Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While this might also belong in the firearms section, I think it's general enough to also be relevant here.

If you are short on ammo, or if you reload and are short on components, the time to act to correct this is now.

Grafs has indicated in an email sent yesterday that "...we are beginning to see a rapid increase in product demand...." In essence, it's a warning that we're seeing the same kind of ramp up in demand as we saw before and after Obama was elected in 2008.

Precision Delta has recently raised bullet prices by about 9 percent on the calibers I use. Some is out of stock and on backlog.

Another supplier I use is now weeks behind on deliveries, simply can't keep up.

Ammo supplies are, in some places, limited.

I thought it would be later in the year that we'd see this kind of thing, but it's begun. I have to believe it gets worse and worse as we approach the election as well as the Mayan Calendar thing. We're not in the craziness yet, but it can't be all that long before prices rise, supplies are scarce, and we can't get what we need.

There still are supplies out there--at the same time Grafs indicated their rapid increase in demand, they also have primers on sale at good prices. I can't believe this will last.

So, as they say, forewarned is forearmed. If your preps of firearms, ammo, and/or components aren't where you want them to be, I have to believe now is the time.

·
Preparedness Consultant
49 Posts
Must agree

I've been noticing lately that several of the local spots have been having a hard time keeping more of the common ammunition (.45, .223 etc) on hand. Prices also have gone up so I agree, now is a good time to get what you are lacking. I plan on doing several purchases very soon.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
there is alot to blame on this one. Nothing new at the SHOT Show this year? Companies have a 6 month backlog of stuff they introduced last year so why bother allocating time and money to make something new?

Watch TV much? Walking Dead and Doomsday Preppers are making people who wouldn't normally even be interested in guns suddenly want one.

Local Crime? The city I live in just announced they will be insolvent by the end of the month unless they get money from the state. Can only imagine that means higher taxes, lower property value, and less infrastructure to depend on. IE less teachers, firefighters and cops. Crime goes up.

Did you get a tax return? Well only if you worked right? Well I work, and I busted my ass all year, and when I get that check back, I spend it on something I want or wouldn't normally have the money to buy. Remember those people who wouldn't normally buy a gun but want one,,,,,,

Political environment? You know if Obongo gets reelected you can kiss your rights goodbye. If you can't see this coming, you have your head in the sand. There are guys who have always wanted that certain gun but never "needed" it. Tell them that in a year they won't be able to get one and "Shazam" the credit card comes out.

Manufactures normally have a time of year when they shut down for vacations. Sometimes that is the same time as school vacation. Guess whats next week? School vacation. Are gun and ammo companies on the same schedule? I have no idea but i'm sure shutting down for 2 weeks a year at a certain time that demand is high doesn't help. Our local distributor has one delivery truck and driver. If he is on vaca that week, guess what? No delivery that week.

When you add all this up, it all kinda makes sense.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm a little light on 9mm too. I want to order a few cases but with my luck, it would arrive the day after I leave for vacation in two weeks. I can't have a few thousand rounds sitting out side with kids playing near my house.

My LGS has pallets and pallets of ammo. Cabelas is stocked to the rafters with ammo too. I don't see a shortage. I think it's greed driving prices. Several online sites say there "IS NO AMMO SHORTAGE"

http://www.freedommunitions.com/
http://www.reliantammo.com/

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just posted something in the firearms section about what I heard today from a place where I buy once fired brass. They are selling more than ever before, and to people they've never sold to before.

Remember how tight components gots for a while around the last election. Maybe it is just starting a bit early this time. I think there is also concern that if the current pres gets-re-elected that there could be trouble on the horizon. I think some of it is a fear of what may happen with firearms and/or ammunition laws, and also fear of what the economy may do and what type of environment may exist.

I'm not a "the sky is falling" kind of guy, but I am planning to stock up on components at a faster than normal rate.

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Local Chinamarts told me today that people are buying lots of ammunition.

Shelves are half empty.

Asked about bricks of .22s as none were on the shelf.

They had some which had just come in in freight.

The clerk told me they had already sold two cases of .22 bricks today, to two different people who paid cash for them. The clerk said that was unusual.

Noticed that their gun prices were up in the last two weeks, which followed another increase a month ago.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Its very upsetting out there- stores and websites

I may have to drop a grand here in the next few days to top off the ammo storage...

·
Organ Donor
827 Posts
>"...we are beginning to see a rapid increase in product demand...." In essence, it's a warning that we're seeing the same kind of ramp up in demand as we saw before and after Obama was elected in 2008.

Or a cleaver way to up sales.

THat said I have some ammo/reloading supply goals that I habe not yet met.

McLOVIN

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Just went to my wal Mart yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. They had been out of American Eagle 223 for several weeks. They have a new guy managing that section he had the ammo case slam full no room left with plenty of everything. Said he just put in $1000,00 worth today and has ordered more. Promised he would keep a close eye on the 223 and 7.62x39.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
>"...we are beginning to see a rapid increase in product demand...." In essence, it's a warning that we're seeing the same kind of ramp up in demand as we saw before and after Obama was elected in 2008.

Or a cleaver way to up sales.

THat said I have some ammo/reloading supply goals that I habe not yet met.

McLOVIN
I'd considered that, but I set it aside for two reasons: First is I've done business w/ Grafs for a long time, and they are NOTHING like Cheaper Than Dirt, which gouged the daylights out of people last panic.

Second, I've seen evidence of this in several other places, rising prices, empty shelves, backorders worse than for a couple years, this on BudsGunShop site: "An EXTREME increase in TRAFFIC to our website actually caused the site to shut down multiple times this past week. Even when the site goes down, we are able to process and ship existing orders normally. Please be patient as we are doing our best to deal with EXTRAORDINARY volume at this time !"

Then again, maybe Grafs is just scamming us. :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'd considered that, but I set it aside for two reasons: First is I've done business w/ Grafs for a long time, and they are NOTHING like Cheaper Than Dirt, which gouged the daylights out of people last panic.

Second, I've seen evidence of this in several other places, rising prices, empty shelves, backorders worse than for a couple years, this on BudsGunShop site: "An EXTREME increase in TRAFFIC to our website actually caused the site to shut down multiple times this past week. Even when the site goes down, we are able to process and ship existing orders normally. Please be patient as we are doing our best to deal with EXTRAORDINARY volume at this time !"

Then again, maybe Grafs is just scamming us. :)
Bought a Ruger 22/45 the other day, and got an email from Bud's talking about the huge increase in sales they are experiencing. Said they have been way behind on shipping, and had to hire some new staff to get caught up. Still haven't shipped my weapon, which I paid for a few days ago, but they are still within their normal shipping window. Other purchases from Bud's have shipped in a day or so, though, so I suspect they are still backlogged.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I had no problems getting a few boxes of 3 inch Black magic Brenneke's from Able...

Lots of griz in Connecticut i swear.

:D:
When i lived in C.T. i never had ammo shortages except at Cabellas.In T.N. Academy has been out of .223 for 2 weeks and you can't beat there price 4.99 for 20.God help me if i have to buy Tul ammo.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ammo will rise in price in conjunction with fuel prices,its heavy and a truck can only hold so much.
The only thing I have even the slightest bit of aggravation getting is 7.62x39 some body beats me to it at wally world but the academy a few miles away always has some. And for a buck more a box all the local gun stores have all you want.

·
Ready
121 Posts
I was at the local Walmart today and they had plenty of everything here in WA except 223. They always have a hard time keeping .22 in stock so it was nice to see that they had plenty. I need to remember to go back next week.

·
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm
3,083 Posts
Just went to my wal Mart yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. They had been out of American Eagle 223 for several weeks. They have a new guy managing that section he had the ammo case slam full no room left with plenty of everything. Said he just put in $1000,00 worth today and has ordered more. Promised he would keep a close eye on the 223 and 7.62x39.
I didn't know walmart even had 7.62x39. I remember asking for it years ago and getting a snide "We don't carry assault weapon ammo." I laughed at the guy and he had no idea why. I was looking at the .45 acp, 9mm, .40 S&W, .223, .308 and .30-06 on the shelfs, the guy had no fricking clue and should have been manning the changing rooms instead of sporting goods.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Same thing here. I went to wally world
today to grab a 250rnd box of 9mm FMJ.
No such thing. Guy told me they get it in
on friday. Its gone the next day. I ended
up haveing to buy some higher priced ammo
to go to the range with.

Guess I'm just gonna have to buy a box
every time I go for eggs now.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
I'm a little light on 9mm too. I want to order a few cases but with my luck, it would arrive the day after I leave for vacation in two weeks. I can't have a few thousand rounds sitting out side with kids playing near my house.

My LGS has pallets and pallets of ammo. Cabelas is stocked to the rafters with ammo too. I don't see a shortage. I think it's greed driving prices. Several online sites say there "IS NO AMMO SHORTAGE"

http://www.freedommunitions.com/
http://www.reliantammo.com/
Have you used their reloaded stuff?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts