Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wit is educated insolence
209 Posts
Amazon sells a civilian version of the sandwich (only) 5 for $20.00. They are smaller in both size and calories compared to the strike meal sandwich but are better than a nutri-bar in the pocket. Look under MRE's on amazon and you'll find them.

Regards
Froley

·
Registered
273 Posts
i see them on ebay everyone once in awhile. not worth $50 though. do some research you can make up your own that are close to 95% same as the issue. the epicenter sells most of the components

·
Registered
16 Posts
What is the difference between MREs and FSR rations? More or less food items?
The FSR seems to me to be an American version of the 24 hour ration pack issued by the UK and other NATO armies. Each individual FSR pack is intended to sustain a soldier for 24 hours. The items contained with in are optimized for eating on the move, such as while travelling in a HMMWV or an IFV. The content can be heated but appear to be optimized for consumption cold and even appear to be designed to minimize the need for a spoon. There are more individual items in the FSR than in a single MRE but the calorie count of an entire FSR is a little less than three MRE's. The volume of an FSR is 50% of three MRE's. So the trade off appears to be some calories for half the volume and some weight. It would appear that the FSR is not going to entirely replace the MRE, at least any time soon. From my reading, the FSR as conceptualized was intended for sustainment during the first 72 hours of conflict. I gather to minimize the logistical burden of a rapidly deploying unit as well as taking some of the weight off of a soldiers back. The US Military has tried to standardize on a single field ration before and in the 80's thought they had gotten it right with the MRE. it would seem that once again operational experience has taught them otherwise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What is the difference between MREs and FSR rations? More or less food items?
The FSR seems to me to be an American version of the 24 hour ration pack issued by the UK and other NATO armies. Each individual FSR pack is intended to sustain a soldier for 24 hours. The items contained with in are optimized for eating on the move, such as while travelling in a HMMWV or an IFV. The content can be heated but appear to be optimized for consumption cold and even appear to be designed to minimize the need for a spoon. There are more individual items in the FSR than in a single MRE but the calorie count of an entire FSR is a little less than three MRE's. The volume of an FSR is 50% of three MRE's. So the trade off appears to be some calories for half the volume and some weight. It would appear that the FSR is not going to entirely replace the MRE, at least any time soon. From my reading, the FSR as conceptualized was intended for sustainment during the first 72 hours of conflict. I gather to minimize the logistical burden of a rapidly deploying unit as well as taking some of the weight off of a soldiers back. The US Military has tried to standardize on a single field ration before and in the 80's thought they had gotten it right with the MRE. it would seem that once again operational experience has taught them otherwise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.