Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
American
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have ideas about a nice compact firearms cleanining kit for a BOB? One that would be self contained, light weight and cove rifle, pistol and shotgun.

·
Seeker of Truth
747 Posts
nylon fishing line, small finishing nail, your t-shirt, can of 3-in-1 oil. cut patches from the T shirt, tie the nail to fishing line, tie patch to other end, soak with oil, pull it through. I used to clean my rifle this way when I couldn't afford a cleaning kit.

·
Behold a pale horse
314 Posts
Hoppes has a field cleaning kit that would probably suit your needs. I keep a small bottle of hoppes no9, a small bottle of gun oil, toothpicks, q tips, small screwdriver,(any tools specific to your firearm) , pill bottle of grease, rag, and a boresnake in my to go kit. I might add a draw through wire brush to that yet. My leatherman provides all the other tools I need.

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
Otis bore snake (steel cable)

or Hoppe's bore snake (specific to 1 gun) and a rag, can of Hoppe's Gold cleaning solution (spray sold at Waltermart) and a small bottle of Weapon Shield

My weapons are stored cleaned and pre-lubed so they are good for hundreds of rounds before they will become unreliable when using high quality ammunition and sound magazines. If I fire a single round (hunting forinstance), I can pull the Hoppe's bore snake down the bore dry, and am not the least concerned with the bolt.

·
PreparationInBubbaNation
2,503 Posts
Hoppes has a field cleaning kit that would probably suit your needs. I keep a small bottle of hoppes no9, a small bottle of gun oil, toothpicks, q tips, small screwdriver,(any tools specific to your firearm) , pill bottle of grease, rag, and a boresnake in my to go kit. I might add a draw through wire brush to that yet. My Leatherman provides all the other tools I need.
Not a bad idea, but you better keep it double bagged because if that #9 spills or leaks it will ruin everything it comes in contact with.

·
Prepper elite
4,538 Posts
I really glad to hear that. I kept thinking that that would buy me a years supply of beans, rice and other goodies or 1000 rds of 7.62.

Sorry i wouldn't spend 700 bucks on a damn cleaning Kit. Its pretty nice as far as it goes... but i added Star cleaners and a ton of q tips. They did have the really nice long stem q tips too.

I even put my bore snake in it tooo..

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,584 Posts
The Otis kit is about the smallest and highest quality kit that I know of. Their all caliber kit fits in a small round case that you can carry on your belt.

I stopped selling Boresnakes and started selling Otis specifically because of the number of Boresnakes that are breaking off in people's barrels and getting hopelessly stuck. That renders the gun unusable until it can be removed, which is dang hard to do.

The key with Otis is actually reading the instructions instead of thinking you already know how to do it. There's a trick to using the right slot on the patch, and making the knot correctly. Do it right and it will fit any caliber so tight that it will squeak going down the barrel.

Another interesting choice if you only want to clean the bore, is the Patch Worm. I love those things! That's the smallest and lightest kit by far. I use them exclusively on my rimfires, but they come with adapters for other calibers. Very inexpensive kits too.

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
I keep a simple kit in my BOB which incudes older AR-15 cleaning rods (which have short sections), brushes, patches and Remwipes. If my BOB is all I have, which means my Mini-14 is all I have since my M-4 is still at home, then I certainly dont intend to get into prolonged firefights where I need a more elaborate kit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts