Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dr. Lynn Pearson, who is an orthopedic surgeon in Jasper, Texas agreed to do an interview.

We discussed the 2 most common types of broken bones, first aid, and what to do about compound fractures.

Something that I learned was that exposed bone dies and should be kept moist. You can use a pillow or magazine as a quick split.

·
Potential Roux-Ga-Roux
1,432 Posts
Absolutely great information, Kev. Thanks so very much to Dr. Pearson for his kindness through sharing his wisdom and expertise.

·
Custom User Title
2,969 Posts
Cool....would it be at all possible to completley heal without medical support(if it wasnt compound) if you had enough supplies and time to rest?

·
Wanderer
259 Posts
Cool....would it be at all possible to completley heal without medical support(if it wasnt compound) if you had enough supplies and time to rest?
Yes.
While bone can be set improperly and heal with a twist or turn it shouldn't have, it will still heal. The real worry is that marrow will get into the blood, leading to fever and blood poisoning which will kill.

My personal favorite case is a skull in the smithsonian which has a spearhead stuck in the bone and shows growth around it's edges. This means the individual was hit upside the head with a hoplite (greek infantry) spear hard enough for it to stick, couldn't remove it without fatal damage and so simply cut off the handle, then continued to walk around and live his life for an estimated 4-6 years with a spearhead sticking out the back of his skull.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
the question I have what happens if the bones dies? I know about keeping it moist already.. and bandage around the bone then cover it with something wet..

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
you do your best to set it straight.. by felling it and putting it in the right place then bandgeing it up so it cant move I broke my hand and they simply pushed the bone back in didnt break the skin but was close to it a huge lump of bone it healed and now I can move my hand more in certian directions its funny because the bone can flew now.. cant do that with the none broken hand.. I can move the knuckle closer to the other one just noticed that and I broke my hand like 6 or 7 years ago.. I can feel were it was broken bit of a bend in itbut the hand is hard to heal had a half cast so I could take it off and on and it just simply held my hand in the postion to help it heal.. hurt like hell putting it in that postion and sitting in the cast but once I took the cast off and held the hand in the same postion then put the cast back on after cleaning my hand up ect..

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
If the bone dies and dries out because of lack of soft tissue coverage. You usually have a chronic infection and the dead bone will not heal to its adjacent mate. Refracture can then occur because the fatigue of the dead bone cannot be remodeled by living bone which responds to repeated stress. Exposed bone must be covered by living soft tissue to prevent infection and promote healing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts