Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend had me 150 miles away at a nasty, viciously competitive, 3 gun match with 10 stages and 460 rds of shooting from 5-200 yards. I crammed a FAK with all kinds of stuff in my Vulture II pack, along with my clothing, hygiene, and other stuff. The pouch I used was 3rd hand from a sale at NOLS. It's WP and hangs from a nail for convenience.

Most of us were in decent shape, even a couple of world class atheletes were there. With 30 shooters in their 20's-60's, and a number of kids and spouses, I had the only kit!:eek: I wound up coughing up a full bottle of Motrin, 2 hits Altram, 1200 mg Amoxicillin, Oragel, both knee sleeve braces, both Ace bandages, band aids, first aid cream, Neosporin, sun block, bug dope, Bag Balm, vinyl gloves, Iodine swabs, burn spray, sting eze and Q-tips. Practically my whole kit was gone by Sunday night. Someone took my shears, tweezers, clippers and quik-clot, too.

There were several minor injuries. We had a 40 rd shotgun stage and several of us cooked our palms while reloading; 2 bee stings; bunch of scrapes and one cut needed a steri strip; 6 shooters had knee issues as the terrain was knobby, slippery and rocky with lots of kneeling, sitting and running. We had two twisted ankles. A loose crown that started to abcess (oragel and amoxicillin), migraine headache (altram) and 2 bee stings. Most of us were sunburned, too. It also rained for a while on Saturday after being 80 degrees all day. I loaned out my spare Dry-Lite raincoat I packed JIC.

Worse yet, was all the waiting and running around RO'ing, scoring, taping and policing brass. We also had to set-up, take down and clean up after the match. My knees and feet were killin' me. I used bag balm between my legs, inside of my thighs, face, neck and hands. My Underarmour jock shorts saved me. I was Safety Officer for a pistol/rifle stage and walked 9000 yards in 3 1/2 hours in my Vibram toes.

At the end of the match, less than 1/2 of 1 percentage point separated the top 3 shooters. Tightest match I have ever seen.

I don't normaly even use my FAK at a match. Some world class shooters were there and none of them had anything with them. None of this was life threatening; we were only a few miles from help and an experienced PA was shooting but I was surprised I had the only decent kit.

I used to be an EMT I and an ETT for years so I knew some things, but I had much help from this forum. Amazing what happens with a couple days in the sun. I am going to increase it before the summer is up as we have a busy schedule this year. Thanks all!

AKpredator

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I can't believe shooters without a FAK in their bag. I have carried one every time I go shooting because invariably someone (usually me) will get nicked, scraped, something, everytime. It didn't take me long to realize this was going to be a common occurance and pack a kit.

That's just rude about them taking your shears and Quick Clot. You know they just stole your stuff to put in their bag. I never mind anyone using any of my first aid supplies, but it irks me to no end for them to just steal it.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most folks prolly had them in their cars but I taped up a couple knees, had my kit hanging from the hatch back door and a couple shooters would show up tween stages for some help. I was peeved over the items missing but maybe they will do some good with it. I got it all for free from a bro anyways. Tough match but we have had them before. Just one of those things I guess.

It got me thinking as that was only a couple of leisure days in the sun with some hard labor in there. In a serious situation, I am going to need a bigger, better bag and the one I used was bigger than my kit for BOB and survival packs.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, we had another big match this weekend and one of my bros said his kid wound up with a pair of shears and clippers somehow and wondered if they were mine. He gave them back to me there, though I had already bought another set. Guess I will put them in the other kit I am doing up. Got me thinking that I need to hide the meds in there.

No injuries this weekend but it was a steel match with every stage shot standing from a box so not much movement, just the heavy lifting of all the steel plates.

·
Self-reliant
228 Posts
Haha, we had another big match this weekend and one of my bros said his kid wound up with a pair of shears and clippers somehow and wondered if they were mine. He gave them back to me there, though I had already bought another set. Guess I will put them in the other kit I am doing up. Got me thinking that I need to hide the meds in there.

No injuries this weekend but it was a steel match with every stage shot standing from a box so not much movement, just the heavy lifting of all the steel plates.
Good that you got your shears back.

As for the no injuries...maybe you should cause some..

Who said that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.