Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great work Lief, what size are those fire steels, Is the middle one in the bottom picture a "cadet" model. i have been looking for a large firesteel and want to know where to find some.

Thanks Cow

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! and it is LEIF haha

The fire steel is a standard scout size which should give you an idea of how large the big ones really are.

I purchased the firesteels at www.survivaltopics.com They even have a model larger than those called big boy I think. Friggin huge. The shipping was super fast as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the reply, sorry about the spelling. I looked at the site you mentioned the ones you have must be the Armagedon model. Whats the quality of the spark like , I have heard about some that where not so good ( no this site thought, ebay).

Thanks Cow

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They throw an amazing amount of sparks like every good firesteel does. Yes I have two of the Armageddon model. They should last a looooong time haha.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very cool mountings, Leif. I too have done some antler, bone, and wood, though none with the nice crown like yours. Some of the more interesting antler pics are at work, but these are a sampling. Firesteels are 1/4" x 2-1/2" from www.Bensbackwoods.com.

Two in bone:

One in muledeer antler:

I have a couple in ebony and cocobolo to match some knife scales, but can;t find the pics.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same. In some antler and especially in hardwoods, a pneumatic pressure can be created, preventing the rod from going all the way in the hole. Sometimes, it will "creep" out slowly. When I anticipate this, I'll drill a small 1/16" hole, after drilling the 1/4" rod hole, so that air pressure can be displaced and escape. Some of my firesteels, like Leif's, have lanyard holes and sometimes 1/4" brass lanyard tubes. They cover up any "pressure relief" holes.

In this one, the rod hole is drilled into the end of the wood 1/2". Then a 1/4" lanyard tube hole is drilled at the top. Then a 1/16" pressure relief hole is drilled from the rod hole into the lanyard tube hole. The rod is glued and set to cure, and later the lanyard tube is inserted and glued.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cool antler work, Leif...by the way, I too got my firesteels from Ron at Survivaltopics. He's a great guy.

I admit as soon as I got the firesteels, I had to try one out right there on my kitchen floor. Ooooh! Sparklies!

For a striker, you can use the ones that are available with the steels, or I've used the saw on my leatherman (and the serrated blade) with great success. You can also use a length of hacksaw blade.

I recommend pulling the steel toward you (up) rather than pushing the striker down. Wrap the striker with some firestarting material (cotton fuzz daubed with chapstic or vaseline; being a chick I practice with shredded OB tampons as that's what I've got).

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that, if I can get some firesteel here in Aus I'll have a go.
What are you all using to stike it with?
I make strikers from hack saw blades because they get nice sparks, however the two above came with strikers so I used them. Look for my other thread and you can see the hacksawblades.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts