Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my generator setup (enclosure) 99.5% finished. Will finish today. Like clockwork the local transformer blew. Wife and I heard it. My neighbor, at my suggestion, went the lazy/expensive way, and did the generac install way (I don't blame them, but I want ultimate portability). His kicked in as planned, and gives me a sound standard for his setup.

Sadly I foresee this as an indicator of things to come. The electrical infrastructure is antiquated and our co-op (most) won't fix until broken and then parts will be an issue since they come from China land.

It's going to get to 63° so not sweating it and Mrs TNRonin saw the bucket truck inbound while she was headed out to work. This reenforces the candy coating of society view.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I like my whole house standby generator that is double sized of what I need so I can power everything including heavy equipment while on the generator. Also have 3 other portable generators for varied tasks from 5,500 to a little 800 watt guy.

I understand it’s expensive but I think all buried utilities is the way to go. No worry about a majority of the power grid issues. And being buried should be more emp resistant.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The other issue with burring utilities is where are you going to bury them. Right of ways were originally given for roads to be built and maintained by governments. Then utilities came in and started putting in over head lines, the right of way made the most sense, but now the government has to deal with utility poles in their way when mowing and plowing snow. Then phone, cable, internet, buried power, natural gas, fiber optic and a few others came in and the natural place to put them was in the right of way.

Now the government is last in line for use of the right of way. My township has lots of places were we have water problems flowing over the road. Normally it would be an days work to dig a bit of a ditch there and put a culvert under the road for a cost of a few thousand dollars. But in the spot we want to dig the ditch there are 4 utilities. It is the township's responsibility to pay to have them moved if we want to dig a ditch to protect our road from damage and make the road safer for traffic.

We did one job where we cut a hill when rebuilding a road. It took a crew of 4 people, 2 excivators, and bulldozer a full week to relocate a fiber optic line that ran in the township's right of way in order to cut the hill and make the road safer. And the township had to pay for it.

And this is in a fairly rural township, imagine how hard it is to bury anything in a big city.

·
Indefatigable
22,035 Posts
And this is in a fairly rural township, imagine how hard it is to bury anything in a big city.
How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...We lived in an apartment in downtown Tulsa when they came to our section to bury things. Other than the detour and noise, they scheduled the outages so that we had utilities at the peak times. It took them about 6 weeks and they moved on.
5 years later we live on the outskirts of the city and they finally made it out this far last summer. It was about the same. In the end, the neighborhood got a bunch of old tree's trimmed on empty lots , new sidewalks and curbside landscaping.

Reactions: Offrink

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I've got my generator setup (enclosure) 99.5% finished. Will finish today. Like clockwork the local transformer blew. Wife and I heard it. My neighbor, at my suggestion, went the lazy/expensive way, and did the generac install way (I don't blame them, but I want ultimate portability). His kicked in as planned, and gives me a sound standard for his setup.

Sadly I foresee this as an indicator of things to come. The electrical infrastructure is antiquated and our co-op (most) won't fix until broken and then parts will be an issue since they come from China land.

It's going to get to 63° so not sweating it and Mrs TNRonin saw the bucket truck inbound while she was headed out to work. This reenforces the candy coating of society view.
Similar boat here, living rural in a growing area. Utilities stretched thin, and last year the winter storm in Texas broke the system. That's what brought me to self-reliance in times of stress, the lack of utilities due to hurricanes and outages. Any time the wind blows, the lights flicker. Last month they were trimming trees by the power lines, and it didn't help at all.

My wife rolls her eyes every time the power goes out, or a storm is predicted. She knows how much pride I take in being ready for anything. She enjoys the benefits, just gets bored when I try and explain how it's all tied together. We have a few generators and 2 weeks of fuel (4 if we empty the tractor/toys) if needed. Our providence is the half-assed solar arrays I set up. One at the shop, one on the house, both have enough battery for the night and then some. Once I went solar, the generators have not been used. Guess I need to test them this weekend. Wouldn't mind a whole-house generator, even a portable one with a transfer switch. Just can't justify it to the wife, yet... need another winter storm and she's onboard.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've had a Generac 13kw natural gas fired generator for about 18 years now. Electricity here is pretty reliable but there's been a couple of extended outages of a day or more over the years. Just last year a heavy snow took down trees all over and power was out for over a day. Well water, furnaces, and all refrigerators and freezers kept on humming along. Lights in most areas of the home.

I've gone years with no outages and it's still a great piece of mind knowing I won't be in the dark, ever.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the enclosure finished and ran to check heat. It was 63 today so temp would be cooler when running.

I've got some more to do but it's minor.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts