Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've seen wire mesh minnow traps and was wondering if anyone has ever seen or used traps for bigger fish(eating size).i understand this is not sporting,im talking about its use to provide food in a survival situation.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Used to see them all the time when I was younger.. often two "peach baskets were wired together so that the narrow ends were to the out side, the narrow bottoms knocked out and "willow" branches were placed in the openings so that they were like fingers allowing fish to enter , but not escape.. often chicken necks were wired inside and the traps were used to catch catfish.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,996 Posts
Gill net.
The one I got is from a survival vest for pilots. Nam era.
It will fold up to fit in an Altoids can. I think the size is 8' x 4'.

That is one weird avatar. LOL

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm new to fishing, but I think pretty soon here I'm gonna start running some trotlines on my local river. Seems like a really low effort way to bag fish. Set the trap, go work a day foraging/hunting/farming, come back, and theres a dozen fresh fish for ya!
Other traps interest me as well, but I can never figure them out. I see pictures of vietnamese traps sometimes, and I can't for the life of me figure em out. I'll learn!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.