Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Job 31:6
726 Posts
It's not hard....it's just bringing yourself to actually do it! LOL

Seriously....it looks great. I hope you primed it first.....if not, the paint will come off pretty easily. But, if you primed it first...then, if you ever get a spot where it looks bad, you just touch it up.

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
Good job! The weapon blends well in your environment, which is really all that matters. :thumb:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used three colors and local foliage to paint AR mags and a 22 rifle. They turned out great but the paint scraped off easily. I don't know if I should try it with another gun and seal it. I also don't know how well this paint will hold up under high temperatures so it might not be good to paint a semi auto barrel.

·
Consciously Optimistic
1,003 Posts
Duracoat if you want it to last. You could try laying down an etching primer first (grey or tan, not white) then paint with an enamel rattle can, that's probably 2nd best.

To the OP, I like it. Not going to win any art awards, but it blends in quite nicely!

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,620 Posts
I used three colors and local foliage to paint AR mags and a 22 rifle. They turned out great but the paint scraped off easily. I don't know if I should try it with another gun and seal it. I also don't know how well this paint will hold up under high temperatures so it might not be good to paint a semi auto barrel.
Whenever you have a coating failure, it's almost always because of the metal prep done. The metal has to be totally free of oils or silicones and be properly primed.

I've heard a lot of complaints about Duracoat failures, yet I've done more guns with it than I can count and have never had a failure. When I looked into the failures, it was always prep related. Same goes for spray paint or anything else. If you choose a good product and it still fails, it's prep related.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Whenever you have a coating failure, it's almost always because of the metal prep done. The metal has to be totally free of oils or silicones and be properly primed.

I've heard a lot of complaints about Duracoat failures, yet I've done more guns with it than I can count and have never had a failure. When I looked into the failures, it was always prep related. Same goes for spray paint or anything else. If you choose a good product and it still fails, it's prep related.
What do you do for preping a rifle?

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
Just do yourself a favor and don't get a camouflage wallet. A friend of mine did and dropped his wallet while he was doing construction on a house up in the mountains. Needless to say it didn't work out to his advantage :).
Great, now you make me want to buy an orange wallet to replace my tan one :D:

·
Job 31:6
726 Posts
You got me, it was not primed before I painted it. In the future I will have to think about doing that.
Priming is very important for a couple of reasons. First, it helps the paint stick to the rifle.

Second, water can seep through paint....to the gun. But, if you prime it, it seals the metal against rust.

The nice thing is...you can take a rag and paint thinner, wipe the rifle clean...and re-do it anytime. Just prime it next time!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts