Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned this week how woefully inadequate my first aid preps were.

Family member received a level 6 laceration on scale of 1 -10. Needed several stiches (though we didn't get them). Cut was unfortunately on the foot.

Found out that having a pair of crutches and a cane would be useful. Picked up a pair of each after the fact at the thrift store for a buck.

During a week we blew through all of our non-stick guaze pads, all rolls of gauze, all butterfly bandaids, and most of our vet wrap.

While I didn't break into by BOB first aid kit, we severaly depleeted several items in our home first aid kit with a single, moderate injury. Blows my mind how much stuff we should ideally have for long-term preparations. And, the stuff isn't cheap. This is something I'll be focusing on--getting a few each week for the foreseeable future in order to spread the cost out.

Maybe you already know this, but my lesson was have some adjustable crutches as part of your BOL preps, and if you don't have a good sized crate full of first aid supplies at your BOL, then you probably don't have enough.

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
I absolutely agree!
I got heavy duty on having a well equipped FAK after having one of my sons get a bad burn. Initial treatment was at a doctors, but then I had to change bandages, etc. You blow through a crap load of bandages FAST in a situation like that!

·
Leave Me Alone
434 Posts
Never forget that if you need a guaze pad and tape or a wrap bandage, then it will have to be changed. If it is bad enough, then it will be changed "several times" on ONE WOUND until healed or allowed to be in open air. Anything used to clean a wound and the area, will be used several times on ONE WOUND. When I was an Ambuance Medic, it was patch'em up, start and I.V. and get going. The stuff was used short term. But in a survival or a SHTF situation. You may be stuck with no medical help, and have to maintain the wounds and injuries for weeks. A healthy supply of bandages like Kerlix or Kling and 4x4 guaze sponges are a must. In addition, absorbers that allow drainage will be needed. Save your money on expensive pads and get a few boxes of the old style Kotex Feminine Pads. Unscented preferably. They absorb like a vaccum cleaner, they are clean and sanitary, and pretty cheap. If they are in a box, put them in ziplock bags for storage. I have several in the BOB and several Boxes in the long term storage. The Generic ones are just as good as the brand name ones. They are always known as the field medics best friend for bigger wounds and pressure bandaging.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Just wanted to add that I have been stocking up on the mini pads that are individually wrapped to be used for wound care.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Doesn't it always work that way?: You think you have enough....until you need it and find that it wasn't enough supplies. That's why it is SO important for everyone to start preparing NOW....like you said, even if it's a few items a week. As long as you are working towards the goal -- you are much further ahead than the average American.

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
my first aid kit is a handfull of bandaids and a bottle of rubbing alcohol

sad I know.
ACK!:eek:
I built my kit gradually. Took a while. I also got medical training (starting back in my 20s). Remember to stock only those things you can competently use.
I have my *basic* kit:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=36839

I also have a Herbal/Homeopathic kit that includes home made tinctures, salves, poultice ingredients, herbs, extracts, oils, etc.

I have a small surgical kit that includes sutures, and sterilized equipment for performing minor surgery (draining abscesses, cleaning out wounds, etc)

I have a small kit that has medications, herbal treatments specifically for children and emergency childbirth.

Last, but not least, I have a emergency medical kit for treating animals.

It took me quite a while to amass all of the above, but I have had to use all of the kits at one time or another.

I have used my *Natural* first aid kit the most.
The Vet kit has been used almost as much!

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I was a combat lifesaver in the army, so I built up an identical kit and added a few things like a suture kit, extra disposable forceps and scalpels. However, it is only to be used in neccesity:

I have two first aid cabinets, one in the shop and one in the bathroom. I have about two dozen volunteers up here each year, so I have gradually stocked up on anything I might need. Both cabinets are obviously labeled with red crosses, so I can hollar out to anyone what to get without having to say, shelf above the radios in the corner on the left hand side. Having two volunteers try to maim themselves last year, I built up quick. There is a .99 cent only store by my moms house, and 25 dollars spent there assures I'm not running out of gauze this year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts