Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dont Tread On Me
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious as to what ideas any of you guys have as to how to clean and maintain a rifle in a post SHTF scenario. For example how would you clean corrosive ammo without solvents, make bore brushes, or replace parts such as roll pins, firing pins, and springs when the ideal tools may no longer be available.

Ill go ahead and start with my own suggestion. Ive learned that by going to home depot or lowes you can buy for about $2-$5 a brass rod (or dowel). these are really handy for replacing missing pins. they can be easily cut and rounded to size, and are easily punched in to place. They also can make a pretty decent cleaning rod I suppose as well.

·
Troublesome.
1,333 Posts
I stock spare parts and cleaning supplies. LOTS of them.

Oh, and I propose "drill rod" as a more suitable substitute for the brass rod. It is a heck of a lot harder - more durable - and just about as easy to find (any REAL auto/truck parts place, or industrial supply house).

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
tie knots in your boot laces, dip them in gas or kerosene, drag through bore. Wipe other parts off with shirt tail. Wipe down with motor oil. Ak maintenance at it's best. :)
I propose "drill rod" as a more suitable substitute for the brass rod. It is a heck of a lot harder
Also harder on your rifling. A cleaning rod should be out of a soft metal.

·
Fish Slayer
135 Posts
I assume that post event there will be lots of disabled vehicles around. Gas or diesel can be used as solvent, and oil in the crankcase could be used as lube. Not the best choice but better than nothing. IIRC the Soviets in WWII did the same to clean there Mosin's and used a boot lace to clean the bore.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yugo troops shot corrosive ammo out of their non chrome lined SKS and AKs. All that is needed to break down the corrosive salts before cleaning is warm water. A lot of times the troops simply used urine as their warm water and then cleaned and lubed with whatever they had.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
You can clean guns with just about anything, learned that when I took up Black Powder.

I use 1 part glass cleaner, 1 part oil soap and then about 3 parts boiling water. Throw all the little parts in, use a rod with a patch, put the end of the barrel in the mix and then as you pump up and down it pneumatically runs the cleaner through it.

Afterwards I pour boiling water down the barrel to wash it all out.

It get the metal very hot and dries it self pretty quickly. Then I rub it down with bore butter inside and out. Thing it though, just like cast iron, you can season the metal with most fats.

I have not had to clean my regular rifles this way but I would not hesitate to do so once the supplies run a bit thin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts