Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I was presented with a hypothetical the other day and figured there were people on this forum who would have some great responses. The setup may sound a bit unbelievable but that's okay, it's the resulting situation that matters.

SITUATION:
Your immediate family is out of country for a trip and your spouse has also left the country for work. You have been in the process of moving all a few states away and agreed to haul a load to a storage unit the few hundred miles or so away. On the way you stop in a city with a population of approx 550,000 people to get some rest and refills. You walk into a restaurant with a backpack containing your EveryDayCarries (minus cell phone and for the sake of this scenario you forget your wallet). You realize you left your wallet at the end of the meal and as you run out to get it you realize .... your car/all possessions have been stolen.

So we have you + your backpack + bare minimum everyday carries in a medium size city. **** has officially hit the fan. What does your first 48 hours look like?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
At that point you break out in sores, exclaim about how you came from your mother's womb, and realize that you are Job.

Then, you contact the police, start making reports, make sure you talk to the manager and waitress at the restaurant and get the address of the place to reimburse them at your first chance, and then get about rebuilding your life (which might take a few days).

Of course, if there is more hitting the fan than your personal life - meaning it is happening to everyone, everywhere, it is time to get your hands a little dirty. Since your stuff is a few hundred miles away, you will need to commission a vehicle, put the pedal down, ditch it a ways from your storage unit, and then use it as your BOL with your supplies until conditions change.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ok after all the police reports I'd ask the officer to take me to the closest firehouse , in a city of half a million they will be Union FF same as me .ill tell the, where I work and what Local I belong to.

After I shower ,eat , and use their computer to print out copies of my work ID, drivers lic. Health care card and so on from my email , I'll then try to rent a car .

Since I have my bag I'll have $500 in cash and a Rolex Blackface Explorer II on my wrist that I could sell for a few grand if needed ,I also belong to Chase banks private client program a call to my banker could get me access to a large amount of cash from a local branch.

I'd then return home and file the insurance claims, no biggie really , have sold my parents belongings in an estate sale, I'd say insurance would be easier and more profitable

·
Micro-homesteader
667 Posts
[...]SITUATION:
Your immediate family is out of country for a trip and your spouse has also left the country for work. You have been in the process of moving all a few states away and agreed to haul a load to a storage unit the few hundred miles or so away. On the way you stop in a city with a population of approx 550,000 people to get some rest and refills. You walk into a restaurant with a backpack containing your EveryDayCarries (minus cell phone and for the sake of this scenario you forget your wallet). You realize you left your wallet at the end of the meal and as you run out to get it you realize .... your car/all possessions have been stolen.

So we have you + your backpack + bare minimum everyday carries in a medium size city. **** has officially hit the fan. What does your first 48 hours look like?[...]
That's not a SHTF scenario. That's just an extraordinarily bad day in normal times. A personal SHTF, maybe. Just have to do the normal stuff you would normally do what that stuff happens. You may get a little hungry until the money situation gets sorted out though. At least your family was away and didn't have to experience it too.

--- Lobanz

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
1) file police reports about stolen stuff

2) Call family, have them send money by western union. Police will actually help with this since your stuff has been stolen. Most places have "victim funds" that will even help you get back home by buying you a bus ticket.

3) Make sure family pulls out cash and cancel card accounts and put bank accounts on hold.

4) head back home, change bank accounts, get new ID, get Lifelock ...

This is not difficult at all and you wouldn't even need your EDC stuff.

Want to make this even more challenging ...

One day you decide to go out for a walk around the neighborhood and find yourself several miles away. A massive CME takes out the grid and causes a plane to take out your home (your home, car, BOB, preps ... all gone). The CME has also taken out the entire grid for the entire country.

You now have to survive on nothing but your EDC, at least enough to get you to your BOL, if you even have one, where hopefully you have more preps.

I've found surprisingly few preppers could actually survive in a total TEOTWAWKI scenario on nothing but their EDC (despite claims they could, when put to the test on it they fail ... and yes I've put people to the test on it ... then taught them primitive survival skills so they could)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Want to make this even more challenging ...

One day you decide to go out for a walk around the neighborhood and find yourself several miles away. A massive CME takes out the grid and causes a plane to take out your home (your home, car, BOB, preps ... all gone). The CME has also taken out the entire grid for the entire country.

You now have to survive on nothing but your EDC, at least enough to get you to your BOL, if you even have one, where hopefully you have more preps.

I've found surprisingly few preppers could actually survive in a total TEOTWAWKI scenario on nothing but their EDC (despite claims they could, when put to the test on it they fail ... and yes I've put people to the test on it ... then taught them primitive survival skills so they could)
Now we are talking.
So if we adopt this new scenario we have the survivor + EDC's + 1 BOL and we'll say the BOL is 10 miles from your current location. Let's keep the city size so that the grid being down will cause a decent amount of havoc.

Traffic jams, no cellular service, internet would be down for some time. Getting to your BOL shouldn't be too difficult if it's a ways out of town and since no one knows how long the grid will be down I would want to get to it first without anyone noticing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
On the way you stop in a city with a population of approx 550,000 people
An oddly specific number for an approximation. Did you have any particular city in mind?

If you use actual city populations, Albuquerque is the only US city that fits. If you use Metropolitan Statistical Areas (a wiser choice, imho), several cities might do:

Scranton
Durham
Youngstown
Spokane
Chattanooga

Not doxxing, just curious.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Now we are talking.
So if we adopt this new scenario we have the survivor + EDC's + 1 BOL and we'll say the BOL is 10 miles from your current location. Let's keep the city size so that the grid being down will cause a decent amount of havoc.

Traffic jams, no cellular service, internet would be down for some time. Getting to your BOL shouldn't be too difficult if it's a ways out of town and since no one knows how long the grid will be down I would want to get to it first without anyone noticing.
10 miles is WELL within a single day walking distance. Not only that but a BOL only 10 miles from where you live is pretty darn worthless as most any natural disaster that would take out your home stands a good chance of hitting your BOL as well (fires, flood, huricane, earthquake, etc). A good BOL is in a different geological region from where you live.

In other words, do you REALLY have the skill to actually survive on nothing but your EDC for several days? The more important question ... have you actually tried to do it? Have you tested your survival skill?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.