Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you read my other post about my first food prep purchase this follows along much the same way. I made my first medical prep yesterday, while it wasn't much, I believe it was a good first step. At target I found a locking Sterilite container for less than $2, along with that I bought an assortment of bandages, some anti-bacterial ointment, and topped it off with some Aspirin. All told I should have had a First aid kit anyway even if I wasn't prepping, but I guess better late than never. In the future purchases I'm going to get some gauze and stuff of that nature.

If you live in an area where there is a Fred's store, please note that they are doing a promotion that allows you to receive a free bottle of 100 ct Aspirin after presented with a coupon found in the sale paper at the front of the store. Note: the offer ends the 8th of February 2016.

·
Registered
9,245 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Just pick up a few bits every time you go to the shop, or buy a ready made kit and add to it.

If they do them where you work or close to you sign up for a short First Aid course, just to give you the very basics. Even if it goes out of date all the basics remains the same.

For me I was a First Aider where I worked, then a carer for my Dad, which brought me into contact with Drs and more importantly Community Nurses. By watching the later I picked up numerous tips and ways to deal with various thing.

·
This space for rent
311 Posts
Dollar stores are a good source for basic supplies.
As much as i love dollar stores, a few cautions about getting first aid supplies there:

- the rubbing alcohol tends to be 50% concentration, which doesn't disinfect well compared to 70%, according to studies. Neither does hydrogen peroxide by the way.

- the trauma shears i bought were garbage. Couldn't cut through fabric.

- the bandages fall off skin quickly in my experience, unlike the original Band Aid brand.

On the plus side, the gauze, tape, and antiseptic wipes were fine.

OP - a good point was made about increasing your skill level before increasing supplies. Here is a free, online first aid course to get you started: :thumb:
http://www.firstaidforfree.com/

·
Registered
189 Posts
Planning a field first aid kit

I sat down today, planned and priced (through Amazon) a basic (or maybe not quite basic) first aid kit for use in the field. I'm a former Infantryman and have been trained for the usage of all items included in this kit. The expensive pieces I put in there on purpose: Quikclot, Israeli field dressing and the cravat. Feel free to comment. To the OP, this may be a path you can go down if people think the kit is solid. Always take the advice of not getting something if you don't know how and why to use it. (I'm not advocating any of the brands in here, that just happened to be what Amazon was selling at the price point I thought reasonable). This is not an inexpensive kit.

Israeli Battle Dressing 6"
Turniquet - Ari-Ale-tools
QuikClot
Trauma Shears
black Nitrile gloves - SAS Safety 66518 (box of 100) (carry 2 pair)
Steri Strips (butterfly bandage 1 box of 60) (carry a set of 6)
Box of Band-Aid type bandages (100 assorted) (carry assortment of 15)
Tube Neosporin (.5 oz)
Saline wound wash (case of 6 - 6 oz. bottles, carry 1)
Medline Gauze Sponge Sterile 12 Ply, 50 Count (carry 4)
Curity Gauze Roll Bandage Sterle 3in x 75in ( 7.6cm x 1.9m ), 12 / box (carry 1)
Sani-Hans Antimicrobial Hand Wipes - 10 pack (carry 5)
Dynarex Povidone Iodine Prep Solution 16 oz (carry 4 oz.)
Bayer Aspirin Individual Sealed 2 Tablets in a Packet (Pack of 50 Packets) (carry 5)
GoodSense Ibuprofen Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer Tablets (NSAID), 200 mg, 100 Count (carry 2)
Pac-Kit by First Aid Only 9-001 Ammonia Inhalant Capsule (Box of 10) (carry 1)
Nexcare Durable Cloth Carded 1-Inch Wide First Aid Tape, 10-Yard Roll, 2-Count Package (carry 1)
Super Combat Cravat (Dry Sterile Burn Dressing & Cravat)

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Vet supplies are often much cheaper though gauze may be only clean not sterile. I got a dozen ace type bandages for $3-4.
On amazon airway sets are only a few bucks but you need to know how to use them. And there is a generic Sam splint for about half the price of the original. YouTube has videos on how to use many items.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I intend to get with the medics in my unit to see if I can get a small class on first aid, I don't remember much from basic about first aid and trauma besides how to use a Tourniquet

·
Lux in Tenebris
8,086 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.