Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Isaiah 1:17
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get my hands on my first rifle, scoped preferably, for a survival/defense situation for less than $600, if possible. I am right handed but left eye dominant. I'm a big kind of guy, 6'0" and 220 lbs. Any information on what i should get or consider would be very well appreciated.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
I am left handed, I shoot everything right handed fine. Ironically if I try to use or even just hold a left handed rifle it feels really odd. Us lefties can get used to just about anything.

For $600 or so there are a lot of choices. What do you like? You want a bolt action? Auto? Lever?

What terrain do you live in and what terrain is your BOL?

You could go with everything from a Marlin 336 and a pile of ammo to an SKS with even more ammo. Bolt actions open up a lot of options.

If you are looking for a single rifle that can cover deer to squirrels then a .223 with a chamber converter works pretty well. There are also 55gr .22mag rounds which would most likely stabilize better in a fast twist barrel than the 40gr .22lr rounds.

Give a little more details and then folks here will be able to help you better.

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
I'm teaching my daughter (lefty, left-eye dominant) on a right-handed bolt action rifle. It will be so much easier for her down the road if she's able to shoot what she can get her hands on. If people can pitch at the pro level with one hand, she can shoot a right-handed rifle left-handed.

Obviously, this will work much better with right-handed guitars than semi-auto rifles. :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Make a circle with two fingers at arms length, center it on something. Then close one eye and see which eye is centered on it.
unless people have changed since I went to school, most right handed people are left eye dominant.

·
7,683 Posts
Make a circle with two fingers at arms length, center it on something. Then close one eye and see which eye is centered on it.
unless people have changed since I went to school, most right handed people are left eye dominant.
The way I was taught was to point at something in the distance, like across the room. Take turns closing each eye. Whichever eye is centered on the object is the dominant eye. You can try pointing with the right or left, but the results will be the same.

Almost every person I know that is right-handed is right-eye dominant.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia (yeah, I know...) Approximately two thirds of the population is right-eye dominant and one third left-eye dominant; however in a small portion of the population neither eye is dominant.

A test..
http://www.archeryweb.com/archery/eyedom.htm

·
7,683 Posts
The circle is better method and more accurate.
Ok...I'm not sure that you can be 'more accurate' when seeing if you are left or right eye dominant. It's like saying you can be more accurate when determining if it's heads or tails after a coin flip. :rolleyes:

Also, http://www.huntersfriend.com/eye-dominance-issues.htm states that most right-handed people are right-eye dominant, further countering your previous statement.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I dont have to deal with eye dominance, but I am left handed (and left eye dominate... I must be a freak of nature). My advice is go for any RIGHT handed rifle. They are much more common, easier to find replacement parts for, and every company makes them.

If youre going for an AR Stag is about the only one that makes a left handed version. I wound up with a Rock River and just put an ambidextrous safety lever on it. I learned how to operate the mag release right handed while keeping the rifle on my shoulder.

If youre just looking at hunting type rifles you will have a much easier time finding left handed options but in most cases will have to order them and wait for shipment to the store.

My main advice is training, training, training. Either train your eye dominance out somehow or train to shoot right handed. Either way you go, its all about practice. I try to shoot right handed as much as possible with both rifles and pistols. Never know when my left hand may be injured or busy. Shooting left handed around a right hand corner is pretty difficult too.

I would start with something like a .22 simply because they are much more affordable to buy and feed. You can spend $20 on 500 rounds or you can get a bigger caliber and break the bank trying to solve your issues. Anything you learn with the .22 will translate right to a bigger caliber.

·
Isaiah 1:17
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am left handed, I shoot everything right handed fine. Ironically if I try to use or even just hold a left handed rifle it feels really odd. Us lefties can get used to just about anything.

For $600 or so there are a lot of choices. What do you like? You want a bolt action? Auto? Lever?

What terrain do you live in and what terrain is your BOL?

You could go with everything from a Marlin 336 and a pile of ammo to an SKS with even more ammo. Bolt actions open up a lot of options.

If you are looking for a single rifle that can cover deer to squirrels then a .223 with a chamber converter works pretty well. There are also 55gr .22mag rounds which would most likely stabilize better in a fast twist barrel than the 40gr .22lr rounds.

Give a little more details and then folks here will be able to help you better.
I would prefer a bolt action, maybe auto, simply because i like both of them. I am left eye dominant because of an accident in my youth which made my right eye virtually useless. When i shot before my accident i was right eye dominant, and now just as a force of habit automatically hold the gun in my right hand. I do not feel safe holding it in my right hand and aiming with my left, i would like the target hit, not three inches to the right. I live in an urban area, but my BOL is a hilly, wooded area, dense tree patterns and such. Hopefully this helps.

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
In that case, think about going with an EOTech sight or red dot sight system adjusted to your dominant eye. Once you have the red dot sight zeroed to your dominate eye, then where you put the red dot is where the bullet will go. The red dot sights, especially the EOTech, let you zero the sight so that even if there is a shift because of your head position it will still put the bullet where the dot lands or is placed on the target. Try the simulator listed in their site to see what I mean.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think AK's are the ideal fighting rifle setup for left handed guys. I'm a lefty and everything on an AK is easier for us. You should be able to get an AK and scope it with a side rail mount for around $600

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
For your price point you can go with a Marlin 336, an XS Sight system (irons and mid optic) and then either get a holo/red dot site or a scout scope. You can also go with a traditional optic if you like.

In your area the .30-30 shooting Leverevolution ammo OR just regular old Winchester soft point ammo will be a fine choice. The firearms are not expensive (really cheap used), they are accurate, hold a good amount of ammo and they hit just hard enough for almost anything you would be worried about outside of big brown bears.

They also do not draw a lot of attention to you.

Further, you can load them way down and make a 'squirrel/rabbit' round that won't destroy too much meat.

·
Lux in Tenebris
8,076 Posts
I just did your test, i'm a righty and right eye dominant... :)

That said, get a kel tec RFB, outside your budget though, dream gun fo sure...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.