Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a mod-top today in about 3 hours. I tool a BDU jacket and unsewed the bottom pockets. I then hot glued them to the shoulders of the jacket (no patches) and hotglued sections of Velcro so that its similar to the modern ACU. Wasn't much work, most of it was planning. It has Velcro for flags on each shoulder pocket and the right shoulder has a name tape Velcro. I also glued one IRtab onto each shoulder pocket. I plan to use the sewing machine later to finalize it.
I'd post pictures, but I can't figure out how to save my life... So just google BDU ModTop :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I googled it, Top result was some ebay nonsense, 2nd was this thread, and the rest of the page was related to paintball jerseys.
Sorry, here's an idea of SF modifications

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21963-modified-military-jackets/page-9

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
Personally don't care for all the Velcro on the sleeves. In the civilian world serves no function, and if say sitting in a deer stand and reach for your rifle, the velcro sometimes makes the noise of separating Velcro which will send a deer running.

·
Fertilizer Producer
3,103 Posts
I made a mod-top today in about 3 hours. I tool a BDU jacket and unsewed the bottom pockets. I then hot glued them to the shoulders of the jacket (no patches) and hotglued sections of Velcro so that its similar to the modern ACU. Wasn't much work, most of it was planning. It has Velcro for flags on each shoulder pocket and the right shoulder has a name tape Velcro. I also glued one IRtab onto each shoulder pocket. I plan to use the sewing machine later to finalize it.
I'd post pictures, but I can't figure out how to save my life... So just google BDU ModTop :p
What's the point of flags and shoulder patches? Are we going to be wearing our Official Prepper Club patches and Gadsden Flags when TSHTF? Will the bad guys be wearing Cannibal Raider patches and morale patches showing how many babies they've eaten? :confused:

Hot glue?! Why? Put anything heavy into that, pull on it, or even get it hot/wet, and your pocket is gone. Plus you've moved up weight from the lower front of your body to shoulders, which is going to be an issue if you're wearing a pack, have a jacket on, etc.

Can't do enough thumbs down on velcro here. It's noisy, it wears out, and you can't fix it with a needle and thread like you can buttons. There's a reason that the BDU had buttons and not velcro.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the point of flags and shoulder patches? Are we going to be wearing our Official Prepper Club patches and Gadsden Flags when TSHTF? Will the bad guys be wearing Cannibal Raider patches and morale patches showing how many babies they've eaten? :confused:

Hot glue?! Why? Put anything heavy into that, pull on it, or even get it hot/wet, and your pocket is gone. Plus you've moved up weight from the lower front of your body to shoulders, which is going to be an issue if you're wearing a pack, have a jacket on, etc.

Can't do enough thumbs down on velcro here. It's noisy, it wears out, and you can't fix it with a needle and thread like you can buttons. There's a reason that the BDU had buttons and not velcro.
Actually, the only Velcro on it is for the flag/name patch. My survivalist "group" have custom patches for fun/ID. Every pocket is button.
And I wanted to see how it looked without spending time sewing, which is why I have 999 other BDU sets. Now I see its nice, I'll invest more time.
I do agree though, Velcro pockets suck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts