Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was quoted today for two different PTR 91's. The squad/scout version with a top rail and a railed handguard for 1399, and the same version without the two rails on it for 1199.

I've never bought a PTR before but this seems a little pricey. I think i could swing it right now, but was wondering if for the price I could get a much better gun. I'm really only looking for a high performing semi auto for SHTF and deer/bear hunting. I want to go out on a mountain lion outfit as well, so i'm kind of sold on the .308.

Anyone's thoughts?
**** it, just buy it?
Hold out for a better deal?
Get a better gun and do some more research you noob?

Anything will do.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
The standard model for $1,199. That's not a bad price in my opinion. You can add rails and whatnot later. Better to use the other $200 for mags and ammunition.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm primarily going to be using it for hunting so i will need to add a scope by spring season. Should i get used to it first and just add that later? How hard is it to get a top rail on it?

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Also look at the PTR G.I. It's pretty much an H&K91. Plus it will take any dirty ammo you can find on the ground. ALso it is priced at $899 which is lower that the $1300 you are willing to spend.

You wont get as great accuracy as the PTR91 but you can use the worst 308 ammo out there without fail. Spend the extra you would on a PTR91 target rifle. Get the G.I. and spend the rest on .99cent magazines and surplus 308 from whatever 3rd world country you can think of.:thumb:

·
Banned
348 Posts
I'll chime in.
First off, I'd reccomend you begin to look at other platforms if you are planning on glassing it. The HK91/ptr91 isn't as accurate as the whole world would have you believe. They are fair, but not tack drivers. Second, most of the systems to place an optic on it put the scope up so dang high that you need to install some form of cheek riser to get your face high enough to see through the glass. And once you do that you can forget about useing the irons. I tried a few diffrent mounts and optics on mine. Avoid most of the clamp ones at all costs. The best compromise I found was this one with a leupold vx II http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-Low-Profile-Scope-Mount-For-HK-Rifles-Pistol-118p762.htm I think the leuy was a 2-4x. However my HK91 now lives at the back of the safe and hardly ever comes out. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful battle rifle. It's just too heavy to be a good hunting rifle, and the ergo's on it don't really work for me. For the same money you can pick up a standard M-14 or some form of ar-10. That's if you are on the prowl for a "battle rifle" I'd lean more to the ar-10's in production right now. As they are so much easier to put a scope on. and remington's R-25 comes in cammo, so it doesn't seem as "scarey" to the sheep.

I don't know what part of the country you are in, so I can't really say with any certinaty if that deal is really good or not. As I've seen quite a few real HK91's going for that price here in MA.

And don't stress over rail setups either, they are simple to add if you need. But they seem to encoruage people to hang unnessasary crap on their rifles.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'll chime in.
First off, I'd reccomend you begin to look at other platforms if you are planning on glassing it. The HK91/ptr91 isn't as accurate as the whole world would have you believe. They are fair, but not tack drivers. Second, most of the systems to place an optic on it put the scope up so dang high that you need to install some form of cheek riser to get your face high enough to see through the glass. And once you do that you can forget about useing the irons. I tried a few diffrent mounts and optics on mine. Avoid most of the clamp ones at all costs. The best compromise I found was this one with a leupold vx II http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-Low-Profile-Scope-Mount-For-HK-Rifles-Pistol-118p762.htm I think the leuy was a 2-4x. However my HK91 now lives at the back of the safe and hardly ever comes out. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful battle rifle. It's just too heavy to be a good hunting rifle, and the ergo's on it don't really work for me. For the same money you can pick up a standard M-14 or some form of ar-10. That's if you are on the prowl for a "battle rifle" I'd lean more to the ar-10's in production right now. As they are so much easier to put a scope on. and remington's R-25 comes in cammo, so it doesn't seem as "scarey" to the sheep.

I don't know what part of the country you are in, so I can't really say with any certinaty if that deal is really good or not. As I've seen quite a few real HK91's going for that price here in MA.

And don't stress over rail setups either, they are simple to add if you need. But they seem to encoruage people to hang unnessasary crap on their rifles.
As a PTR-91 owner, I have to say that this sums it up nicely. I learned to shoot back in the day on an HK-91 and I always wanted one. Now that I have one, it sits in the back of the safe and I wish I had bought an AR-10. I was going to add glass, then I found out what a claw mount costs and thought better of it.

All things considered, I wish I had nice flat top AR-10. It would be more accurate and a whole lot easier to source parts when I wanted upgrades.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I have just completed the build on PTR91 with all HK components (Except BATF Compliance parts). I spent way too much money on it. I am into the gun for $900. For your $1100 I would go with the M1A. I have a nice M1A and would buy another one. The PTR is a great gun if your barrel is good. I have seen some with crooked barrels and that is tough to correct. If you have a choice get the M1A.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you want it, and can swing it, BUY IT!! Woohoo! I've never been one to talk someone out of a new toy!

But... If you haven't yet, I too would look at the M1a. I have a Scout Squad and love it. If you prefer the PTR though, you won't be sorry!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
PTR91 gets like 3-4 MOA with crap surplus ammo and 1-1.75 MOA with match ammo. I get ruffly 3 MOA with crappy Russian steel cased .308 in my cetme. It's hard to say though with my rifle. I had Bill Springfield do a trigger job on my rifle that's 4.5 pounds with a super short reset and hardly any take up so when I slowly add pressure to my trigger it just bumpfires. I WAS GETTING TWO AND THREE ROUND BURST OFF MY SHOOTING BAGS!!!! That being said, I cant give you an honest MOA on my rifle because of that whole bumpfire issue.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have just completed the build on PTR91 with all HK components (Except BATF Compliance parts). I spent way too much money on it. I am into the gun for $900. For your $1100 I would go with the M1A. I have a nice M1A and would buy another one. The PTR is a great gun if your barrel is good. I have seen some with crooked barrels and that is tough to correct. If you have a choice get the M1A.
I have the real-deal 91. It's awesome, almost a 1MOA with open sights (last time I shot it) gun (using surplus ammo).

It's also heavy, expensive to shoot and not something I want to lug around with a hundred rounds of ammo if things go sideways.

For about the same money, you could get an M1A.

Heck, for that coin, you could get a Garand from the CMP, some ammo and pay for a class if you really like carrying around a heavy, .30 cal. rifle.

John

·
Registered
120 Posts
I own a PTR-91 and years ago owned a HK-91. I've always liked the platform and it has a lot of things going for it. It is reliable, fairly accurate, built like a tank and mags are dirt cheap. However, I got lucky with my PTR-91. It is ser#AW12XX and will gobble up virtually anything I feed into it. Starting around ser#AW1600 there have been numerous instances of the chamber flutes being too shallow, as a consequence they will often choke on the tar found with much surplus ammo. Until you clean your chamber you have a single shot rifle, thats why PTR introduced the GI model with the PROPER flute cut. This isn't a concern if you only plan on shooting commercial ammo but not a feature I would want in a SHTF rifle.

Another feature I don't care for is the lack of a bolt hold open device and no matter how many drills I do I can't charge the weapon or do mag drills on it quite as fast as I can with an AR, AK, or FAL. If you shoot it a lot you will have to mindful of measuring your bolt gap and should have spare rollers on hand.

My advice would be to buy the PTR GI model if you still want the HK platform. They really are well made despite their idiosyncracies. However, I would recommend you do some more research and look at a FN FAL. In my humble opinion this is the best deal going right now for a 7.62x51 MBR;

http://www.dsarms.com/Imbel-FAL-Sta...l-Imbel-Barrel---IMBEL58/productinfo/IMBEL58/

I own both and I'm telling you the FAL is the superior weapon. It has better ergonomics, is stone cold reliable and has a bolt hold open. The only thing the PTR has over the FAL is slightly better accuracy but not by much. FAL mags are more expensive but still afforadable, around $20. The Imbel FAL that DSA is selling is built on high quality Imbel parts kit with the original chrome lined barrels and there won't be anymore coming into the country.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
get an FAL. IMHO its better,( and thats just an opinion!) the only firearm I've sold in years and not regretted was a Hk91 with a collapapsible stock, but the guy who bought it LOVES it, so maybe it's what you like after all. But it seems like the FAL's shoots better, at least the ones I've been around. I like the layout a lot better, the cocking tube on top is just an accident waiting to happen if you dent it, yes I did that once. Gun is unusable till fixed at that point. The tube seems to only exist to put the charging handle out of reach to short people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a ptr91 and I wasn't a fan. I didn't like how it dented the brass and yes I had a port buffer. I also didn't like how the bolt wouldn't hold open after the last round like a m1a, another thing I personally didn't like was the ergos. Now that being all said the guy I sold it to loves it so diff strokes for diff folks. Now the one plus side for the Ptr is how cheap the mags are and Ptr dose stand behind their product.

·
Registered
821 Posts
PTR-91 for hunting ?

I'd take a bolt action any day. Lighter, more adaptable to scope, more accurate.

That being said, I own a PTR-91 with the annoying feed problems. as long as I shoot clean ammo, i'm cool.

That idiosyncrasy aside, I love the rifle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts