Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a couple of pictures of my first attempt at a RR spike knife. I found three of them last week and this is the one that was in the worst shape,so I decided to practice on it. The other two aren't as rusted and pitted and I might try to twist the handle on one of them.
100OLYMP-P9251507_P9251507.jpg 100OLYMP-P9251510_P9251510.jpg 100OLYMP-P9251514_P9251514.jpg

·
yep that's me
573 Posts
lookd good, got a pile of spikes out at the garage and I've been planning on trying it myself, just been to busy

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Thats a good start. me and dad were making some for a while. But, with both of us working all the time its hard to find the time for projects like this.Just remember to do some kind of a heat treat on it.the ones we made wouldn't keep an edge until we done it.

Reactions: rhart

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats a good start. me and dad were making some for a while. But, with both of us working all the time its hard to find the time for projects like this.Just remember to do some kind of a heat treat on it.the ones we made wouldn't keep an edge until we done it.
Do some spikes have a higher carbon content than others? I tried heat treating this one the same way I have other knives, heating to cherry red and quenching in oil. The edge is still very soft. I thought maybe I didn't get it quite hot enough and am going to try again.

Also do you have any pictures of the ones you made.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Do some spikes have a higher carbon content than others? I tried heat treating this one the same way I have other knives, heating to cherry red and quenching in oil. The edge is still very soft. I thought maybe I didn't get it quite hot enough and am going to try again.

Also do you have any pictures of the ones you made.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
I've heard that the spikes used in a curve are a better grade than the ones used on a straight away.I guess this to add strength.Most of the time what we did was repeated heat and quench .we've done some as much as 4 or 5 times.As for the pics not yet.I'll try to get some on here this weekend.

Reactions: rhart
1 - 11 of 11 Posts