Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Sell crazy someplace else
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making beef jerky and dehydrated carrots with my thrift store dehydrator. I can't wait until the beef jerky is done. I kept putting it off. I figured if I didn't use the machine, it was time to sell it.

·
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just threw a 1/2 cup brown sugar, some hickory BBQ sauce and Yoshida Ya (?) marinade in a stainless bowl after dissolving the sugar and mixed in the meat. I trimmed all the fat and gristle off the meat. Stuck it in the fridge for about 4-5 hours. That is a concoction that I just made up, so don't try it until my jerky is done and I give you the OK.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I had two of the same model with different colored trays, so I combined them into one mega dehydrator. Since it has a fan, all 8 trays dry at the same rate. I've almost dried 2 bushels of apples with it this year.

I think your marinade recipe sounds great, let us know. It's almost deer season you know ;)

·
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sampled a couple of small pieces, the machine is still going. Taste pretty good. I might try it with a smaller amount of sugar. The only reason I put the sugar in is that my friend told me it would act as a preservative. When I think about it, that's pretty stupid. Like this stuff is going to last long enough to go bad. I'm sure it will be gone in a day or two. But the marinade is fine. I don't know that I would do a whole deer, at least not this sweet. Unless the meat is really gamy perhaps. I will be trying different recipes. If I plan for long term storage, I will be using tried and tested recipes. For those of you with kids, this seems like a great weekend project to keep them occupied with something fun and edible.

·
thepostmandelivers
1,241 Posts
Sampled a couple of small pieces, the machine is still going. Taste pretty good. I might try it with a smaller amount of sugar. The only reason I put the sugar in is that my friend told me it would act as a preservative. When I think about it, that's pretty stupid. Like this stuff is going to last long enough to go bad. I'm sure it will be gone in a day or two. But the marinade is fine. I don't know that I would do a whole deer, at least not this sweet. Unless the meat is really gamy perhaps. I will be trying different recipes. If I plan for long term storage, I will be using tried and tested recipes. For those of you with kids, this seems like a great weekend project to keep them occupied with something fun and edible.
rotfl i am lucky if half of what i'm dehydrating makes it through the process,my two boys can't wait that long to devour everything in their path.

·
Banned
2,754 Posts
best way i have found to marinade to maximize your flavor is cut up all your meat and place it in a ziplock bag or vacuum bag with the marinade. remove all the air and leave it in the fridge overnight. really maximizes the flavor. If there is any of the game seasoning stuff next time i hit up wallyworld im draggin out the dehydrator and making some

its a piety 2lbs of jerky only lasts 5 minutes around here

yup. thats gonna be my next mega piccie post. jerky the militia way. mm-mmm bitches ^^

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
I went to a dehydrating class at the University Extension just today. I need to fire mine up too.

Recently the USDA set out some jerky guidelines. They suggest getting the meat up to 160 degrees to kill off the E Coli virus. Most dehydrators don't go that high. The oven will "work harden" the meat, messing up the jerky. Boot leather.

The suggestion is to cover the meat completely in a marinade. Heat it until a digital thermometer hits 160 for about a minute. No more E Coli, then dehydrate as normal.

The marinade keeps the meat moist and keeps it from getting hard.

I know we all been doing it the old way since day one. But E Coli is a slow and painful way to go.

FYI, your results may vary.

·
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dehydrator I am using has a fan and blows hot air like a hair dryer, but I'm sure the it doesn't reach 160F. I will try your suggestion on the next batch. This batch turned out pretty good.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Made some the other day, just finished it off tonight. I used worchestshire (sp?), Liquid smoke, a couple dashes of cayenne pepper and thick ground black pepper. I let it marinade 4 hours in the fridge. Made a pound and a half and it didn't last long.

·
Banned
2,754 Posts
I think 145 is the highest mine goes. never had any problems so not too worried bout the virus

oh also the way you cut the meat is important. If you want more chewy tough jerky cut WITH the grain. if you want more crumbly type jerky cut ACROSS the grain. I like to do a mixture of both but like the crumbly type more

·
"Through a glass, darkly"
1,948 Posts
I made jerky in an old convection dehydrator for a couple of years. Likes been pointed out, if you don't get meat up to 160 deg during the first 2 hours of processing, long term storage is a no-no. I kept mine in the refrigerator, and it was gone in a week, so no problem. :D: My current dehydrator goes up to 170 degrees, and I bought that model because of our love of jerky.

Reactions: crazy

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,434 Posts
A good marinade is soy sauce, worchestershire, red pepper flakes and liquid smoke. Adjust amounts to your taste. For those who like sweetness, brown sugar blends in nicely.

·
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are right about the way you cut the meat. I tried to crosscut as much as I could, but some was with the grain. Another thing is the thickness of the meat. That will change how it turns out.

This batch turned out good. I am happy since this is the first time making jerky. I will be looking for more meat on sale. This is definitely something that everyone can do. If you stumble across a dehydrator at a garage sale for less than $10, grab it.

After a few days, I will try the carrots in a soup to see how they will taste.

·
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Over the weekend, I made some more beef jerky from corned beef that I picked up from Costco. It is saltier than I prefer, but I'm sure the salt will do a good job preserving the meat. After it was done, I cut it into 1" pieces. This idea came from a friend of mine. I thought this would keep longer than the other batch I made with sugar.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just made a whole bunch of venison jerky in mine. I fired it up and let it sit for an hour, then tested the temperature of the plastic racks with a non-contact thermometer: 158 F.
So, I boiled the meat briefly before marinating and dehydrating. I like the idea of heating in the marinade. I wish I had thought of that.

My marinade: soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, garlic powder, onion powder, and seasoned salt. I don't know the exact quantities, I just mix it all together to taste, and then add a little water to make it go further.
I marinade in vacuum containers, which help a lot to pull the marinade into the meat.

·
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just picked up one more dehydrator new in the sealed box for $4.50 from my thrift store. It is the same brand as one of the other ones. I was hoping to use the trays on the other one.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So this e coli thing..........How did the Native Americans, let alone all the settlers ever survive?

Maybe its just me, but if you're cooking the meat then its not jerky. It's cooked meat. Jerky is DRIED meat. I'm not saying the getting it to 160 is a bad thing, but its not technically jerky if its cooked.

I don't have a store bought dehydrator....yet. But for jerky (which is the main thing I dry) I didn't want one BECAUSE it heats the food. I use the Alton Brown method and it works well. Here's a youtube of it:
and part two, which shows his dehydrator rig:

The only differences in the setup I used is that I set my fan up on a pedestal (used my turkey fryer as a base) and layed it horizontal with the furnace filters on top. No need for bungees this way and the jerky didn't want to slide off the filters. I use the blue fiberglass filters and they're clean enough to use several times.

His recipe for the marinade is good as well, though it tastes a bit teriyaki-ish.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts