Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or should I say first gunshow since the farce called an election.

Report:

Attendance was through the roof setting an all time record for this particular two day show, in just one day!

Sales like attendance were through the roof, I looked down at 9:30 and didn't get a chance to look up until almost 5:00. Show hours today were from 9-5 and we set a record for sales of both firearms and ammunition, in just one day! I made the decision to hire two other people I knew who had their sellers numbers to help out at this show, and had two computers running full time all day trying to keep up with all the NICS checks, and we still couldn't manage.

Sales were very good on "assault" style firearms and I'm nearly out (one AK, three AR's, and one Druganov are all that's left), and I have absolutely no way to replace them. I have almost 60 "assault weapons" on back order right now and won't be receiving them for about 6-8 months, that's the backorder!! Every vendor I know right now is in the same predicament and are at the mercy of the manufacturers and wholesalers. Surplus rifles, including SKS's, were also flying off the tables as fast as people could get them, and I'm sure that with the frenzy of the moment they too will dry up soon. I'm nearly out of handguns, four tables with handguns stacked four deep at the beginning of the show and I now have about two tables worth with no ammunition left for any of them.

Listen folks, getting this business up and running has been a dream of mine for more than four years. I've also been in this business many years for other dealers and remember well the clintoon paranoia and fear, but it was nothing like this! There was a genuine sense of urgency with the type of purchases that were being made, and people were buying all that they could without trying to haggle. If it keeps up like it is, and without being able to replenish my inventories, I'll soon be out of business as I'll not have the merchandise that people are looking for.

I'm posting this for all those who are considering a first time purchase or are considering upgrading what you have and building up your stocks of ammo. If you don't get it now, there may not be anything available when you do decide to buy!!

I will post an update as to what it's like tomorrow.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Great post sixpack..Thanks a Million! This i posted in another thread, but seems like it needs to be shared here too. It is a direct quote from osamabama's change.gov website:

Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.

Read it and stock up.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
This just seems unreal. I was at a gunshow last weekend and I felt the same underpinnings. I still have the phone number of a guy who wants to buy my AR cash. I would do it if I knew I could get another receiver.

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
I went to a gunshowtoday and the attendance was insane! Huge lines everywhere! The prices were insane also. A used Marlin 30-30 without a scope for $450? Are you crazy? Dicks has a new one with a scope for $339. I saw my Saiga 7.62 for $595! I paid $350 with 2 extra mags 4-5 months ago! They were asking over $300 for sks in fair condition at best! I could do far better at my local gun shop. A lot of husbands and wives were getting handguns.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Same attendance here in Denver on Saturday. After I had a look around and was waiting for my paper work to comeback, my brother and I went outside to get away from the crowd. The line outside was a long as the building, I figured it would be just a matter of time before the fire marshal started turning people away. Very few deals to be had, heard a lot of people complaining about price gouging. Even the price to get in changed the day of the show. The "assault weapons" dealers seemed to be doing very well and so to were the dealers with hi-cap magazines, but very little ammo at the show. I don't know what some of the guys will be selling in a few months, not much left to be had out there.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Was at a show today (Not large approx 300 tables)
And it was packed (second day) wall to wall.
I was looking for reloading components, mainly bullets...Nanada, zip, zero on the pistol bullets.
Got a can of .357 Sig, from GA. Arms which usually carries Zero bullets, which I like to use in my pistols & revolvers..None and don't know when they will have anymore.
Firearms were moving out the door, but glad I wasn't buying...High.
Saw some MN rifles that had a nice laminated stock, for $340.00!
The least expensive new AR 15 type (M 4 actually) was at Anvil Arms. $950, if I remember correctly. May have been some cheaper, but I did not see any.
Guess I'll have to go see what the local cast lead bullet maker has...

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gunshow day two.

Man am I beat..................

Today continued as yesterday with brisk sales in all types of firearms. My selection of pistols are down to less than a dozen, I have no SKS's, no AK's, and no AR's and the last Dragunov is gone. Every magazine I had for AR's, AK's, FAL's, H&K/Cetme, and stripper clips for SKS's are gone along with any mag pouches and other accessories. I ran a sale on all 91/30's and M44's this weekend for $99, and sold more than twenty of them..................

On the surplus side: I was selling any of the USGI MOLLE vests I had as well as any gas masks, BDU's, M65 field jackets, helmets, knee/elbow pads, hydration systems, packs, and goggles.

All other vendors I talked to reported record sales for this show, and all are running low on inventory. As we were breaking down after the show I couldn't help but think about what the Chantilly show will be like next weekend and how worried I am about not having enough inventory.

I talked to the promoter this morning about Chantilly and they are projecting attendance there to be in excess of 22,000 people. Chantilly is one of the largest gunshows on the east coast and has an average attendance of about 12,000 people, so it should be very interesting.

This is getting real serious folks, and there won't be anything changing for a while. Things may slow down after the obaminations inauguration if satans underling doesn't push for any gun control measures, and if he does.....................You decide for yourselves.

Oh, one bright spot in all this mess!! I had the extreme pleasure of telling one of the obamination minions, that I would not sell him a firearm! The douchebag had the nerve to walk up to my tables wearing an obamination pin, and wanted to look at the last AR I had on my tables. When he asked if "I could do anything about the price", I told him that I didn't care if he offered me ten times my asking price the rifle was not for sale to him! He tried to buy from at least three other dealers, and was flatly turned down by all! As far as I'm concerned, the brainwashed idiot can fight off the rest of the zombies with his obamination pin! Kudo's to the other dealers for not selling their souls to the idiot for a few bucks. I will let this be known, if I found out that anyone buying a firearm, ammunition, or anything else, voted for the obamination, that sale will be terminated!!

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Sixpack- i'm buyin you a beer, maggot!

Reactions: Sweeper

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Sixpack, you mentioned surplus items going fast also.
Didn't Clinton make them stop selling surplus masks, for awhile?
Could be looking at a drying up of that sort of equipment also.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I think I'll skip our up coming gun show(first one I'll have missed this time of year in years) being though I would like to buy a few items it won't be worth the hassle with that kind of crowd and I can still get most of what I want online.

Reactions: faol

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sixpack, you mentioned surplus items going fast also.
Didn't Clinton make them stop selling surplus masks, for awhile?
Could be looking at a drying up of that sort of equipment also.
If I remember correctly, I think he did. I buy most of my surplus from the government and lately it's been getting tougher to get, I've also been requested to return some items that they sold me. As far as surplus drying up, I don't know as only time will tell.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
I live way out in the sticks. There are a few local gun shops that are very small. One of the larger ones is in a small hardware store. I stopped by this past friday. The parking lot was crammed full (usually there is never more than 4 cars in the parking lot) and there were a few cars parked on the shoulders. I just figured they were having some type of sale on tools or heaters or something. I was amazed that there was a crowd around the small gun section of the store. There were several wives there making purchases for their husbands, and I watched all of them add a pistol for themselves. Three of the women I watched had obviously never handled a pistol before, but they were determined to get one. The men were buying up just about everything else. Everything is disappearing everywhere.

For now, this is bad. IF the a ban is not spoken of for the next year, there will be a lot of one year old arms (new and unused) flooding the market, along with ammo, as the economy continues to sink and people's fears subside. However, if the Obama nation even whispers anything about a ban, the prices and availability will continue to skyrocket.

We'll see, but I am not waiting around. I pick up what I can when I can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Portland is having it's first gunshow post election (wouldn't call it a farce but more a democracy having made it's voice heard) at the end of the week.

I'm looking for a Saiga in .223 and I fear for what they're going to be asking for them... The Gun Broker price gougers had $300-$350 for all RAA .223 Saigas a couple weeks ago and now they're $400-$520. If I can't find what I want for $350 I'll just knuckle up and get the Lancaster Arms .223 Saiga.

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
In todays paper, and this was just a 250 table show. :eek:

I'm almost dreading next weekends show in Chantilly, it's more than 1,000 tables........:(

5,700 attend Richmond Gun Show

Some dealers, buyers attribute spike in sales in part to worries about an Obama administration

Monday, Nov 17, 2008 - 12:08 AM

By REED WILLIAMS
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

SLIDESHOW: A rush to buy guns

Sales of Shotgun ammunition, .12 gauge home defense slugs, were for sale at the Richmond Gun Show. Ammo sales were off the charts, organizers and exhibitors said.

Sales of ammunition were so brisk Saturday on the first day of the Richmond Gun Show that Terry Coffman said he didn't have much left to sell yesterday.

"Everybody's scared to death," said Coffman, a salesman for Georgia Arms in Villa Rica, Ga., adding that sales for the business have skyrocketed in the past two weeks. "I appreciate the Democrats completely, because they sell more guns and ammo than anyone else has for us."

Fears that President-elect Barack Obama and a Democratic-controlled Congress will tighten restrictions on firearms have prompted gun aficionados nationwide to rush out and buy firearms. That trend played out over the weekend during the gun show at the Richmond Raceway Complex in Henrico County, which saw higher-than-usual attendance.

But Alice Mountjoy, government-relations coordinator for the Virginia Center for Public Safety, a gun-control advocacy group, said people who are afraid of Obama's politics are being paranoid, noting that the president-elect has said he respects the Second Amendment.

Last month, there was a 15 percent increase in the number of background checks for gun purchases nationwide, compared with the year before, according to The Associated Press. The number was up about 8 percent for the year as of Oct. 26.

In Virginia, there was a 22.8 percent spike in background checks in October, compared with the same month in 2007, said Corinne Geller, a spokeswoman for the Virginia State Police. And there was an increase of about 12 percent in the number of checks from the first of this year through Nov. 1, compared with the same period last year.

Geller said the higher volume is causing delays in state background checks.

Several gun dealers yesterday said they have seen a spike in sales over the past month that they attribute in part to worries about an Obama administration, and some customers echoed that sentiment. Promoters of the Richmond Gun Show, likewise, were thanking Obama and the Democrats for the more than 5,700 people who attended the two-day show that ended yesterday. About 4,000 people attended last November.

Farmville resident Ian Brock, a target-shooting competitor who owns more than 50 guns, was looking at a $4,300 sniper rifle and said Obama's victory might have persuaded him to spend the money.

Billy Shinn of Gloucester County was toting an M-14 rifle he bought at the gun show, the same type of gun he used in the Vietnam War.

"I think he really and truly wants to take away the right to own guns," Shinn said of Obama. "He doesn't think we need them."

Shinn said he disagrees with the economic bailout, adding that there might come a time when people would be compelled to rise up.

"One of these days, we're going to have a skirmish -- civil war, whatever," he said. "The economy, the politics -- the whole nine yards is coming to a head."

Mountjoy said such fears might sell guns, but they don't reflect the views of the general public.

Some of yesterday's customers said their interests in the rows of handguns, assault rifles and other weapons had nothing to do with politics. Henrico resident Joe Rios said he wants to buy a handgun for target practice with friends.

"I think they're cool," he said. "I like to play with them. Don't want to hurt nobody, that's for sure."

Obama said he favors common-sense gun laws. As a U.S. senator, he voted to leave gun makers and dealers open to lawsuits. As an Illinois state legislator, he supported a ban on all forms of semiautomatic assault weapons and tighter restrictions generally on firearms. He has also indicated support for closing the so-called gun-show loophole, which allows sales of firearms between private individuals at gun shows without criminal background checks being required.

Annette Elliott, a promoter for the Richmond Gun Show, is placing newspaper advertisements for a gun show next week in Chantilly using the slogan "Get your guns while you still can."

"We're actually scared," Elliott said. "We're going to have so many people."
Contact Reed Williams at (804) 649-6332 or [email protected].

Now for another update as to the state of affairs of the gun industry from my end, and folks............It ain't pretty!

I spent the better part of my day trying to replace the inventory I sold this weekend, but without much success.

Here's the bad:

Druganovs -------- Unavailable and on back order.
AK's -------------- Was laughed at.
AR's -------------- See answer for AK's.
Galil's ------------- Unavailable and on back order.
FAL's and Cetme's - Unavailable and on back order.
SKS's ------------- Unavailable and on back order.

Semi-auto pistols both new and surplus the same as above......

Most of those were to be expected and I wasn't counting on getting many, so I wasn't too disapointed. But the real shock came when I tried to reorder Mosins and K98 Mausers. :confused:

The only wholesaler that had any left told me that they wouldn't be able to ship my order for three weeks.....................THREE FRIGGING WEEKS FOR MOSINS!! :eek:

With the way this is going, I'll be out of business in two months because I won't be able to replace the inventory I'm selling. I'm trying to be optimistic about all this, and I'll have to see what happens after next weekend.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
I feel for you SIXPACK. My dealer of 37 years is, for all intensive purposes, out of business as he only has accessories to sell. No guns, no mags, no ammo, no major parts (lowers, uppers, barrels, etc.) and he has no idea when he will get more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I attended the DFW Gun Show this last weekend. This was the first time in 20 years that I'd attended a gun show, and I'd already figured that this show might be guite busy being as it was the first for this area since the election.

OMG! It was absolutely packed! Waiting in line to pay the entrance fee, I listened to some of the conversations going on around me. People were definitely talking about stocking up before January 20th. I did ask around to find out if the crowd was larger than normal and was told that usually you just walk up to the table, pay the entrance fee and walk right in...no waiting.

Inside, on the sales floor, it was a struggle to get close enough to the tables to even view the guns. The bigger dealers were swamped. The tables for filling out the paperwork were full, with people obviously waiting for their turn.

One interesting thing was the overall feeling of comraderie among the attendees. But there was also an underlying sense of "get it now, while the gettin's good!"

I did think the prices were quite high, as I figured I'd be able to find plenty of .22 rifles in my price range. Not so. Finally found what I was looking for at a price just above what I'd figured...it did have a scope, so that made up for the difference.

The next gun show isn't until February...if things don't change too much immediately after the inaugeration. Hoping to attend, but if the prices keep going up, not sure I'll be able to get anything.

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
prepngo, I would recommend you shop your local trader magazines and newspapers for what you are looking for, it might be easier at this time.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
WOW! I thought it was bad when Bill Clinton signed the 1994 crime bill, then it was bad before Y2K 1999 but these reports are over the top. The only glimmer of good news I read on another forum was that people were trading in hunting rifles for other guns. I do not own a good hunting rifle so maybe I can pick up a 30-30 for a good price, but I doubt it. It's like trying to buy plywood at the hardware store the day before a hurricane hits.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts