Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new project. So i got bored at work the other day and i picked up a small piece of steel and sarted playing with the grinder well this is what I came up with. Not to bad for a first try if I do say so myself the picture is after the tempering, now I just have to sand it down,polish it, sharpen, and put the handle on it. I am thinking I should do a 550 cord handle or wood, i will let you all know what i decide

Attachments

·
V
21,713 Posts
Looking good mate. I'm not keen on paracord handles myself but each to his/her own Post pic's when yur done though plz. :thumb:

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so the handles are done. i ended up using bambo, the only problem with bambo is it splinters realy easy so it is kinda hard to work. Each side is made of 2 seperate pieces, because of that the only way I was able to attach them is with glue, yeah i know it sucks and isnt the best way, but it works. The one thing that scares me is that i dont know if the steal is high or low carbon steel, i think it might be low carbon steel because it didnt want to take a temper, so i dont know how well it will take a edge. With that said this blade might end up as a display knife only, we will see. owell so what do yall think? sorry my camera sucks for close up shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
not bad, but the handles, they need to be wood, but if you like bamboo its fine. Now whith the glue i would have recomended driling 4 to 5 holes in the handle then stick pins inside. but good job the blade looks nice.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i am kinda broke so i had to improvise with what i had on had, so tht is why i went with bamboo and no pins, didnt have the material on hand

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
I like the look of the bamboo and there have been production knives that use it. I know CRKT and Bark River have used it.

For the glue - what kind? I added wood handles to my CRKT neck knife many years ago using super glue and they are still tight. I had originally thought to use it in case I didn't like the handles and wanted to remove them, but it's proved quite sturdy.

·
Unemployment sucks.
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i used hot glue, just in case i messed up on the shapping, i will probably switch it for the super glue

1 - 15 of 15 Posts