Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to make my first bulk prep food buy and Im tying to get the biggest bang for my buck. Id like to spend around $200. Im looking at Sam's club
50lb rice $20
50lb flour $15
50lb sugar $25
2) 64oz dales $16
10)4lb Iodized salt $10
10)7lb pork and beans $37

Need suggestions. I need some protien and veggies. Please add price and where to get

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
if you like it, and many do not, consider canned chilis of some sort or canned corned beef hash....... proteins and if you find one you like easy to store when bought in case lots from bulk supplier like BJ's or Costco

·
Registered
265 Posts
Im getting ready to make my first bulk prep food buy and Im tying to get the biggest bang for my buck. Id like to spend around $200. Im looking at
50lb rice $20
50lb flour $15
50lb sugar $25
2) 64oz dales $16
10)4lb Iodized salt $10
10)7lb pork and beans $37

Need suggestions. I need some protien and veggies. Please add price and where to get
If you got a menards around hit it before 24th.. big food sale... i droped $200 and scored around 1-2 months worth.
SHADOW

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you like it, and many do not, consider canned chilis of some sort or canned corned beef hash....... proteins and if you find one you like easy to store when bought in case lots from bulk supplier like BJ's or Costco
Ya I hate CBH, but I can do chilli. Sams 7lb can for $7

·
Organ Donor
827 Posts
what smokin said. For $37 you can get 30 pounds of beans, split peas and lentals at Wal-mart. Thats like 3 months of protein for one person to go with the 50 pounds of rice you want to get.

You need to think fats was well. I did the math and if I remember correctly for one person for 3 months I came up with 50 pounds of rice, 30 pounds of beans and a 5 quart jug of veggie oil. This was a basic amount of food and 2000 calories a day. Not saying this is all you should store.

McLOVIN

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what smokin said. For $37 you can get 30 pounds of beans, split peas and lentals at Wal-mart. Thats like 3 months of protein for one person to go with the 50 pounds of rice you want to get.

You need to think fats was well. I did the math and if I remember correctly for one person for 3 months I came up with 50 pounds of rice, 30 pounds of beans and a 5 quart jug of veggie oil. This was a basic amount of food and 2000 calories a day. Not saying this is all you should store.

McLOVIN
Ive got a bunch of nat PB already stored

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sams has canned chicken, member's mark brand last time I checked came out to right around $2/lb for breast meat. (Last checked about 3mo ago, has probably gone up but I bet it's still a good deal.)

There's also canned tuna but be careful with the price, my Sams was always more expensive than I could get it at walmart (difference between generic brand and star-kist).

If you're not a chili fan you could look at the dinty moore beef stews (be sure to get some type of pasta to stretch them out, I like medium size egg noodles). Sams also has the canned hams, good to have but they'll eat up your $200 pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If you like popcorn, corn bread, etc. Sam's has a 50 lb. bag of popcorn for around $17. If you have a grinder, you can grind it for corn bread and a few other foods.

My Sam's Club doesn't sell dry beans in bulk. One Wall-Mart near me sells 50 lb. bags of beans. You might be able to get them to order it if they don't have it on display. You can also order 25# bags of wheat from Wal-Mart.

Remember to stock up on water too.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
When buying rice here's a few things to remember.

Brown rice is the most nutritious, but doesn't keep very long even in mylar with o2 absorbers.
White rice is mostly carbohydrates. It loses a lot of nutrition value when the hull and germ are removed.

Parboiled rice, has almost as much nutrition as brown rice but keeps as long as white rice. That parboiling process drives a lot of the nutrition from the germ and hull into the heart of the rice.

Instead of pork and beans, get dried beans and store in mylar with o2 absorbers. Lots more calories and protein for your money. You can cook the beans then dehydrate them before you store them to make cooking post SHTF quicker. Lot of work but a good idea.

A bottle of multivitamins would also be a good item to add. Helps you get the vitamins you need when eating a limited variety diet.

·
A Hoosier not a Hillbilly
3,016 Posts
Our Sam's doesnt even have dried beans. Walmart has the one lb bags but I need larger bag. I have been buying them at Aldi. Walmart also has 25 lb bags of white spring wheat for 14 bucks. Only 2 bags at a time. They won't buy anymore. Strange, since they are always gone.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you like popcorn, corn bread, etc. Sam's has a 50 lb. bag of popcorn for around $17. If you have a grinder, you can grind it for corn bread and a few other foods.

My Sam's Club doesn't sell dry beans in bulk. One Wall-Mart near me sells 50 lb. bags of beans. You might be able to get them to order it if they don't have it on display. You can also order 25# bags of wheat from Wal-Mart.

Remember to stock up on water too.
i love corn bread... got recipes and procedures for that?
SHADOW

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

Brown rice is the most nutritious, but doesn't keep very long even in mylar with o2 absorbers.
White rice is mostly carbohydrates. It loses a lot of nutrition value when the hull and germ are removed.

Parboiled rice, has almost as much nutrition as brown rice but keeps as long as white rice. That parboiling process drives a lot of the nutrition from the germ and hull into the heart of the rice.

Instead of pork and beans, get dried beans and store in mylar with o2 absorbers. Lots more calories and protein for your money. You can cook the beans then dehydrate them before you store them to make cooking post SHTF quicker. Lot of work but a good idea.

A bottle of multivitamins would also be a good item to add. Helps you get the vitamins you need when eating a limited variety diet.
So would parboiled rice be something like Minute Rice?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Fortunately for us most western states have WinCo.

It is a prepper's dream!!!! Cases of cans, barrels and barrels of bulk dried foods!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks for that. The parboiled is only a couple bucks more too.

I dont know if any stores around here carry bulk dry beans. The dry beans that we buy and eat normally run between 1.50 and 2 bucks a pound, the pork and beans are only .50 cens a lbs. If I can get the dry beans for around the same price or even a little more, ill certianly go that way.

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
If I could make a suggestion.

Before you buy any bulk food think about what it is you want to cook. For example you have rice. What meals are you going to make with rice? For me I make rice and beans as well as BBQ chicken and rice. I also throw some rice in with my stew. Knowing that I would focus on obtaining those other ingredients with the rice. Rice without beans or chicken would be kind of pointless.

I think Sams sells canned chicken for example. And you can certainly get pinto beans there as well (although I prefer kidney beans which I get from the grocery store in 1lb bags)..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
o yea, I forgot coffee. I know, Im an addict, not something that should not usually go in, but i am addicted. Soooo. Im looking at folgers (not a folgers fan) 2lbs $10

1 - 20 of 62 Posts