Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I will have a decent amount of money coming in a few months(2 months) and I want to get into reloading. I want to get a turret or progressive stage press because my brother has a single stage and I want to speed up production. So far we have only been using dies for .38 and .357 on his single stage, but I want to start reloading .223 on a pogressive. With the exception of a case tumbler, what would you suggest as a good press?(Links please) And what accessories would you suggest along with it?(Dies, which powder, primers, etc.) I already kinda know what brass I will probably use(picked up brass that we've saved) and what bullets I'll use(the cheapest ones I can find that are of decent quality, the majority of ammo I make for the first few months will be plinking ammo.) Also, any tips are greatly appreciated, whether they're for reloading in general or .223 specific.

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
Dillion, Dillion, and again Dillion

Reactions: 84tecate

·
357 Mag, sex for the hand
439 Posts
I looked them up, if its possible I'd rather get one in the $100-$200 price range. More than that may be do-able if my brother pitches in, but I dont know if he'll be able to...
Most progressives Ive seen go from around 400-1000 greenbacks, unless you can find somthing used I think you might be SOL.

I do second Dillion as the one to buy, Ive been reloading on the 550B and love it. Also to be noted their customer service is nothing short of awesome, they will take care of you if you buy there product.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
I'd have to suggest, first of all, a Rockchucker. But if you insist on a progressive and since it is your first .... I'd suggest a Hornady LNL AP with a bullet feeder set up. (I'm a Dillon man but since this is your first ...). Anyway.

Stock up on a lot of components too ... and cover all your bases with the dies.

·
Gettin There
1,645 Posts
In addition get a good reloading manual. They will tell you everything you need to start with from different bullets, to different powders, primers, case oal, etc all the way down. They are essential to reloading.

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
Ok in the price range you are talking progressives are out, Avoid the lee progressives like a poop throwing monkey. The lee turret press is pretty darn good, but once I have a suitable reloading bench setup I can go just as fast with a quality single stage, and yes lee makes a few quality single stage presses.

I load volume and have a piggy back rcbs press, I dont use it. I just cant keep the quality level I desire with it.

Instead I Have 3 single stage presses set up to do the necessary press steps.

The best thing I have used to increase the volume of ammo produced while maintaining a very high quality round in the lyman powder scale and dispenser , its fast.

Reactions: Gallo Pazzesco

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
For your price, Lee Classic Turret press is your only option (New)

You may be able to find a Dillon or Hornady or RCBS Pro 2000 used on ebay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.