Survivalist Forum banner

What is the most important thing for you to have?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are learning to can as a means to survive in the event of any number of collapse. Its also a way to save money long term on food costs so we can better afford other things that are just as important for survival. Its better to know how and prep than to not know how and starve. Here are some pics of the experience. We would also welcome tips or advise.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Would you consider canning them with the skins on? I've often read the skin contains a great deal of the nutrition a potato offers.

Great job on learning how to can and preparing for hard times!

Have you considered what kind of lids you will use/store? I've read about the reusable Tattler lids, but haven't tried them yet.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Would you consider canning them with the skins on? I've often read the skin contains a great deal of the nutrition a potato offers.

Great job on learning how to can and preparing for hard times!

Have you considered what kind of lids you will use/store? I've read about the reusable Tattler lids, but haven't tried them yet.
i would never peel my potatoes. thats the best part. just scrub real good and go with it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Boiling water in 4 places. top left for lids, bottom left for pressure canning, top right to fill the jars, bottom right to "Blanche" the potatoes.

Sorry for this being unclear. The lid water is not actually boiling but its pretty hot.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Nuke the jars for a minute to get them warm. If they are cold they could break from sudden temp change.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts