Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
100% reliable grape vine information.

A MAJOR US State Agency is expecting operational difficulties due to not having sufficient spare parts for their response vehicles; parts that are normally Made In China.

I think most of those vehicles are made/sold by Ford.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Not unexpected really. Global supply chains in the vehicle industry have been around for 20 years.

·
Beware of the dog!
1,939 Posts
My guess is, if this is legit, the aftermarket items like all the extra LED lights, light bars, control panels, and possibly even the radios and communication accessories. All the cheap s#!+ made in China. But that would only apply to the customizing shops that have the contracts to add the requested items on after an agency purchased the vehicle/chassis from the dealer/manufacturer.

·
Electronic Grease Monkey
509 Posts
It's. not just the shiny parts, If the EMTs in your area roll up in a diesel ambulance, there are some critical fuel system components that have been failing at a high rate, those parts were slow to arrive last fall , now on the order sheet instead of a backorder status a week or so out, ship date shows 00/00/0000. All three big manufactures supply their pumps from the same vendor. I have two county sanitation compactor trucks and one meat wagon all waiting on the same parts kits. Furthermore just who is going to work on that meat wagon when we run out of PPE and sanitizer. The guys are already spending lots of time trying to decontaminate regular custie cars, they are twitchy thinking about what goo is on your steering wheel and with a row of ambulances in the lot , my mechanics may just keep on driving past the shop one morning.

·
spirit animal / unicorn
2,143 Posts
I could give them a ride on my handlebars...

Seriously, will what you're talking about be that much of a problem? How often is a vehicle stopped by the need for a repair? The cops don't drive old cars where I live. There will still be a few parts around, and they could go to the junkyard, or drive different vehicles.

It's interesting, but in countries like America, I think the practical effect, for quite a while, would just be to make cops a tiny little bit more ghetto.

OTOH, I guess cops do have a job where they put a lot of miles on vehicles, and that causes you to need a lot more maintenance than if it were just an hour or two average of driving each day.

I dunno. I guess to know the real effect, you need cops to tell you how much replacement stuff their department buys for cars every month.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Not unexpected, I agree.

I figured that would be an issue for many vehicles, which is why I bought a year supply of filters and fluids for my vehicle in addition to fuel/water pumps, hoses, and belts the first week of February.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts