Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I just purchased my first firearm today - a Ruger SR9C. Due to the California waiting period, I will need to wait 10 days before I can take possession of it.

I wanted something a little bigger, but needed something my wife was comfortable using. I figure that I can always purchase another one down the line - something a little "manlier" for me...

Any advice for a new gun owner?

·
Remember Murphy's Ridge.
603 Posts
That's a nice gun. My wife just sold hers not because she didn't like it but she had her eye on a 1911. She wasn't really interested in carrying when she got the ruger. Now she has a 1911 and is starting to think she might want to start carrying. Go figure. I guess we'll just have to get her another pistol! Hey wait! I don't even have two pistols!

But you wanted advice. Hers did jam a few times. It seemed to be finicky with the ammo. Mag tech seemed to work the best. We didn't experiment with self defense ammo. It doesn't come with a warranty which made me a little uneasy. Overall, it was a good gun. Made in the USA. I carried it a few times and was very comfortable.

Hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Of the two I have had through the shop (fluff & buff), after the second or third box of ammo, they ran like a cat in a dog pound.... Trigger was noticeable in improvement during those break-in rounds.

·
Author, prepper, father
Done
6,792 Posts
Just used a brand new SR9 in the frontsight 4 day course. Before the course I ran 50 rounds through it, during the course, 600+ in 4 days. No failures. I have an SR9C I plan on shooting the heck out of over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi folks,

I just purchased my first firearm today - a Ruger SR9C. Due to the California waiting period, I will need to wait 10 days before I can take possession of it.

I wanted something a little bigger, but needed something my wife was comfortable using. I figure that I can always purchase another one down the line - something a little "manlier" for me...

If you (and your wife) can safely hit the target every time, it doesn't get much more "manlier" than that.:thumb:

You will get something bigger, you just need a better excuse.:D:

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Hi folks,

Forget about the "manly" ego strokes. Get a .22 rifle and pistol so you can learn HOW to shoot well. You should have rented some pistols before making your purchase.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Jeffrey, does Ciener make a .22 conversion for the Ruger? That would be a handy training aid, and I know he builds for the Glock...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I personally have the sr9 over 500 rounds downrange not a single problem.the wife
has the sr9c same deal,she loves the gun.both are very accurate right out of the box.
Great choice and shoot as much as possible.:thumb:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forget about the "manly" ego strokes. Get a .22 rifle and pistol so you can learn HOW to shoot well. You should have rented some pistols before making your purchase.
When I said manlier I really just meant something larger that was more comfortable for me.

Not sure why you assume we didn't try different pistols? We did go shooting several times.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a SR9c that I bought on a whim because it was on sale. It turns out that it's one of my favorite guns! It will cycle anything and follow up shots are quick and easy. The only mod I made to the gun was removal of the mag interlock which took about ten minutes. If u want a great inside the waistband holster ck out Winthrop leathers.By the way, my SR9c has over 700 rds thru it with NO problems. Good luck with your new purchase.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought the sr9c for $369 + $25 for shipping from the internet. I haven't fired it yet but seems to be a nice gun!! I wouldn't want it for a cc, I feel it's a bit big to hide. I'd rather have a snubbed nose 38 (hammerless) revolver for a cc gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love the look of the SR series. I'm currently waiting for my 40 cal and have heard nothing but positive things. Problem is the that Ruger isn't taking more orders currently! The SR is a popular choice apparently. My gun shop says it'll take two weeks minimum before they get any in and I'm third in line ...

On another note, although Ruger aren't known to be widely used by LEO's the low price and durability of the SR series could mean a new contender for the Glock monopoly. I believe there is a blacked out tactical version of the 40 cal SR...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bought one back in december '11. Never had a single issue with it. 750 rounds and counting. I like it allot more than my glock 22 as far as grip goes, and its country of origin. Very accurate as well, you'll love it!

·
Registered
191 Posts
My SR9c has about 1000 rounds through it. Only FTE/FTFs were reloads. It eats anything off the shelf. It really likes the Federal blue box (100 rds) from Wallyworld ($20/box). It's my favorite tool in the shed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took my SR9C to the local firing range and used it for the first time today. I was very happy with its performance. Comfortable grip, manageable recoil, seems to be accurate. Shot 3 different brands of ammo with no FTF's.

Overall I'm pleased with my purchase and have no regrets.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Clean the striker channel, after that enjoy.....
Yes, based off of internet advice I did so before using it. Thanks.

My wife got the bug so we went back to the range today, performed perfectly again.

So far that's 3 brands of ammo for a total of 225 rounds with no problems.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts