Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all live in different places. Some that have cold winters, some that have dry seasons, some that could potentially be a hotbed for crime in SHTF.

Across the numerous "survival" books that I've read each priorities their necessities differently.

In my area (Middle Tennessee) mine would go like this:

Water, Food, Self Defense, Shelter, Fire

In the arctic or a snowy region it might be more like:

Shelter, Fire, Water, Food, Self Defense

what's yours?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Water, self defense,shelter,food,fire.

Like you pointed out with the different areas this may also change with the seasons.

·
Jack of all trades
228 Posts
3 minutes without air.
3 hours without shelter.
3 days without water.
3 weeks without food.

Some leave out the air or shelter in the "Rule of 3's" though.

Roger

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
some people add 3 seconds without thinking

·
Nope.
2,099 Posts
Water, self defense*, shelter, food, fire

I'm in Nevada, so water is key. Food is so low on the list because I do have plenty of reserves (fat gut) and a pretty solid idea of how long it can last me on minimal sustenance but with little to no loss of effectiveness.

*In self defense, I include avoiding threats. Short word: Hiding. There's always someone bigger, better armed, or just plain nastier out there.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
If you're asking the order of effort I put into each it would have to be shelter, fire, food, self defence and water.

We are surrounded by water, have 11 springs and 7 wells so that is bottom of what I put my effort into collecting. Self defence is next to the lowest because I figure if I need it, I've done something wrong. Though if you put concealment into self defence then I would have to put that before food. Food, because we buy very, very little of our food and food production does take effort. Fire because it gets cold here in Wisconsin and we do heat some with wood that we collect. Shelter as number one because we always are building a new shelter every year for ourselves or our animals or for our jobs or for safty reasons. When that snow flies it's good to have some place to get away from it.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
well when i go camping my 1st priority is to get the tent up and get the camping gear in the tent and unload the truck.set camp
2nd is to make a fire ring and start gathering tender/wood and make a fire.
3rd if im not starveing, is to make sure my weapon is loaded.and rdy to go
4th is food and drink

priorities may change as the situation changes
in a thunder storm shelter is the 1 priority
in the dessert sun water is...ect

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys - thanks for all of the great answers.

The reason I asked this question is that (personally) I think that in order to have a strong piece of mind in a survival situation you must have thought about this same question over, and over, and over so that in the event you are cast into a situation you are not wasting time and energy making a shelter when you should be finding your source of water. What if your first priority is making shelter and you discover that you are 5 miles from the nearest clean water source.

In many situations you may not even need shelter so it should certainly not be my priority if that is the case. At the same time water may be plentiful in a number of situations whereas fire, food and shelter would come next.

Just something to think about. Just like any other responsibility in life you need to know the priorities and how they stack up amongst the other priorities.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts