about the oyster industry northern Florida, mainly around the bend area. The problem is that, it takes years for a harvest of a crop (oysters). If the oysters that are seeded now are all wiped out it will be years before they can harvest--after the cleanup of course. So, it could be 7-10 years of no harvest. So far though, they are okay, for now. I guess the same will be true of the fishing industry, so far haven't seen much of a difference in prices of seafood though.

·
Sell crazy someplace else
2,534 Posts
From the CEO of BP.

Show them your support. Boycott BP and Arco. The SOB is smirking.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Ever get deja vu?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts