Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
is the new black.
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first rifle, a 1939 Mosin Nagant 91/30 with matching serials from butt to barrel. Included standard accessory set, from ammo pouch and tools to bayonet.

$99 at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Blew that much again on ammo.

Haven't shot it yet, been wiping off the cosmoline, going to give it a thorough cleaning. Thinking I might go to the range tomorrow.

Planning on refinishing it at some point, probably with tung oil.

Suggestions from other MN owners on best scope and mounting solutions?

Bipods, yes or no? Suggestions if yes?

Better sources of ammo than buying $20 winchester boxes from Scheels?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
480 Posts
www.gun-deals.com will net you the best ammo deals. Just type in your zip code and search your desired caliber. I was just looking at 7.62x54R today on this site and I believe that J&G Sales had the best final price per round after shipping to my zip code (89139).

It is a user submitted deal site, a collection of links to all kinds of verified web sites. Definitely worth checking out.

P.S. Nagants are fun guns. And they're cheap so you can buy a few to play around with.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Two words for you, BUTT PAD....

Russian soldiers wore thick wool uniforms. It's a big round and just shooting it while wearing a t-shirt will wear you out.

Reactions: ENDIF

·
Lemming herder!
1,189 Posts
I have an SVD in the same calibre; 7.62x54R

Only advice I can offer on ammo is avoid mil' surp if you can (shame coz it is SO cheap).

Theres a good YouTube vid of a young guy shooting a civvy SVD and comparing ammo types.

Commercial ammo was hitting target np at around 100-150 yards, as soon as he started using milsurp ammo he was getting fliers all over the place.
From memory he was using Hungarian Milsurp.
I guess alot of that stuff is originally intended to go into belt/drum-fed squad guns/LMG and is not too consistant.

I did a bunch of hunting around for some original "sniper-issue" 7.62x54R from Russia when I first got my SVD. Not available out here.

One Finnish army sniper that had used SVD's extensively recommmended online that handloading was the only way to get the right load.
There is an original Russian ammo designed for accuracy, from memory it's called something like "7-N1" is a very low load, 147 or 152 grain - anyway it's alot lower than most of the commercially available 7.62x54R loads (never been available out here anyways - you may have better luck) which are usually around 180-205gr.

Not sure if this sits the same for the Mossies.
I have a couple of buddies with them and they love them too bits, they use off the shelf commercial ammo, pretty much whatever is available.

Good luck with your Mossie. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
Surplus ammo is still relatively cheap. Get a good recoil pad. Not only does it bring the stock length up to a better fit for most of us, but the Mosins have a pretty stout kick to them.

As for mounts, I've had good luck with the ones that replace the rear sight blade. NcStar and UTG make them, among others. I run a 2-7X pistol scope on one of mine and it's perfect. The eye relief is ideal and the scope is just far enough forward that you don't need to bend the bolt handle.

·
\m/ d(-_-)b \m/
210 Posts
Why does everyone always talk about the huge recoil?!?!?!? I fire mine wearing just a t shirt. I feel fine even firing it all day, about 200 rounds sometimes.

It was also my first rifle, and only the second rifle i ever shot. The first rifle i fired was an AR-15.

·
in a land of confusion
1,149 Posts
I love my m44 its a fun gun and right now its my main gun. I've got it configured as a scout rifle and really want to start reloading for it. I haven't noticed very bad accuracy out of my Bulgarian surplus ammo. I think you'll love your as much as I love mine and if you don't I'll take it off your hands for you!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Geez, my m44 kicks no more than a .30-30.

Czech surplus is bar none the most accurate mil surp ammo out there, by far beating commerical ammo ,at least for my m44.

as far as places to deal with, I'd suggest AIMsurplus.

·
Countin bodies like sheep
77 Posts
Congrats. A M-N is a good way to start shooting, as once you make that jump to .223 Rem. or 7.62x39, you'll be like "this ain't so bad!"... It helps cure flinching - for me, at least.

As has been stated, the sites are completely abysmal. A nice, new, aftermarket rear sight is the way to go for IS shooting. The round has power enough to go almost a mile... Hell, the leaf sight goes way past 1000 Meters. I have trouble with mine at 100 due to lack of recent attention/practice.

From my research for scoping the gun - if you want a gun for scoped shooting, look elsewhere. You'd spend less on a lightly used Savage Model 11 w/ scope package in a very-comfortable-to-shoot-all-day caliber. For my money, the only reason I would care about a scoped Mosin is as an attractive wall-hanger... Otherwise, to do it right, its just too expensive for no real difference in accuracy over a commercial hunting rifle.

I have heard some say that to get all the cosmo out of the gun you should soak all the metal parts in mineral spirits or something similar. I just had a cloth with me the first few times I fired it, and wiped it off every little while as the heated cosmo began to drip from all the cracks, etc. Until you are sure ALL the cosmo is gone in the bolt and firing pin area

·
is the new black.
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to everyone for the great replies and suggestions.

Will probably shoot it a few times with just iron before seriously looking at a scope.

And given that I have no clients yet tomorrow (blasted economy) I'll probably be bruising up my right shoulder tomorrow sometime. ;]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts