Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking to purchase my first shotgun and would like some advice.

My history with shotguns is shooting my buddy's family hand-me down 12ga. pump action (I appreciate the lineage.) I would say I only put down about 200 clays over 3 trips, about 5 years ago.

I dont know much about what type of gun it was other than to say it appeared to be very old, it had no sight, but had pleanty of kick (i'm currently 28 so I still have some shoulder to work with.)

I plan to use my gun primarily for sport shooting, trap, etc...
However, I dont have the funds, (I was ballparking $350 for this purchase,) to own more than one gun. I dont want to limit myself by getting a fully specialized gun, and want to leave the option to hunt if I so desire later. Hunting would be small game, very unlikely but possibly deer. No intention of ducks/geese.

That being said my original plan was to get a 12ga pump action that supported changeable chokes and handled 2and3/4 and 3s.

Since then I engaged local 'experts' and have had my world turned upside down.

I'm told I should use a 20ga, but if I do go 12 make sure it also handles 3.5s. I should get a cheap semi-auto such as a Stoeger 2000 (though I hear they have an eject problem with low brass,) rather than a pump like a wingmaster or Nova. I recognize the benefit of semi over pump action when shooting doubles, but I dont know if its enough of an issue to justify buying the Stoeger with the reported problems they have.

So with all that info, what is the best bet for aprox $350?

*One note to add is that I live in an area where people make way more money than they deserve so a local dealer told me to wait till Feb. 09 to purchase. He said people buy guns for the season shoot them 20 times and then trade them in rather than store them.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Get either a Mossberg or Remington combo pack from Big 5. They have one or the other on sale for under $350 almost every week. This will give you your skeet/hunting gun and the 18 inch extra barrel will give you a home defense gun.

·
FNG
106 Posts
Remmington 870 Express. You get it in the 28" barrel from wal-mart for under $300. My buddy just bought one today. You can buy used barrels from a gun store if you want a shorter barrel for home-d, or what ever. It comes with three chokes I think? From everything I have ever heard, a 3.5" shell is pointless. You will never need it. A Nova barrel will cost almost as much as another gun.

·
Registered
317 Posts
rem. 870 express, you don't need the 3.5 inch shell, and the pump isn't any slower than an auto if you are shooting doubles. After shooting a couple times the pump is just a reflex and you can shoot as fast as you can line your shot up again so there's no advantage in having a semi since you still have to realign your shot.

·
Banned
653 Posts
rem. 870 express, you don't need the 3.5 inch shell, and the pump isn't any slower than an auto if you are shooting doubles. After shooting a couple times the pump is just a reflex and you can shoot as fast as you can line your shot up again so there's no advantage in having a semi since you still have to realign your shot.
No advantage to a semi auto shotgun? What planet are you from?

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Well I can tell you from personal experience that a pump gun in the hands of someone who knows how to use it is nearly as fast as a semi-auto. About 10years ago I was at a local Turkey shoot. One event was to put down 5 steel targets set up in a 90 degree arc about 15 yds out from the shooter. I did it with my pump in 3.15sec. The winner did it with a semi-auto in 2.98 sec.

Was the semi-auto faster, yes, but by such a small margin as to be insignificant. On a skeet range there was no semiauto I ever saw that smoked the second clays any faster than the guys with the pumps...

The advantage of the semiauto is you don't have to be "good" to get that second round available fast. The advantage of the pump is that it will still work when it's dirty or the ammo isn't perfect.

Allan

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I would go with either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 in 12 guage. I would advise against a 20 guage because buckshot can be a little harder to get. My one piece of additional advice to new shotgun owners is do not waste your money on accessories like heat sheilds, folding stocks, etc. Spend your left over money on ammo and practice, practice.

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Take a look at the used racks at local gun stores. Sometimes you can pick up a better grade of gun for the same money. My suggestions: Winchester 1300 (had 2) Browning BPS (had 1- honestly a better made gun, plus it ejects out the bottom). 870s are OK, but the Express's mat finish holds moisture too easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice, I'm suprised to see there wasn't more support for the Nova. Is that because they are pricey to modify?

My concerns with the Mossberg is 1, I dont know much about them, and 2, based on the survivalist video from youtube, you SoL on chokes.

I have always been recommended the Remington Wingmaster but the comparison to the express seems minimal in most aspects.

Any additional info based on this?

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
...My concerns with the Mossberg is 1, I dont know much about them, and 2, based on the survivalist video from youtube, you SoL on chokes...
Say what???? Why would you be SOL? There are Mossbergs with choke tubes just like there are Winchesters and Remingtons and others. The Mossbergs are a solid, inexpensive shotgun. They are not particularly pretty, but they're solid shooters.

Personally I have 2 Winchester 1200's (predecessor to the 1300) that have served me very well. In pump action guns the Remington 870 is probably the most popular with the Mossbergs running a close second.

FWIW I recently purchased a Remington 1100 from my MIL. It had a fixed choke 30" barrel. I subsequently purchased a 26" barrel for it with replaceable chokes. You could do the same with the Mossberg.

Allan

·
Registered
317 Posts

YouTube - MD Arms, Ltd Saiga-12 20rd Drum #1
lol i'll give it to you, the semi-auto may have an advantage if you are seeing who can spray shot in a general direction fastest?

if you are shooting sporting clays/skeet/trap there is no real advantage though. You still have to realign your shot to the 2nd clay and it is just as easy to pump while re-aiming as it is to aim and pull with a semi.

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
I would go for a pump over a semi personally, but that really is a personal choice. the reasons being; They will cycle lower power rounds/cheaper rounds, they are easeyer to maintain, and are far cheaper. if i had the money i would buy a semi, probably a benelli, but i dont so i will stick with a good old pump.
one problem over here is that pumps are sneered at as being for the gung Ho irresponsible shooter and as beeing outdated.

·
Registered
448 Posts
2, based on the survivalist video from youtube, you SoL on chokes.
That video showed a Mossberg 590 which is a home defence gun. You can get a regular Mossberg 500 with an 18" barrel for home defence plus a 28" barrel with removable chokes for less than $300 new. Changing the barrel takes all of 5 minutes (if that) and no tools.

The Mossberg combo with the 18" and 28" barrels retails for less than the regular 18" home defence model. Only difference is that it doesn't come with the heat shield for the barrel. I still can't tell what that heat shield is actually good for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts