Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time around, and I'm on a bit of a budget. Later on when I have more expertise, and know how to spend it ... I'll put more money in. For now ... mid-range, not-junk is fine.

So, I'm building an AR carbine, for (hopefully never) defensive use under 200m.

I am considering the Vortex SPR-200 Spitfire Prism Scope 1x-AR.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-spitfire-ar-1x-prism-scope

I like this design, and the convenience of AAA battery usage. It's important for it to to be 1x so I can have both eyes open while engaging. And the street price of $249 sounds about right for my budget.

Am I on the right track here? Is this the right tool for the job? Have others had a good experience with this optic?

Thanks,
--K

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
vortex sparc, red dot. Burris prism 332 3X catch the deal right, you get a free fastfire holo, the burris, even with a dead batt you have a black etch rect. Replace it with a Trijicon ACOG later.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vortex sparc, red dot. Burris prism 332 3X catch the deal right, you get a free fastfire holo, the burris, even with a dead batt you have a black etch rect. Replace it with a Trijicon ACOG later.

I looked at all the options and gave the ones suggested here a second look, and went ahead and got the spitfire AR ... same feature w dead battery, you still have the reticle ...

But an ACOG might be under the Xmas tree this year!

Good input from everyone, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
With a little practice, you can keep both eyes open even with a scope...I use a 3X Nikon, about half the price of the Vortex Sparc. I also have a Vortex 2-7X32 Crossfire II, about the same price. Both have BDC reticles. You give up some of the speed of the red dot, but my old eyes appreciate the magnification, and if I do want to shoot longer ranges, I have holdover right there, and no batteries to worry about.:thumb:

And yes, I know he's talking 200 yards and less, so there is no holdover involved...but stuff happens.;)

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,138 Posts
I have the Spitfire and it will do the job no problem.

After using it though, I think all the circles make it a bit cluttered. But it will make a great first optic and let you know what you need to know, and when you get a fancier optic you can put it on your backup AR.

Knowing what I know now, I would have gone with Primary Arms. And I do have 2 Primary Arms optics. But I still have the Spitfire on my truck gun.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Good thread. I'm looking for options for one of my AR's. Changing the topic slightly. Do you guys like a red dot or green better and why?

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
because you can always drop the prisim to duty

Why spend the money if your getting a 1200 dollar acog in six months
on a backup rifle. or sell it for as much as you got in it. I got the simplest ACOG. TAO-1. never had a ACOG bump loose, nor fog up even in the wet sc heat. a decent scope will always be used on something else, cheap knockoff clones will end up in a box with half a dozen others. that didnt hold or last. the prismatic, even work WELL WITH A DEAD BATT. any of em.:thumb:

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,138 Posts
on a backup rifle. or sell it for as much as you got in it. I got the simplest ACOG. TAO-1. never had a ACOG bump loose, nor fog up even in the wet sc heat. a decent scope will always be used on something else, cheap knockoff clones will end up in a box with half a dozen others. that didnt hold or last. the prismatic, even work WELL WITH A DEAD BATT. any of em.:thumb:
Agreed! My favorite prism is the Primary Arms 3x with the ACSS reticle.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
htis is the burris

recticle i prefer. you have to watch which one your getting, some are a tad busier than i like. mines 3 color and basic black. to me reaches out a lil better.:thumb: thats what it looks like, with a hood as well./

Attachments

·
American fearmaker
14,241 Posts
For a long time I used a simple 4 power scope as my primary system for my civilian version of a M-4 carbine. The scope did not cost a whole lot of money and it had reticles that were illuminated so night use was easy too.

The 4 power scope gave me a good, clear field of vision when I used it and it was easy to zero as well. I zeroed mine at 50 yards for a center mass target shot using 55 grain bullets in those days. I had all the confidence in the world in that rifle and scope system. In addition the scope was not a long tube either. The scope was a short, compact version of a 4 power scope. I still have the scope around the house and may put it back into use again because it's just such a good deal for all purpose survival and general shooting needs.

·
That'll be the day...
3,487 Posts
I started off with a RedDot and hated it. Pulled it off the gun and sold it after the first trip to the range.

I think there is a lot to be said about a 1-5x or 1-6x, cause being able to dial it down to 1x for close up work is a huge plus.

But I ended up getting this little 3-9x32 that is fantastic. Once zero'd, it has held its adjustments, even being rough with the gun. And the price is crazy good.

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-3-9X32-BugBuster-Scope-Mil-dot/dp/B005UGIMNQ

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Red dots are fine for clearing dimly lit, smoke filled rooms where you shoot anything that moves, but in the real world of outside in the sunlight you need one of the good 1-4 or 1-6 scopes already recommended.

If you still want the "dot" then buy one with illuminated recticles and set it on 1x and it will accomplish the same thing and still give you magnification for medium distance shooting.

·
Registered
18,016 Posts
Red dots are fine for clearing dimly lit, smoke filled rooms where you shoot anything that moves, but in the real world of outside in the sunlight you need one of the good 1-4 or 1-6 scopes already recommended.

If you still want the "dot" then buy one with illuminated recticles and set it on 1x and it will accomplish the same thing and still give you magnification for medium distance shooting.

I actually preferred a red dot (M68) on my M4 when in the gunners hatch of an MRAP. Was easier to put the dot on the bad guy while the vehicle was rocking around versus trying to line up a redacle. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Fenced In
3,257 Posts
I have an astigmatism, so some reticles absolutely don't work for me. The Vortex Spitfire DOES work for me, to the point of truly being a "game changer" for my shooting. I highly recommend it if it will suit your needs. I have another rifle with a Strike Eagle 1-6X that I also like a great deal, but I generally just go straight to 6X magnification on that one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts