Survivalist Forum banner

What Medical procedures do you feel qualified to do?

• Applying bandaids, call 911 for anything else!

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Can muddle through as long as there is no major problem

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Confident treating just about anything, not trained, though

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Basic emergency, Red Cross training in CPR, etc.

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • Herbal remedies, basic emergency stuff, minimal/self training

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Emergency lifesaving/triage--EMT/RN qualified

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I can do surgery if I HAVE to--I am a doctor/medically trained.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Other, you always have to *other* in a poll...

Votes: 6 7.3%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of debate about medical situations and what you should and should not have in your first aid kit....thought this would give us an idea of folks abilities, etc.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
had to go with other. Not am EMT, but First Responder training with up dates. Military (University of Vietnam)and Law Enforcement first hand experience in the use of pressure points and pressure bandage use etc.Have had to deal with a number of broken bones from sports injure to falling off roofs. Lots of wrecks with different injuries.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Was an Independent duty medical technician in th Air Force.
All areas of Health Care form public health,food service sanitation and much more.First responder ,primary care giver,water analysis and treatment.

MEDICUS ORDINARUIS

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm a physician. Mostly trained in emergency medicine with enough surgical experience to at least do no harm.

Amputations and C-sections are the only emergency surgeries I have 1st assist experience with... and the only ones I would consider in a survival situation anyway.

·
Getting Older
1,233 Posts
I'm a physician. Mostly trained in emergency medicine with enough surgical experience to at least do no harm.

Amputations and C-sections are the only emergency surgeries I have 1st assist experience with... and the only ones I would consider in a survival situation anyway.
Wow. Wouldn't a C-section be a pretty big deal in a survival situation?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow. Wouldn't a C-section be a pretty big deal in a survival situation?
Yes it would. It would not be an elective C-section that's for sure... I'm talking the life threatening delivery kind. Mom would have to be in a REALLY bad way and it might even be done just to save the baby.

And like I said... those are the only 2 surgeries I'd feel comfortable with anyway... maybe a appendectomy, but sometimes that can resolve.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
I've had first-aid training but I don't trust that I won't pass out in a nasty situation. I'm so very glad that I have a survivalist buddy that's a doctor!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got certified in Red Cross CPR and first aide. My work offered the courses giving us the time and even paying for half. I couldn't pass that up and I'm now more confident that I could help someone in certain situations. I highly recommend that you take advantage of any training that may come your way.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Army-trained basic medic during the Spanish-American War; no combat experience, though.

Currently a health science professional working in the biotech industry, but feeling a real need to acquire hands-on emergency skills.

Thanks for starting this thread, Lamb...

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
me presonally well i can do quiet a bit of the first aid cpr and a few things more advanced but not that advanced and thats why josh is in my group hes a feild medic in the nat. gaurd as well as an emt in my town

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
Outdoor Emergency Care, national Ski Patrol and CPR. I am experienced and comfortable with all types of fractures, cuts, etc. I have also been present for 6 births, so I could probably deliver a baby in a pinch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've never had any professional medical aid education, or EMS, etc. . I am in JROTC, and have taught classes to lower level students on first aid. I have a good understanding of the basic concepts, and feel that I could perform live saving first aid to someone in need, if the chance arises.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Only what I've learned in the Scouts, or whatever I've taught myself. Splinting a leg or arm, applying a makeshift tourniquet, using a triangle bandage for an arm splint or tourniquet, and other obvious things like just being sanitary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The best medicine is prevention. Education is the key to staying healthy. Everyone should try to be educated in basic first aid and CPR when offered the chance to learn. remember the golden hour. It could save lives. I am a Licensed Vocational Nurse. Sharing medical knowledge with open minds does more than you think.

·
Bratach Bhan Chlann Aoidh
1,366 Posts
I took a first aid course years and years ago in the school army corps. That was too many years ago!!
I wouldn't feel confident doing much else than finding someone who does know and/or keeping the patient calm.
Oh I can lift heavy things though :)
Whenever the local ambos have a course I don't have the money. I'm going to try for it this year though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts