Survivalist Forum banner

First Look: Ruger American Ranch Rifle (7.62x39)

449 5
These seem to have been out of production for quite some time, so I was surprised to see one pop up in an ad from my local LGS.
I heard through the grapevine that they had several other calibers (also in the ad) but they didn't expect to get the 7.62x39 copy.

Nevertheless,I gave a call as I saw that their on-line store was showing them in stock.
They told me that they didn't plan on getting them but I could order from the online store for delivery to their store (for an extra charge, of course.

I asked him to check the other stores to see if they had one. He hesitated at first but said he could go in the back an try.
To both or our surprise he said that one had just come in to the store but hadn't been put out yet. He agreed to hold it for a short time and I grabbed my keys.
Aircraft Engineering Composite material Font Event

I took it out for a first go at an indoor range and, although at only 30 meters, I was very impressed with it. It took a bit of time for the bolt to work smoothly but I have the same in 300 Blackout and it was the same.

The scope is only 1x4 but I will probably swap it out when the weather improves and I can get it on a longer range.

I have been helping a friend work up suppressed loads for his Howa 7.62x39 so I hope to give it a go with his suppressor.

The factory Mini-30 magazines work great but the Promag (which would work with the Mini-30 that I had) would not mount at all.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
311 Posts
i've built 2 of these into scout rifles. 1 5.56 I gave to my dad with an AR, and second a .308 for me. Rifle was smooth out of the box. I've ran dog**** ammo through both regularly and they run just fine. The 308 got real real accurate after warming up the barrel with a full AICS mag through it. I only have a 3x9 on it, same as dad's. But its tighter than I can shoot. If I was willing to buy more reloads I'd shoot it a ton more. I also use it as a deer gun. heavy round is great in the woods. I've put up the 35 rem which was my old tried and true woods gun. the american is just so much lighter and easier to shoot. And the range of the 308 makes it a great all arounder in my opinion. Its like a damn boxer mix, big dumb, heavy, goes forever and hits like a ton of bricks.

· Registered
1,243 Posts
These seem to have been out of production for quite some time, so I was surprised to see one pop up in an ad from my local LGS.
I heard through the grapevine that they had several other calibers (also in the ad) but they didn't expect to get the 7.62x39 copy.

Nevertheless,I gave a call as I saw that their on-line store was showing them in stock.
They told me that they didn't plan on getting them but I could order from the online store for delivery to their store (for an extra charge, of course.

I asked him to check the other stores to see if they had one. He hesitated at first but said he could go in the back an try.
To both or our surprise he said that one had just come in to the store but hadn't been put out yet. He agreed to hold it for a short time and I grabbed my keys.
View attachment 496674

I took it out for a first go at an indoor range and, although at only 30 meters, I was very impressed with it. It took a bit of time for the bolt to work smoothly but I have the same in 300 Blackout and it was the same.

The scope is only 1x4 but I will probably swap it out when the weather improves and I can get it on a longer range.

I have been helping a friend work up suppressed loads for his Howa 7.62x39 so I hope to give it a go with his suppressor.

The factory Mini-30 magazines work great but the Promag (which would work with the Mini-30 that I had) would not mount at all.
Interesting. I see Buds has them in stock. Do you have a specific purpose in mind for it?
A have a few AK variants and a mini 30... Hadn't thought about a bolt action. Might be nice suppressed with heavies. Just not sure what for.

· Lux in Tenebris
8,901 Posts
Interesting. I see Buds has them in stock. Do you have a specific purpose in mind for it?
A have a few AK variants and a mini 30... Hadn't thought about a bolt action. Might be nice suppressed with heavies. Just not sure what for.
targets of opportunity....

kinda like the Snipers of the IRA..

Fry the Brain kinda stuff...

\\\\

Attachments

· Father of 11 husband of 1
11,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I like the caliber and I have the means to feed it. The bolt action is more accurate than any SKS or AK that I have owned.
+ it was under $500 and no transfer fee.
Since you already have the Mini-30, you already have the magazines. (Grabagun seems to have the best price on replacement magazines.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts