Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Stop Breath Think Act
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I was talking to a friend and they brought up a good point. He said you should always keep a very basic first aid book / guide in your first aid kit. I asked why, after all I know how to use all of the supplies I keep in my first aid kit. Ah but what if you're the one that gets hurt? Oh... Can you guarantee that those around you have a clue? Umm...

Well lets just say that I now have a very basic guide in all my first aid kits car, BOB, EDC / travel.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
you default to your training not rise to the occasion, so while yes a having a guide is a good idea learning it beforehand is the correct way.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a cheapy one right now that came with a first aid kit. Pretty basic but i plan to add a more comprehensive one when i find it. I want something which covers more than first aid and putting on a band aid lol. Any recommendations?

I do have the pocket sized SAS manual which covers some of the basics. I think that book is worth its weight in gold and should be in everyone's stockpile.

Amazon.com: SAS Survival Guide 2E (Collins Gem): For any climate, for any situation (9780061992865): John 'Lofty' Wiseman: Books

I plan to order a few more and send one to family members to help them get started on prepping.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Physicians Desk Reference and Sanford Guide to Microbial Therapy are printed every year; older versions can be found on amazon or ebay for very little. Since treatment regimes change little from year to year as new drugs arise, posessing one that is a year or two old is a valuable addition to a Home-based FAK (they can be bulky).

Also, there is a book entitled, "Where there is No Doctor," which is used overseas in places without internet connections (and their information on exotic diseases). It is a bit heavy on Third World and tropical illnesses but that does not detract from its value. Read the amazon reviews for yourself.

·
With all due respect....
1,837 Posts
Thankfully while I was in the Army, I took SEVERAL Combat Lifesaver Classes. That stuff is burned into my memory, from all the classes and having to do it on the spot in Iraq.

The best thing to do would be to learn it now. If you learn it now, you can teach it later. Every week I teach my girlfriend something new about first aid, and the only thing I use a book for is to keep track of what I'm teaching her to make sure I'm covering everything.

If possible a first aid book would be helpful, but I do not have one in my INCH bag simply because I don't need one to carry with me. Keeping it in the house? Absolutely, but I'm not lugging around a first aid guide. I do have an Army Survival guide, FM 3-05.70 (much better than the 70's FM21-76 you always see in surplus stores), and that does have some first aid instructions in it, so maybe to an extent I do carry one with me...:xeye:
If you do carry some first aid reading with you, just try to make sure it's light or is part of a survival book to save weight.

Just food for thought, if you just got shot in the leg or something and you need one of your buddies to put a tourniquet and/or bandage on you, or if you have a sucking chest wound.... he ain't gonna have time to be flipping through the first aid book, and then start rummaging through your first aid kit. You/the other person better know what is going on because if you can't react to it in SECONDS you will go down the drain of shock, and then death.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
on the other hand, if you are planning for a long term situation, then a small, concise library of medical references would be advantageous. i've seen the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference) mentioned here more than a few times. it's good, and big! one i don't see mentioned often is the Merck Manual, basic nursing manuals, and similar publications. admittedly, they are for the more advanced care givers. but, they can offer basic insight and information that can be understood by most in the health fields. shop around and find the ones with lots and lots of pictures as those will be most useful to those with minimal or so training.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts