Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
-
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I own a Glock 19 and a 10/22. A shotgun seems like a good addition . My primary use will be for home defense both in the city and when I am staying out in the woods in a friends cabin. I will also be taking it out to the range and could use it to hunt (although I have no plans to do so).

I have been looking at the Mossberg 590A (with the heat shield) and the Mossberg 500 Persuader. I have also thought about the Remington 870 as an option. I am tending toward the 590A.

I could really use some advice on what you own and why and what you would buy as your first shot gun.

Also if you have any quality/affordable ammo recommendations I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
the Mossberg or the Rem 870 both are great guns, I prefer the Rem 870 but just as many people would say the Mossberg 500 or 590A, you need to go to a range and rent each one and shoot them and see which one feels right and swings right for you

·
Registered
55 Posts
Personally, I own a knockoff Rem 870 called New England Firearms 'Pardner Pump'. At under $200 it is one of the nicer inexpensive shotguns on the market. No issues with jamming or anything like that, cycles fine every time, and it's compatible with most 870 parts. I highly recommend looking into one.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Id stay with the 590 or 870. My hunting shotgun is a 500 and i luv it but my home defence shotguns are 870. The 590 is already tricked out so you really wouldnt have to do nothing to it. Thats why i went with the 870s back when i built my two it was hard to get the 590 and the 500 you had to order the extended barrel and magazune tube together and i never could find one so i went with the 870. I like my 870 one wears a 20 in smooth bore slug barrel with rifle sites and at 50 yrds will shoot one hole groups with slugs. But any of the ones will do. Also i read a article not to long ago that mossburge was the only one to pass the military trials. So either you said will do the job

·
Scout
1,464 Posts
Personally, I own a knockoff Rem 870 called New England Firearms 'Pardner Pump'. At under $200 it is one of the nicer inexpensive shotguns on the market. No issues with jamming or anything like that, cycles fine every time, and it's compatible with most 870 parts. I highly recommend looking into one.
Hey thanks I did not know tis...I have a 870 that is stock as a rock and I won't change a thing. BUT I might pick up a NE firearms and ad a few " mods". Thanks for the heads up......:thumb:

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
Any of the three mentioned above are great guns. It's really all just a matter of personal preference. I have owned all of them and all have performed perfectly. I prefer the 870 simply because when I was in the Marine Corps, that was our shotgun and I am more familiar with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Personally, I enjoy the Mossberg Maverick 88. Basically the 500 but a bit of less quality. I bought mine new for $100, and it's been a great gun. It uses the 500 barrels, and the accessories. But then again that's just me.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Realistically it's hard to go wrong with any of the "major" makers.

Winchester 1200/ Remington 870/ Mossberg 500-590/ Ithaca 37/ Benelli, they're all good.

Each one has it's little quirks and quibbles, try them all and see what "fits" you. With shotgun, fit is more important than many other weapons and finding what works will make a major difference.

I will say that the Blackhawk (Knoxx) recoil reducing stocks are a great invention, making it possible for smaller shooters to handle the larger (and less expensive) bore guns. Not cheap, I'd put one of these on a defensive/hunting gun long before extended magazines and heat shields.

I like to put a tritium bead on short barreled scatterguns, if that is not a possibility, a quick shot with "DuraCoat" or Sherwin Williams Polane (same thing) adding a white stripe along the top rib or barrel top, tapering from the receiver at the widest point to the bead for the thinnest point. It makes an effective low light sighting device and is quick and dirty in action. I've done it for a number of PD and personal guns and the owners are all satisfied.

·
space samurai
455 Posts
no, the the 870 passed the test as well, but the 590 passed it without a single malfunction.

i agree, a pump shotgun is like a revolver, very hard to f up. i would feel comfortable with a pardener, maverik, 500, 590, and 870.

·
Registered
944 Posts
+ Pardner Pump! Had all kinds of pump styles, and the Pardner will use Rem 870 parts. (except barrels)It is my go to for deer hunting, house defense, and doing private security projects. No issues yet, have owned mine for three years now. Sat in pouring rain, snow, hot temps and it only does two things. Shoot. Load. Repeat. H&R also makes a cheap, no frills, single shot, that you can customize to fit your desires. Even though a single shot, it doesn't mess up, unless you help it along. I bought one with a "Survivor" stock that has a storage compartment in the stock butt. It is also a brushed, nickel plated finish to resist weather. I think it would shoot even thrown off a mountain, if not broken. Rem 870s, Mossys, amd others are great also. You know 2 shotguns are better than 1! Check pawnshops, you can shorten the barrel legally if you want. Check local requirements, but in Indiana it can be 18in long barrel.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
I normally recommend a Rem870, and an 870 wingmaster above that b/c of the smoother action. However the Mossberg 590a1 will increase in value when the next (and permanent) AWB comes back.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think Mossberg has a shotgun that comes with barels . I have used the 590 and the 870. Both are a fine weapon. Think about rifle sights . This will extend the range with slugs .

·
Registered
426 Posts
Cant go wrong with either but im a solid 870 fan, i have an 870 express Home Defense and an 870 wingmaster, The wingmaster i picked up used for $175 and its the best gun in the world I absolutely love it, more then all of my guns, well maybe not my AK, well maybe! So sweet! Get a wingmaster!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hey thanks I did not know tis...I have a 870 that is stock as a rock and I won't change a thing. BUT I might pick up a NE firearms and ad a few " mods". Thanks for the heads up......:thumb:
You can get a used wingmaster for this, and it will shoot the socks off all of them! A used wingmaster will out shoot a new one they are unreal!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mossberg 590 is manufactured with a weak magazine spring. Wolff makes a replacement that is the proper weight and length. (personal experience here)

·
-
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for your input. A lot of great information and I have some more thinking to do.

the Mossberg 590a1 will increase in value when the next (and permanent) AWB comes back.
By the way what is the AWB and why would the 590a1 be unavailable?

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
The Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 banned the importation or manufacture of weapons with specific criteria. The ban expired in 2004, because it was stupid. Congress will eventually do it again (the bill is already written) when enough liberals are in place, but it will be permanent. Keep in mind this was a federal law that expired, but several states copied it and made it permanent for them.

You could have only 2 of these items:
Bayonet lug
Pistol Grip
Telescoping stock
Flash supressor
Threaded barrel that can accept a flash suppressor
Removable magazine

It also banned many guns by name, and any magazine that held more than ten rounds. Banning manufacture or importation does not make your rifle illegal since laws cannot be retro-active, but there will be no more made like it.

In 1992 my Glock 21 came with three 13-round magazines. In 1995 those magazines were being sold for $100 each, with the newly imported (reduced capacity) 10-round mags were going for $25 each. Also, in 1995 used Colt AR lowers were selling for over $1k each. This is why many folks stock a few stripped lower receivers in the back of the safe. When the AWB comes around again, those lower recievers will not be subject to restricted setups (telestock, bayo lug, flashys, etc).

If you see a magazine labeled "law enforcement use only" it was made with original capacity and during the ban. The label does not apply to owning it personally unless there is a state/local ban in effect for your area.

·
happiness is a warm gun
790 Posts
As far as a new production 8 shot reliable pump, a Mossberg 500 persuader is alot of shotgun for the money. They are a little "stiff" when new but are a great gun.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Mossberg makes a 500 model that comes with two barrels and a pistol grip. It makes mix and match for game-getter and street-sweeper pretty easy to change up.

The barrel can be changed ins seconds. The shoulder stock can be changed in a few minutes with a screwdriver.

Several barrels available. I have an 18inch bead sight, cylider bore. a 22 inch slug bore with rifle sights and a 28 inch modified.

I also traded my 870 in for a 590a1 several years ago.

I have another 500 under the seat of my truck.

I have a pistol gripped version beside the bed.

and another 500 hanging over my front door.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts