Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I already know that monofiliment fishing line sterilized with alcohol can be used for sutures, but my next issue is Lidocaine for numbing the patient's injured area. I know we can get antibiotics online, but does anybody have any ideas for lidocaine and what strength would be best..i.e...12%, 20%? Or if there's another name for Lidocaine like procaine, etc?
Basically, we need to be able to get some serious stitching done and if it's deep the patient will need to be numbed. Any help?

·
III
1,254 Posts
Sutures are not really first aid. Sutures in the field without knowing the true extent of the wound or if you have it close up clean is not a good call. There are better ways to secure most wounds in a first aid setting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sutures are not really first aid. Sutures in the field without knowing the true extent of the wound or if you have it close up clean is not a good call. There are better ways to secure most wounds in a first aid setting.
I realize this, but for the good of all, can you elaborate.
Plus, whether first aid or trauma care, in a SHTF situation sutures will become necessary, hence Lidocaine.

·
III
1,254 Posts
In the field just like any first responder wound care 4x4's,gauze, possible an 8 or 10 x. Serious wounds Israeli combat dressing or Stasoline. Possible longer term (days) an op site sheathing to keep out moisture etc. You want access to debride and check the wound. For sutures after you know the extent and if it clean then general sutures.The link below is one but there are many. Lidocaine 5% is OTC in creams but that's very low dose. Problem with anything like that Lidocaine or Novocaine etc. in higher doses is absorption and the effect it can have on an already unknown heart block or arrhythmia.
www.duluthtrading.com/store/product...rc=T12WFSHP1&gclid=CIbjk8vRwK0CFQ5T7Aoddw9CDQ

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think this site, and most of the people on it would benefit from some trauma training. First aid is good, but trauma will exist and needs to be addressed,i.e. deep lacerations, fractures, blunt force, hemorrage, etc.
First aid is to address an issue before getting to a doctor, so what do we do when there is no doctor?
I've had SOME training in the military but I'm NOT a combat medic.
I like some of the stuff the patriot nurse has put out, but there could be ALOT more teaching on these issues.

·
III
1,254 Posts
Probably the best place to get training is to actually get trained. Start at EMT Basic. There are excellent programs all over the country. Many Volunteer Fire Companies are first responders and their members get the training paid for.All you need to do is volunteer your time. Once you get that then additional training is available depending on the level they provide. EMT-B is going to get you fairly proficient at most traumas short of I.V.'s. Online training has a lot to be desired.It has it's place but only limited.In all cases competent long term care and diagnosis is going to require higher level of training,if there is no possibility of a Doctor I guess you do what you can but I don't see that ending real good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts