Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Retired Army
6,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Thanksgiving to family, friends, and all Americans, wherever they may be.

I believe Thanksgiving to be one of America's greatest holiday traditions. You cannot truly be happy, if you are not grateful for what you have.

Of the 101 Pilgrims that landed at Plymouth Rock in 1620, Records have between 50, and 53 of them surviving that first year to celebrate that first Thanksgiving in 1621...

That's 400 years ago this year.

You can bet they were VERY thankful for everything they had... The harvest, the game, the help from native Americans, and the watchful eye of a benevolent God, who didn't make things easy on them, but did give them the strength to get through it all.

Weather you realize it or not, you have a lot to be thankful for.

Say one thing you're thankful for.

I'm thankful to live in a small rural farming community, and not some big city democrat craphole.

Have a good day everyone...

16,763 Posts
The first Thanksgiving has always been credited to the pilgrims at Plimouth Rock in Massachusetts. But the first recorded Thanksgiving actually occurred three years earlier 600 miles south in Virginia. On September 16, 1619, the Good Ship Margaret which was only 35 ft. long and weighed 47 tons set sail from Bristol England with 35 settlers commissioned to 8000 acres 30 miles west of Jamestown on the James River. The land was given to the Virginia Company by King James and is the current site of Berkeley Plantation.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The first Thanksgiving has always been credited to the pilgrims at Plimouth Rock in Massachusetts. But the first recorded Thanksgiving actually occurred three years earlier 600 miles south in Virginia. On September 16, 1619, the Good Ship Margaret which was only 35 ft. long and weighed 47 tons set sail from Bristol England with 35 settlers commissioned to 8000 acres 30 miles west of Jamestown on the James River. The land was given to the Virginia Company by King James and is the current site of Berkeley Plantation.

This land was NOT King James' land to give!!! It was stolen from the indigenous people!! Read about the Pequot Massacre of 1637 in which the Puritans murdered 700 Pequot Indians while the Indians were asleep in their beds. Thanksgiving, my ass!

16,763 Posts
This land was NOT King James' land to give!!! It was stolen from the indigenous people!! Read about the Pequot Massacre of 1637 in which the Puritans murdered 700 Pequot Indians while the Indians were asleep in their beds. Thanksgiving, my ass!
It still doesn't negate the fact that the first Thanksgiving was held in Virginia, and not Massachusetts.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The history of mankind is the history of conquest. Advanced civilizations replace less advanced. Assimilation is an important component of conquest. Right now, new entrants to this nation are largely refusing assimilation. Fortress America is eroding from within. Everyone can see this, yet nothing much is done to make corrections. Momentum lies with the opponents of traditional America. We've had it too good for too long. Take time this Thanksgiving Day to seek divine intervention.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts

The first Thanksgiving was much earlier:

Over fifty years before the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock, Catholics held the first Thanksgiving in America. On September 8, 1565, the feast of Our Lady’s Nativity, Spanish Catholics sat down for their first Thanksgiving dinner in the colonial town of St. Augustine, Florida ...

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to family, friends, and all Americans, wherever they may be.

I believe Thanksgiving to be one of America's greatest holiday traditions. You cannot truly be happy, if you are not grateful for what you have.

Of the 101 Pilgrims that landed at Plymouth Rock in 1620, Records have between 50, and 53 of them surviving that first year to celebrate that first Thanksgiving in 1621...

That's 400 years ago this year.

You can bet they were VERY thankful for everything they had... The harvest, the game, the help from native Americans, and the watchful eye of a benevolent God, who didn't make things easy on them, but did give them the strength to get through it all.

Weather you realize it or not, you have a lot to be thankful for.

Say one thing you're thankful for.

I'm thankful to live in a small rural farming community, and not some big city democrat craphole.

Have a good day everyone...
Thank Squanto.

He had legitimate reasons to not look kindly on the settlers considering what they did to him: kidnapped/slavery, but he didn’t hold the Pilgrims responsible.

·
Registered
549 Posts
556; Yes it was King James' land to give - whether it was deeded to him or stolen by him.

This was the 17th century Dutch scholar Hugo Grotus doctrine that "Might was nearly always right". An attempt to change this occured after WWI with the famous Kellogg-Briand Peace Pact (The treaty to outlaw war) of, believe signed 1928. In 1931, however, Japan took over Chinese Manchuria and large areas of adjacent land. The treaty to out law didn't work.

How do you think land was acquired in Europe ?

Of course your point is well understood but now O.B.E. Overcome By Events.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Trog,
The first Thanksgiving was much earlier:

Over fifty years before the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock, Catholics held the first Thanksgiving in America. On September 8, 1565, the feast of Our Lady’s Nativity, Spanish Catholics sat down for their first Thanksgiving dinner in the colonial town of St. Augustine, Florida ...
Trog, St Augustine was not one of the English colonies. It was a Spanish colony.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Was being an English colony a consideration by the OP for determining the first Thanksgiving in what is now the US of A?
I don't know Trog but the initial mention of Plymouth Rock, Massachuettes Bay Colony framed the threat to me as being English colonies exclusively.

I'm sure some Native American populations also celebrated a "Thanksgiving" for the harvest supplies ready for the winter.

The thread was definitely not about the "now US of A". Later both Florida and West Florida joined the US of A.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I don't know Trog but the initial mention of Plymouth Rock, Massachuettes Bay Colony framed the threat to me as being English colonies exclusively.

I'm sure some Native American populations also celebrated a "Thanksgiving" for the harvest supplies ready for the winter.

The thread was definitely not about the "now US of A". Later both Florida and West Florida joined the US of A.
Just going by the OP:

Happy Thanksgiving to family, friends, and all Americans, wherever they may be ...

Have a great Thanksgiving! 😃👍

·
Registered
4,787 Posts

1619 was also the year the first slaves were landed.
They were probably thankful to get off the ship and onto dry land;
but not much else.

·
Registered
549 Posts
1619 was also the year the first slaves were landed.
They were probably thankful to get off the ship and onto dry land;
but not much else.
Mule, This is a big and highly controversial matter here in Virginia.

There can be / some would say: are, 2 different views on whether slaves first arrived here in 1619.

From the common law historical approach, they were not slaves. At this time "slave" was a labor category like "miner", "wrangler", "chemist", farmer, "minister" (reverends, priests).

These black arrivals were captured by the Portugese in what's now Angola area.

Still, the labor requirements were like a slave of later years.

Of course, even a proleterate freeman had grueling labor requirements just for the minimum of food and water. The imported maidens from the Irish laundries did more than iron shirt collars six days a week. Deaths from infections were common enough.

Without writing specifics, my view is that history is not really involved here. It's about negating the right side of our colonial past for political purposes.

To really study this will have the scholar learn that the origins of the current New York Stock Exchange on Broad and Wall Street, Manhattan, started a few blocks away where the original org of NYSE traded in both stocks and commodities like cotton, tobacco, rum, slaves, ...........

Wait 'till this scholar reads the US Army Quartermaster's inventories: powder horns, saddles, barrels, blankets, sabres, slaves.

The forts of New York harbor weren't built with union labor.

Will close by saying that of course the captured POWs from Portugese Angolia area were placed in forced labor.
Virginia wasn't much different than the states of the Church, England, Russia, Spain, ......

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mule, This is a big and highly controversial matter here in Virginia.

There can be / some would say: are, 2 different views on whether slaves first arrived here in 1619.

From the common law historical approach, they were not slaves. At this time "slave" was a labor category like "miner", "wrangler", "chemist", farmer, "minister" (reverends, priests).

These black arrivals were captured by the Portugese in what's now Angola area.

Still, the labor requirements were like a slave of later years.

Of course, even a proleterate freeman had grueling labor requirements just for the minimum of food and water. The imported maidens from the Irish laundries did more than iron shirt collars six days a week. Deaths from infections were common enough.

Without writing specifics, my view is that history is not really involved here. It's about negating the right side of our colonial past for political purposes.

To really study this will have the scholar learn that the origins of the current New York Stock Exchange on Broad and Wall Street, Manhattan, started a few blocks away where the original org of NYSE traded in both stocks and commodities like cotton, tobacco, rum, slaves, ...........

Wait 'till this scholar reads the US Army Quartermaster's inventories: powder horns, saddles, barrels, blankets, sabres, slaves.

The forts of New York harbor weren't built with union labor.

Will close by saying that of course the captured POWs from Portugese Angolia area were placed in forced labor.
Virginia wasn't much different than the states of the Church, England, Russia, Spain, ......
According to "The Peoples' History of the United States" by Howard Zinn, the first colony to hold slaves was Massachusetts. Not being argumentative, just stating what I've read.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.