Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody-

I am looking to get a 2 person 4 season tent for my girlfriend and i. I am not into the whole red and orange thing but I don't need camo either. I would like something lightweight because I will be backpacking but I would like room for our gear and some space for the baby making as well.

Any suggestions?

·
CTP
1,715 Posts
Check out the local REI in the SD area. They have great lightweight tents for packing. BTW, you usually don't need a lot of space for the baby-making thing.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Hi everybody-

I am looking to get a 2 person 4 season tent for my girlfriend and i. I am not into the whole red and orange thing but I don't need camo either. I would like something lightweight because I will be backpacking but I would like room for our gear and some space for the baby making as well.

Any suggestions?
What is your pricerange and intended area of use? 3 or 4 season? How hard are you going to use it?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Most importantly how much you want to spend?

My 2 person backpack tent was like 200ish however; there are a bunch of ones cheaper and way more money.

You also definitely want to look into 4 person tents because a 2 person tent is a crock of s**t. 2 person tent is maybe a person and a backpack.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Oh yeah the backpack tent I use is a marmot limelight 2. I wanted to go up to the 3 or the 4 person but the girlfriend is a truck camper not a backpacker so it is extra money and weight I am not willing to accept. Worst case if she wants to go backpacking is we cram the backpacks in the vestibule or tie them into a tree.

I looked at the REI halfdome tents but there have been a lot of negative reviews on the newer models. Also, seeing one in the store I was not that impressed with it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was at rei last night actually. We don't mind spending a little money on a nice shelter. I thought about a 3 person tent for the gear but my pack is already getting pretty heavy. I
Live in San Diego but I will be going to alaska and the sierras soon. I wouldn't mind getting one really good tent and going everywhere with that.

Is that a bad idea?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Buy good once instead of crappy 10x.

I have never backpacked in those environments so I have zero clue what is required. I will tell you REI usually has educated people and they love to talk so ask them.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The Trango 2 for something bomb proof, Everest proven, but a bit on the heavy side. The EV 2 for something Everest proven, bomb proof, ultra light, but a bit on the expensive side. The REI Mountain 2 is also a good choice, cheaper, but still a bit heavy. The TNF Mountain 25 is also a good one, but again heavy. The Marmot Alpinist is another proven tent. Keep in mind that any double wall tent, is going to be up around 7-8 pounds probably. The single walls will cost you a bit more, but be lighter. Also keep in mind that most 4 season tents, meant for mountaineering, are going to be brighter colors, so they are easer to spot against snow. For more natural colors, look to Bibler. Bibler tents will cost you, but again, they are proven on the mountains. You won't find a Bibler owner who doesn't love their tent. I've never slept in one though, so I can't point out any specific models.

Tid bit: Any time you see a North Face Tent, the name of the tent is the specs of the tent. Ex: The Mountain 25, is a 2 person tent with 5 poles. You will see this on all TNF tents. Just a quick little piece of Gear Geek Useless Knowledge.

As with all tents, the more poles the stronger the tent is in the elements.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
My personal experience..
I've bought inexpensive 4 person dome tents for a long time. I mean like WalMart-cheap.
I don't use one that often so they last me for years. I'm also not a winter camper.
I've worn out/damaged a few, but it costs me little to replace one every 5-6 years.

·
Registered
154 Posts
+1 on the cheap tents i dont have a need to drop hundreds on a tent... plus in the winter i stay in the cabin on my family's property so i guess my opinion isnt much count

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know if you have a Cabela's near you (or purchase online) but I picked up a two-person lightweight tent for about $135 in store (link)

My girlfriend and I are both about 5' 7" and we fit with room to spare. It's only a few ounces heavier than my featherweight tent for nearly half the price. I think REI sells a comparable tent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most importantly how much you want to spend?

My 2 person backpack tent was like 200ish however; there are a bunch of ones cheaper and way more money.

You also definitely want to look into 4 person tents because a 2 person tent is a crock of s**t. 2 person tent is maybe a person and a backpack.
Truth. I have been using the Kelty Grand Mesa 2 for about a year (all 4 seasons). Its lightweight and easy to set up. Pair it with the footprint, which is sold separately unfortunately, and it's a great "2 man" tent. I've used it from the peidmont in NC to Mt. Rainier NP where I'm from. But I go solo 90% of the year so I have no problems, but it most certainly is not a two person tent. Good for me and the gear I wanna keep dry on those wet Pacific NW nights (almost all of them). If you want something for the pair of you, I would suggest the grand mesa 4 or the Marmot Limelight 4.

·
Avid Indoorsman
443 Posts
Always by your tent "plus one".
Those single man tents look cool, but you'll always be wishing you had more space.
Go "three man" for two people.

Where are you stowing your underwear?
Leave room for your personal gear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts