Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts
My arm’s length critique of their sales spiel.

1st, only inexperienced novices fail to carry reliable fire starting means IN DURABLE WATERPROOF CONTAINERS.

2nd, it would appear (to me), they used a mild accelerant on the dry grass tinder they ignited.

3rd, Small, short, thin ferrocerium rods are difficult to securely grasp with your fingers;

4th You can only utilize a short length of a small, short, thin ferrocerium rod because your fingers grasping it cover a considerable amount of its length;

5th small, short, thin ferrocerium rods wear out very quickly;

6th small, short, thin ferrocerium rods are notorious for breaking easily.

Then, they make easily refutable claims;

Quote; “The Firefly is easy to spark. It's custom mixed sparking material is about twice as easy to spark as a typical firesteel / ferrocerium rod.”.

TO DO SO, YOU ADD MORE CERIUM, WHICH MAKES THE FERROCRIUM ALLOY SOFTER

Quote; “We've been able to carefully tailor the sparking material mix to double the break strength of a typical ferrocerrium/firesteel mix.”.

TO DO SO, YOU ADD MORE IRON, WHICH MAKES THE FERROCERIUM ALLOY HARDER

Quote; “On our testing rig the custom firefly sparking material measured twice as strong as conventional firesteel sparking material mixes, which means less breaking and more sparking.”.

THIS IS SIMPLY UNTRUE; on one hand they claim it’s softer (to produce sparks easily), on the other hand they claim it’s harder to prevent breakage. You cannot have it BOTH ways.

In survival circumstances, the minimum size Ferro rod I would carry is 8MM (5/16ths of an inch) diameter X 100MM (slightly short of 4 inches) length (bigger is better), preferably with a handle on it & a dedicated striker.

The purpose of a handle is to allow the user to utilize almost the full length of the rod & apply far more strength, torque & leverage when striking the rod. The purpose of a well-made high quality dedicated striker is they always function well, whereas a randomly chosen striker may not.

Dedicated strikers & Ferro rod examples

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If it's that good...why the need for a GoFundme?

I think it's just a gimmick.

If you really must you can pick up a leather pouch for you SAK...one that comes with a sharpen steel....remove the steel replace with Ferro rod.

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts
If it's that good...why the need for a GoFundme?
So they can get funded by sheeple, gullible public, etc..
Probably, because well informed knowledgeable investors - would not.

The tiny rectangular rod can be ordered direct from China, cheap.
The little plastic stop on the end of the rod can be injection molded, cheap.
A tiny amount of adhesive applies one to the other, cheap.

If they are incapable of doing that out of their hip pocket, personal loans or credit card debt.
They aren't willing to invest their own funds.

There is a sucker born every minute.
These are yuppy gizmo's for fair weather weekend vehicle campers, in State parks or USFS campgrounds.

Not anything a prudent prepper or experienced survivalist would need.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Here's my preferred fire starter, kept stored in watertight bags.

BIC_lighter_2008-12-31.jpg

This is supplemented with 80 waterproof matches, 12 Titan Stormproof matches (made with phosphorus; cannot be extinguished after being lit even if dunked underwater), and a magnesium/ferrocerium block.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
THIS IS SIMPLY UNTRUE; on one hand they claim it’s softer, on the other hand they claim it’s harder
Nope, you did.

And his is kind of more impressive in its way. The same old china rod glued into the same old handle gets boring. His is something new. Might not be a super great thing but it's new and it's cheap. Who really uses the toothpick in a Swiss army knife anyway?

Sorry, bud. Just my opinion. You sure seem to be bent out of shape over something. It's a fire starter.

And Bic lighters....as I said earlier, I pulled a circa 2006 Bic out of a web gear fanny pack this past week and the flint was totally rotted away. I struck the lighter, the wheel spun freely, and a small cloud of grey dust puffed out. The flint was totally gone and the spring was corroded solid in place. Lighter still fully full of fluid by the bottom view thingy. I disassembled it, carefully cleaned out the spring tube and replaced it and added a flint from my parts bowl. I removed the child safe thingy, of course. Had it working perfectly in about ten mins. But Bic lighters sure as hell aren't real long term items.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Nope, you did.

And his is kind of more impressive in its way. The same old china rod glued into the same old handle gets boring. His is something new. Might not be a super great thing but it's new and it's cheap. Who really uses the toothpick in a Swiss army knife anyway?

Sorry, bud. Just my opinion. You sure seem to be bent out of shape over something. It's a fire starter.

And Bic lighters....as I said earlier, I pulled a circa 2006 Bic out of a web gear fanny pack this past week and the flint was totally rotted away. I struck the lighter, the wheel spun freely, and a small cloud of grey dust puffed out. The flint was totally gone and the spring was corroded solid in place. Lighter still fully full of fluid by the bottom view thingy. I disassembled it, carefully cleaned out the spring tube and replaced it and added a flint from my parts bowl. I removed the child safe thingy, of course. Had it working perfectly in about ten mins. But Bic lighters sure as hell aren't real long term items.
the better question is who really uses a keychain swiss army knife

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts

Bic lighters sure as hell aren't real long term items.
Calling BS, when a promoter of survival related items does so with false information is the right thing to do. Because some gullible person may depend on that BS info, then suffer deadly consequences in a survival circumstance.

As for "boring", I would rather have a boring item that has proven itself reliable for decades, than some new novel item that has not, nor ever will.

Just FYI, lighter flints tarnish in air, forming a spalling oxide layer like iron rust. The way to protect them from oxidation, is buy high quality painted ones. As the paint provides additional protection, verses unpainted ones.

Then store them in a sealed Mylar bag, with an 02A inside.

The same holds true if you intend to LTS BIC lighters & Ferro rods.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
богдан;16368657 said:
the better question is who really uses a keychain swiss army knife
I carry one quite often. Not one as small as his, and that flint wouldn't work in mine since it has the offset toothpick, but like I said, it's a cheap and easy upgrade to a knife that replaces a part that doesn't really have a real use. No real downside to it. Just checked....he has two diff sizes. One does fit mine. Probably won't buy one, I simply have no use for it, but I sure wouldn't be ashamed to have one on my knife.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
As for "boring", I would rather have a boring item that has proven itself reliable for decades, than some new novel item that has not, nor ever will.
Not what I said. MAKING the same old thing....china rods glued into handles....is sort of boring. If you feel the need to keep making the same **** over and over, more power to you, bud....but HE, at least, had an original thought that you seem to resent him for having. Just my opinion.

If you want to be cool, come up with something new, though. Maybe a small rod hidden inside a fastex buckle or a short rod with holes drilled to thread onto bracelets and shoestrings or maybe a small rod hidden inside a knife handle. Someone already came up with those, though. Just examples. Come up with something new.

One of my "new" ones was sort of an expansion of someone else's "new" a few years back. Sticking a rod onto a Mora sheath. My idea, though, was to use an aluminum Easton arrow shaft cut to the right length and hot glued into place on the edge of the sheath. Use inner tube bands to reinforce the glued spots. The tube, you then get the right size rod and make up a handle.

I carry an SAK sometimes. It's a new thing, the rod, that improves the knife. The rod is just one more layer in prepping. Why you're against it, I have no idea. It just seems you resent it for some reason. Sort of like you cussing my glow in the dark shoe laces because they aren't as brite as your Cree whatever.

Just FYI, lighter flints tarnish in air, forming a spalling oxide layer like iron rust. The way to protect them from oxidation, is buy high quality painted ones. As the paint provides additional protection, verses unpainted ones.
Don't really give a darn about what causes it....flint rods just aren't long term storage items when they're the necessary part of a Bic. As to paint, Ronsons have always been painted. Long time Zippo and Ronson users know to pinch the flint with your thumbnail prior to installing it into the lighter. They often used to go bad and leave you with a hollow red paint tube. I say used to....I haven't bought a Zippo or Ronson lighter flint in a few years. As to your bag of flints....are you able to change out a Bic flint? Not an easy proposition for most folks. A skill that could certainly be practiced now and not then.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Not what I said. MAKING the same old thing....china rods glued into handles....is sort of boring. If you feel the need to keep making the same **** over and over, more power to you, bud....but HE, at least, had an original thought that you seem to resent him for having. Just my opinion.

One of my "new" ones was sort of an expansion of someone else's "new" a few years back. Sticking a rod onto a Mora sheath. My idea, though, was to use an aluminum Easton arrow shaft cut to the right length and hot glued into place on the edge of the sheath. Use inner tube bands to reinforce the glued spots. The tube, you then get the right size rod and make up a handle.

I carry an SAK sometimes. It's a new thing, the rod, that improves the knife. The rod is just one more layer in prepping. Why you're against it, I have no idea. It just seems you resent it for some reason. Sort of like you cussing my glow in the dark shoe laces because they aren't as brite as your Cree whatever.

Don't really give a darn about what causes it....flint rods just aren't long term storage items when they're the necessary part of a Bic. As to paint, Ronsons have always been painted. Long time Zippo and Ronson users know to pinch the flint with your thumbnail prior to installing it into the lighter. They often used to go bad and leave you with a hollow red paint tube. I say used to....I haven't bought a Zippo or Ronson lighter flint in a few years. As to your bag If you want to be cool, come up with something new, though. Maybe a small rod hidden inside a fastex buckle or a short rod with holes drilled to thread onto bracelets and shoestrings or maybe a small rod hidden inside a knife handle. Someone already came up with those, though. Just examples. Come up with something new.
of flints....are you able to change out a Bic flint? Not an easy proposition for most folks. A skill that could certainly be practiced now and not then.
why would I want one hidden in a fastex buckle?
handcuff keys or shims yes, ceramic blades or other things for if your in a bind yes
but a concealed fero rod????

I have 2 that are in my EDC kit and they are not small think 2 3/4-3 in long and 1/4-3/8 in diameter.

the only small one is on my usgi match case that's on the bottom

the purpose is not to be cool but to have functional kit that is reliable. something as small as the sak fero rod insert without having it secured to something is just as likely to break when someone tries to use it as it is to start a fire

it would be a lot more practical if they embedded a rod in the handle of the knife as seen in the match case it would give it support to not break and larger surface area to grip

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts
Ya right.

How well do you think a toothpick size ferro rod is going to do?
Much less, how long it will last?
Not long & not well.

A BIC lighter would be more practical & far cheaper.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Here's my preferred fire starter, kept stored in watertight bags.

View attachment 231417

This is supplemented with 80 waterproof matches, 12 Titan Stormproof matches (made with phosphorus; cannot be extinguished after being lit even if dunked underwater), and a magnesium/ferrocerium block.
I once found a bic-type lighter in the snow, a bit rusted, on a hike up Mt. Blodgett in Co. Springs
It still worked, first time I tried it, and kept on working.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Ya right.

How well do you think a toothpick size ferro rod is going to do?
Much less, how long it will last?
Not long & not well.

A BIC lighter would be more practical & far cheaper.

I think it would work better the othwr way around have the toothpick be the striker and embed the rod into the side of the handle

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts
One of these is cheaper & makes more sense to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts