Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Barrio Bajo Señor
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that sage is the #1 ingredient in breakfast sausage so I bought a bottle and tried some, came out dang good, tastes just like jimmy dean or store bought breakfast sausage, didn’t use a recipe. Salt, pepper, garlic, Italian spices and Sage

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I just found out that sage is the #1 ingredient in breakfast sausage so I bought a bottle and tried some, came out dang good, tastes just like jimmy dean or store bought breakfast sausage, didn’t use a recipe. Salt, pepper, garlic, Italian spices and Sage
What did you use for a meat source? I've only made sausage once, and we used a whole pork shoulder twice ground.

·
Jackpine Savage
6,107 Posts
What did you use for a meat source? I've only made sausage once, and we used a whole pork shoulder twice ground.
I use whatever's on sale from B/S chicken breasts to beef brisket. I like sausage so it doesn't matter to me if I'm eating chicken sausage this week and pork sausage next week. It all tastes good drug through the egg yolk or in my spaghetti sauce.

·
Barrio Bajo Señor
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We’re gonna have chicken sausage and eggs for dinner tonight

I especially like making my own so there’s no nitrates, now that I have this knowledge I’ll probably never buy sausage again.

I’ve used some pre made sausage mixes before and didn’t like them, I’ve made my own Italian with fennel seeds but breakfast sausage is my favorite

·
Registered
14,980 Posts
I HATE when someone uses Italian seasoning in breakfast sausage. I'm making breakfast, not spaghetti sauce. There's a small chain of popular places in Utah that does their own "breakfast sausage"...I almost gagged on that stupid thing, it was more Italian than any sausage pizza I ever had.

No rosemary, no basil, no oregano, thank you.

I use the Hi Mountain Prairie Sage mix. "Salt, red pepper, sage, black pepper, spice extractives, and citric acid (0.01%) added to protect flavor."
Excellent flavor, a little kick.

Their Mountain Man blend was disappointing. Pretty bland "Salt, dextrose, sugar, monosodium glutamate (4.1%), black pepper, red pepper, spice extractives."

Hunters Blend is OK "Salt, spices (inlcudes cayenne, chipotle, jalapeno, habenero Peppar, black pepper), natural smoke flavor and less than 2% silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent) and soybean oil (revined to be allergen free)."

Country Maple was too sweet. Obviously. "Sugar, salt, maltodextrin, natural flavors, spices and not more than 2% Silicon Dioxide to prevent caking."

I use pork shoulder, or cushion meat, or any chunks of pork that I can get for under $1.50 a lb. I have been known to grind in ham, or bacon pieces and ends for more fat content, because the large cut on it's own often hasn't got enough for the sausage to bind and form patties well, it tends to crumble. Also, without enough fat, the sausage has a hard time browning properly unless you put oil in the pan.

But if you want lean sausage....well...it generally is, unless you add more fat.

I don't bother making links. I have a hand crank and a Kitchen Aid attachment, which is OK for 10 lbs or so. It gets pretty warm.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I make sausage all the time , 5 lbs at a time , If i get cheep ground pork I’ll pick it up and make breakfast sausage , if I have nothing to do I’ll make big links 11/4 x 5” long .
I smoke up the links for a few hours some times cold smoke some times hot smoke they are both good .
I could get pork butt for almost nothing a few years ago so I would grind up but with belly
And add spice , I don’t like the sausage ground smooth , I like some lumps of meat.
Dear season we make a bunch of sausage with venison or bear and add pork butt and belly mix to it . Some years we going up 80lbs of venison we have a lot of shooters
here is Basic breakfast sausage recipe .
I lI like thyme instead of coriander and use double red pepper flakes instead of cayenne
and no msg here is a pic 😊
Font Number Circle Document Event

·
Registered
15 Posts
I make my own sausage, bacon, and ham. If you don't have family or friends who know how, educate yourself. Like
Potawatomi II said, pretty much any kind of meat works, but get your own (raise/hunt) or source locally. As for bacon and hams, I've tried dry, injected, and brine cures. IMO, brine is the easiest and gives me the best results. The next time you go to the grocery store look at the price of bacon and think about making your own!

·
gardener & news junkie
3,856 Posts
I use Boston butt that I grind myself, sometimes a fine grind and sometimes course, weigh out 1 lb portions, wrap and freeze for use as I want. I read that butt is naturally 70/30 lean to fat which is fine for my sausage. Now they're trimming the fat cap a bit closer so I sometimes add pork fat saved from some other project. I mix two pounds at a time, shape 2 oz patties, fry and freeze them for instant breakfast after being nuked.

Butts used to go on sale for .99/lb then 1.29/lb. Now "on sale" seems to be around 1.59/lb.

The recipe I use is based on one from chef Ann Burrell. It's a garlic sausage with some parmesan mixed in. We like it a lot.
To 1 lb ground pork, mix in:

2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried sage
3/4 tsp salt
3/8 tsp cayenne (a nice tingle but use more if you're a fire breather)
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 1/2 TBS water
3 TBS grated parmesan cheese (I cheat and use the green can stuff)

·
Jackpine Savage
6,107 Posts
I don't bother making links. I have a hand crank and a Kitchen Aid attachment, which is OK for 10 lbs or so. It gets pretty warm.
I also use the Kitchenaid grinder and agree that it works good, but give it a break every 10Lbs because it heats up so much. Perfectly fine for most people's uses though.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Most of the time I’m making 5 or10 lbs of sausage I just use the kitchen aid mixer with the grinder attachment but if I’m making alot I break out a huge vintage grinder .
It can grind 50lbs of meat in 20 min .
It’s good for stuffing large sausage skins , but the small ones go better on the kitchen aid .
Now I’m thinking about some Kabasa 👍

·
Registered
565 Posts
I, my dad, my grandpa Gilbert were all down right dangerous when it came to adding sage to homemade sausage, or most anything for that matter....

Thing is, no matter how good sage is, it can be a very powerful seasoning.. My Sweetie is a fan of using sage.. Now, she being the master, well experienced home pressure canner she is, I have learned you don't use sage in products before canning.. Only after the product is removed from the jar...

My 5 cents of experience....

·
Learner/Tradesman
235 Posts
I use pork butt as it seems to have just the right fat content for our tastes.
I try to find one about six pounds and cut it into strips about one inch thick. Put the strips into the freezer until they are firmed up but not frozen .
Then I do a rough grind and add the seasoning.

Seasoning is for six pounds:
3 tsp Kosher salt
5 tsp sugar
5 tsp ground sage
3 tsp ground Fennel
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tsp coarse black pepper
2 tsp smoked paprika

Mix in the spices well and put the meat through a final grind. I then weigh it out into half pound portions and vacuum seal it and freeze it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I prefer hot sausage, just something about it - and think of sage a turkey stuffing ingredient, but we use it for a lot of stuff. As an aside, I think Cumin is the main ingredient in Taco seasonsing.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Different dominant spices are the essential taste difference between different sausages, sage in breakfast sausage, fennel in sweet Italian, paprika in chorizo, cayenne in andouille, etc.

Just decide what flavor you are after for what use and check for some representative spice blends used for that style sausage.

I'd agree with no Italian herb blend in breakfast sausage. If you want flavor more complex than just sage, you might try adding a little Bell's Poultry Seasoning or a homemade copycat to the sage. (Bell's ingredients are rosemary, oregano, sage, ginger, marjoram, thyme, and pepper with an overall effect similar to the blend in turkey stuffing mix.) Breakfast sausage usually contains at least some thyme and possibly some marjoram in addition to the sage.

Some people like garlic or red/cayenne pepper in their breakfast sausage, and coriander is another spice that is sometimes used. FWIW, Jimmy Dean's regular sausage supposedly uses salt, parsley, sage, black pepper, thyme, crushed red pepper, and MSG (and, of course, also sugar because it's added to everything these days).

·
That'll be the day...
4,343 Posts
I purchased a 20lb Boston Butt (pork).... and I have 8 lbs of deer that my daughter gave me, from the buck my grand-daughter killed. The mix will be awesome.

I will be making breakfast sausage this coming week and stoked about it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts