Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to take a break from the heathen polymer and get some American steel. :eek:: The first thing I noticed when looking at different 1911s is the price difference between brands. Anywhere from $500 for a Springfield or Rock Island to $2000 for a Colt or Wilson Combat. Now that I've got the itch I want to scratch it as soon as possible, but I'm willing to wait and save up more $$$ for something truly superior. So the question is, would you recommend I lose my 1911 virginity on a $500 gun, or save myself for a $2000? :p

·
Troublesome.
1,333 Posts
The answer to that depends on you.

If you want to wear out the pistol and wind up trading it off or throwing it away in a few years buy the cheap one. If you want one that will still be around for your great grand kids kids, save up.

But there is even more to it.

If you don't know already please allow me to informarate you (I invented that word by the way) . . .

The "problem" with truly high end 1911's is that they effectively deviate from the design intent of the pistol, which is reliable combat accuracy, and reliable function with 230gr hardball come hell, high water, mud, blood, and/or guts.

By design the 1911 is not a wadcutter/hollow point shooting bullseye target pistol.

They can be. Few - if any - pistols can be tuned and tweaked to perform like them. But that takes time, and parts. Time and parts = money.

Can be BIG money.

I guess ultimately, the 1911 is an artful pistol. Picking the right 1911 is almost as much art as shooting one really well. :thumb:

I'm ready to take a break from the heathen polymer and get some American steel. :eek:: The first thing I noticed when looking at different 1911s is the price difference between brands. Anywhere from $500 for a Springfield or Rock Island to $2000 for a Colt or Wilson Combat. Now that I've got the itch I want to scratch it as soon as possible, but I'm willing to wait and save up more $$$ for something truly superior. So the question is, would you recommend I lose my 1911 virginity on a $500 gun, or save myself for a $2000? :p

·
Registered
237 Posts
Agreed CaptainFuzzy,
I would like to also add, if this is your first 1911 I would get a relatively inexpensive one, so that you may learn to break the pistol down, work on it, bang it around some, and find out if this is the pistol for you. I am a 1911 fanatic, but honestly these are not plug and play weapons 24 hrs a day,, you have to maintain them, carress them, love them...lol

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Most of the lower priced models from the major manufactures such as Springfield, Kimber, RRA are pretty decent pistols and will serve you well and long. I would stay away from the off brands such as Llama, Astra ect... as many of these are of questonable reliability. These guns are well built they are just not quiet as tightly hand fitted as some of the semi custom and full on custom guns. They will likely rattle a bit is you shake them. But this is precisely what makes them so reliable in functioning. Accuracy wont be overly great but usually plenty acceptable.

However you might find the up graded models in the 700-900 dollar range to be a real good comprimise between the budget priced no frills models and the full on custom pistols like the Wilson Combat or Les Baur models. These have a lot of nice features to them like up graded sights, more choices in finish, ambidextrous saftey, extended Mag release, beaver tail grips, beveled mag wells ect... For the price the factory is selling these guns for, they are quiet the bargin in my opinion. The cost to up grade a standard model with these features courtesy your local gunsmith would easily bring the price up just over a grand or more. Guns in this range are fairly tightly built and fitted and will generally still provide good reliability and usually considerably better accuracy.

Got long arms and deep pockets and dont mind paying 1800 plus on a full on custom gun, then Wilson Combat, STI, Les Baur, Clark and a few others make some really increadible pistols. These guns are very tightly built often with parts hand fitted. Accuracy in these pistols can be down right scary dead on accurate! Despite all the tight hand fitting of parts reliability can be pretty amazing for such a tight gun too. These guns are truely investments!!!

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
If you watch Gunbroker carefully, you can get a Baer Premier II or TRS for $1300-1500. My Baer is one of my prized possessions. Superbly accurate, and reliable after a couple hundred rounds. One thing about Baers is they are REDICULOUSLY tight when new. Understand this, and shoot around 500 rounds and then disassemble, clean and lube. After that, mine was (and still is) 100% reliable.

Good luck finding a Wilson, even used and abused, for less than $2k...

·
Registered
199 Posts
you wont find a springfield for less then 600 shipped right now. There is a nice Kimber on slickguns for 699 ! My friend has the same one but with night sights and ts fantastic. For 699 to get a match grade barrell, etc... it's a sweet deal. I thought bout ordering one today but as bad as it sounds, I wanna pretty 1911. Im a fan of two tone with pretty grips. I been looking at kimbers, sigs and springfields myself. I'm still learning bout 1911's tho so I dont wanna jump into anything. i also cannot decide whether I want steel or alloy and full size or 4 inch. So many more decisions to make when buying a 1911 makes it overwhelming almost. i have toyed with the idea of buying a loaded springfield but just cant decide. maybe get a basic 1911 GI model and send it to the gunsmith right off the bat ?

best deal going now imo

http://slickguns.com/product/kimber-custom-ii-45-acp-1911-71995

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great advice here

There are many good suggestions here already, I would echo the advice of staying around the $500.00-$800.00 range.

I have never owned an RIA, but have many friends that have owned them and are happy with them. I personally own both Springfields and Colts and have never paid more than $800.00 for a pistol that worked out of the box or, with a little tweak here or there.

Sure, some of the the 1911's require some extra attention. It is a platform that I carry daily and trust my life with. I don't subscribe to the fanboy Ford Vs. Chevy stuff. Nothing wrong with any firearms/brands that work for you.

My recommendation depends upon the intended purpose. For a HD/BOB 1911, I would recommend a 5" government model from any of the makers being discussed here. For concealed carry, my choice is the Colt Commander.

Best of luck to you,

590 w/1*

·
Registered
199 Posts
There are many good suggestions here already, I would echo the advice of staying around the $500.00-$800.00 range.

I have never owned an RIA, but have many friends that have owned them and are happy with them. I personally own both Springfields and Colts and have never paid more than $800.00 for a pistol that worked out of the box or, with a little tweak here or there.

Sure, some of the the 1911's require some extra attention. It is a platform that I carry daily and trust my life with. I don't subscribe to the fanboy Ford Vs. Chevy stuff. Nothing wrong with any firearms/brands that work for you.

My recommendation depends upon the intended purpose. For a HD/BOB 1911, I would recommend a 5" government model from any of the makers being discussed here. For concealed carry, my choice is the Colt Commander.

Best of luck to you,

590 w/1*

maybe I should give the Colt Commander a hard look, if I can find one for a fair price.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What do you 1911 experts think of the Ruger SR 1911?

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html
They are hard to get and I hear about them alot. If i could get my hands on one I'm willing to bet i would buy it but I dont buy guns that i have never handled.Looks and sounds like alot of gun for not alot of coin. Not to mention the re sale value is as good as it gets

·
Registered
44 Posts
maybe I should give the Colt Commander a hard look, if I can find one for a fair price.
I have seen them in my area for around $600.00 used to $840 NIB. My Commander shot perfectly right out of the box, I have never had an issue with it.

I personally like the 4.5" length for concealed carry. I know of many, many 1911 carriers that strap on the 5" 1911's everyday with no problems.

No matter what the brand name, find what you want and what fits your budget. Best of luck,

590 w/1*

·
Registered
199 Posts
The more I read about the Ruger, the more i see complaints about it. The mags are junk from what i have read. And i see countless FTE issues being posted. Hmmm I sure hope this gun is not all hype. i always have reservations about buying something when it first comes out. The fact that it's made in the USA is great and the customer service is supposed to be great. I'm kinda on the fence right now as far as confidence goes. Maybe it's just the nature of the beast with inexpensive 1911's?

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have a Llama Max 1 L/F that I carry on occasion and it has never failed and it even feeds hollow points. The finish sucks and it's not truly mil-spec but I paid 250 bucks for it and it has been nothing but reliable for the last 400-500 rounds that I've owned it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would recommend a basic 1911 from a good company to start with. Go with a Springfield Armory or other American made pistol. If you can find a series 70 Colt I would snap it up. I don't like the series 80 Colts. (Look them up on the internet to learn about the differences)

I wouldn't recommend a target gun as they take a lot of specialized care. My competition gun needs to be oiled in three places every ten rounds. You need to change the recoil spring as the temperature changes too. On the other hand it is very accurate and I've won a lot of bullseye competition matches with it.

I've owned many 1911's and a plain Jane pistol made the way John Browning designed it will serve you well.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've had a SA GI mil-spec for several years and love it. It's a near-clone of the WWII issued pistol. The only change I've made to it is to swap the brown plastic grips for double-diamond, reddish-stained wood grips. It improves the appearance immensely. It has fired everything I've put through it without flaw, right out of the box. The only other change I might make is to replace the GI sights with something higher-profile as a concession to my aging eyes, but I hate to change its historic configuration. This is practically identical to the pistol my father was issued when he gor his commission in '43. It shoots with good combat accuracy, which was all this design was meant for. It cost around $500 7-8 years ago, and it was money well spent. It goes bang every time, no FTF, no FTE. What more can you ask? And the design is 100 years old.

·
Lord of Irrelevance
550 Posts
i love the 1911 platform and just bought another RIA chambered in 9mm because my local place had it for sale for $397

after adding an ambi safety and some custom grips i fully expect it to be right at home alongside the others

·
Registered
356 Posts
Check out the Sig 1911's. They are really high quality, made in New Hampshire, and you get a really nice piece for a great price. You definitely get a better product in the price range than what Springfield and Kimber offers, you have to spend a lot more to get a similar product, i.e. domestic, fewer cast or MIM parts, etc.

If you can throw down a bit more coin, I'd check out the Wilson's, Les Baer's, and Nighthawks.

·
ZRT Ready
507 Posts
A couple of years ago, I did the same thing. I had owned poly guns and decided I just had to have a 1911. So, I bought the Para Ordnance GI Expert ESP (its was their "upgraded" gi expert). I believe the cost was around $600 at the time. What a piece of junk it turned out to be. I couldn't shoot it (regardless of ammo or magazine used) without at least two FTF. It would jam, consistently, on the first shot of a new mag. I took it to my range master, who's a 1911 aficionado, and he couldn't get it working right. I ended up getting rid of it and bought a Xd. It hasn't failed on me once, thus far. I heard a couple of months ago that Para did a recall on those pistols due to the feeding ramp having a design flaw or something that caused consistent jams. I don't know if that's true or not, but I wouldn't purchase another one to find out.

Now, with that being said, I swore off 1911s because of that. But, now, Im getting the bug back and am looking at other 1911s. I will not spend $1000+ on a pistol. I realize you may get "better" quality, but its a personal choice. A close buddy of mine recently purchased a Rock Island for about $350. He has shot several hundreds of rounds through it (various types) and never had a hiccup with it. I have fondled it several times and it seems like it is holding up well. The frame/slide is still tight. If I decide to foray back into the 1911 realm, Im getting that pistol. With it being mil-spec, it gives me the chance to customize later if I want. Personally, the one thing I don't like about his is the sights (low profile mil-spec). Other than that, it feels like higher priced 1911s in my hand. I have watched him shoot it on the range and the accuracy is what you'd expect from a 1911.

Just my .02 worth :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have 1911's. SA milspec and the colt defenders. Also have a colt gold cup. they are all terrific. prices range from 7 - 2200. all depends on your wallet. anything that is from SA, colt, wilson, BAER they wont let you down. Absolutely love shooting mine. Their appetite sux as it can get spendy lol
One thing you can think about is the ole saying " BUY ONCE CRY ONCE"
SHADOW

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,165 Posts
I'd look into the Springfields. They're a good, reliable gun, and the price is definately right on them.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts