Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things have been kinda slow so I thought this might liven them up.

After years of owning only American guns, with the exception of two Ishapore Enfields I finally broke down and purchased a paratrooper SKS. It cost a lot more than they used to but it has taken me this long to make the decision. I will probably never own another commie gun but I have always liked the SKS for it's utilitarian beauty. I am going to keep it stock and shoot the heck out of it. Range report will follow when it arrives.

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
I like American guns as much as the next guy, but have to admit the commies got it right when they developed the SKS. Besides they are a lot of fun to shoot...enjoy.
Peter

Reactions: Rshooter

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
The Communists never built anything you would call beautiful but they sure built guns that work.
I've always wanted a para SKS.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
I have a 7.62x 29 bolt action carbine. With steel jacket rounds I can shoot thru a road grader plow blade. Too powerful for deer, I only use it for target shooting.

·
Banned
84 Posts
PICS PLEASE!!

Sounds like a great rifle :)

IMO the ultimate commie gun would be an AK-74 5.45X39mm with a wooden furniture, a metal triangle krinkov folding stock, and 45rnd bakelight magazines. Some day .... :(

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with foreign firearms, Russian guns are built tough usually anyway!

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics and range report as soon as she comes in, bought her on Gunbroker and paid by check so she is at least two weeks out. My AR, shotgun, and Ishapore will have to do for now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
that top folder is truly evil! Man that's cool looking.

Scout out some butt pads for your SKS in advance, if you are ugly american size of 6' or so the stocks tend to be a little shrimpy. Might need another inch or two to weld right. I am on my third SKS now from a third different country (Yugo this time around) and the problem still persists.

·
U-960
62 Posts
Ahhhh.............The Para SKS. I LOVE 'EM :thumb:

My first one cost me the princely sum of $90 at a local gun show back around 1990. Short, light, handy and accurate as heck. I shot several cases of Chinese steel core through it before times got tight and I sold her for funds for car repairs IIRC.

Pictures please when it arrives :D:

BTW........How do you like the Ishapore???? One of my buddies is looking at one with an eye to buying it and making it his knock around truck gun and I'm wondering how it will serve for him.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Droool! I especially love the old Enfield. My dad used to shoot one for many years in the Rifle Club. It had a 304 barrel and his mates reckoned he could shoot the fuzz off a peach at 900 yds. Anyway it was a nice weapon. Am really looking forward to some pix of the new SKS. Cheers Herne

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Believe it or not I have two of the Ishapores. I bought those when they were cheap. The stocks were stripped to bare wood and then I used Tung Oil on them to bring out the wood. Your biggest issue will most likely be feeding problems related to weak springs. Once you get a new mag you may still have feeding problems related to the lips of the mags not being bent in properly.

After all of that is worked out the real fun begins. You can load them using stripper clips designed for the M1A or the L1A. I really dislike loading one at a time. They are darn fine weapons.

It looks like my SKS ships next week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts