Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These idiots are on TV, with the ticket in their possession, joking around. They are completely oblivious to the threat to themselves and their family not to mention now EVERYONE has now seen their faces NATIONWIDE. Their dense lawyer told them to call the national news! These people will be on one of those shows on "how I lost it all".

LOL, man, people are stupid. Have fun with all of those people hassling you for the rest of your life!

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/01/15/munford-couple-wins-powerball/78837572/

·
Cave canem
5,391 Posts
Sounds like another group that will be broke in 5 years. I always wonder why it is that people like this end up winning, when those people who are smart with money never seem to!
Sadly you are probably right. If they took their idiot attorney's advice to contact a national media outlet and go public can we even imagine what they will do when unscrupulous "financial planners" get a hold of them?

When I heard a powerball winner went public I expected it to be the winner in rural California (and also expected them to be Mexican and illegal).

·
Weed 'em and reap
31,577 Posts
These idiots are on TV, with the ticket in their possession, joking around. They are completely oblivious to the threat to themselves and their family not to mention now EVERYONE has now seen their faces NATIONWIDE. Their dense lawyer told them to call the national news! These people will be on one of those shows on "how I lost it all".

LOL, man, people are stupid. Have fun with all of those people hassling you for the rest of your life!

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/01/15/munford-couple-wins-powerball/78837572/
They look barely human. Judging by their weight, they'll probably eat the ticket before they ever claim the prize. And tens of millions just like them are sitting around on their fat asses rationalizing, "That coulda been me!"

·
Weed 'em and reap
31,577 Posts
Sounds like another group that will be broke in 5 years. I always wonder why it is that people like this end up winning, when those people who are smart with money never seem to!
That's like asking why meth labs explode more often than university chemistry departments.

People who can do basic arithmetic don't play the lottery. Plain and simple. The lottery is nothing more than a regressive tax on the stupid and the mentally ill. Even if you could guarantee me that I would buy the winning ticket, I still wouldn't take money from those least able to understand the odds or resist the compulsion.

·
Cave canem
5,391 Posts
That's like asking why meth labs explode more often than university chemistry departments.

People who can do basic arithmetic don't play the lottery. Plain and simple. The otters is nothing more than a regressive tax on the stupid and the mentally ill. Even if you could guarantee me that I would buy the winning ticket, I still wouldn't take money from those least able to understand the odds or resist the compulsion.
I very rarely buy a ticket, but sometimes I do (once a year or so).

The lottery represents the realization of a fantasy. Ticket to earthly heaven (in theory).

Can't blame people for wanting a piece of that. Look at how many comment on lottery threads, it fires up the imagination.

·
Registered
702 Posts
There is something wrong with that lawyer.
Why would you have your client go public before verifying the ticket through official channels. I understand that some state require that you cannot remain anonymous but you don't make yourselves targets.
I would make it as low key as possible and change my look before getting in front of the camera.

Fire that lawyer now!

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You never hear about them because they are nowhere near stupid enough to do what this couple just did. The smart person would keep working, keep their mouth shut, hire a team of great (expensive) advisors and then claim the ticket in a couple of months. Let the fanfare die off and have a great plan to avoid all the blood sucking leeches that will now chase these people until they are bled dry.

People who can do basic arithmetic don't play the lottery. Plain and simple. The otters is nothing more than a regressive tax on the stupid and the mentally ill. Even if you could guarantee me that I would buy the winning ticket, I still wouldn't take money from those least able to understand the odds or resist the compulsion.
In general I agree with your assessment. I'll still buy a ticket every couple months just on the impossible chance I win. Even just spending the $2 and daydreaming what I would do if I actually hit it is worth the entry fee. Not only that but I've spent $2 on MUCH worse things lol.

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
They look barely human. Judging by their weight, they'll probably eat the ticket before they ever claim the prize. And tens of millions just like them are sitting around on their fat asses rationalizing, "That coulda been me!"
Now now, they are just big boned. It just runs in their family. That and the beedees.

·
Weed 'em and reap
31,577 Posts
I very rarely buy a ticket, but sometimes I do (once a year or so).

The lottery represents the realization of a fantasy. Ticket to earthly heaven (in theory).

Can't blame people for wanting a piece of that. Look at how many comment on lottery threads, it fires up the imagination.
Fantasizing is one thing, but let's look at the reality: 4 BILLION dollars were separated from those who, typically, could least afford it, and 49% gets awarded to someone who, by definition, because they waste their money on lotto instead of productive pursits, is a poor financial steward.

Can you even imagine how much better off the lotto players would be had they invested their money, or even just stuffed it in their mattresses? Most would have multiple thousands of dollars right now, even (and especially) the poorest of them.

·
Semper Fi
11,248 Posts
1) people who are smart with money dont play
2) people who are stupid outnumber people who are smart 100:1
There's nothing wrong with playing the Lottery, as long as you aren't trying to win so you can afford to pay your bills or spending so much you can't feed your family.

I blow $4 a week on Lottery tickets (two games/two plays a week) and that's less then some so-called "smart with money" people spend for a single cup of coffee. If I win whoo-hoo! and if I don't it's not like I'm headed to the bread line because of it. We have won a couple grand over the years.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.