Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AimSmallMissSmall
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all have our preferred methods of fire starting. I have several flint/steel...can use a bow....I have watched some use a lens/Fresnel....which led to a thought. Is anyone aware of a lens...that will attach to the end of high output LED light....creating the hot spot a magnifying lens does with sunlight.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,553 Posts
Is anyone aware of a lens...that will attach to the end of high output LED light....creating the hot spot a magnifying lens does with sunlight.
I prefer regular lens even the lens on a Swiss army knife. But after searching for a while I found this. There might be more but this I hope is what you want? It is expensive and I might buy one although it likely will take too many batteries to use very much.

https://www.amazon.com/LUCHENG-Powe...rds=optic+fire+starter&qid=1582053887&sr=8-21

·
Registered
957 Posts
We all have our preferred methods of fire starting. I have several flint/steel...can use a bow....I have watched some use a lens/Fresnel....which led to a thought. Is anyone aware of a lens...that will attach to the end of high output LED light....creating the hot spot a magnifying lens does with sunlight.
If you have a working led light, you have battery. If you have battery, you have fire.

·
Registered
9,537 Posts
What's wrong with a Bic for a buck? When I smoked they went through the wash 100 times and worked perfectly when I found them while folding my laundry.
Nothing. It's the most practical fire starting system ever devised.

If you have a working led light, you have battery. If you have battery, you have fire.
Indeed.

I honestly can't think of a worse way to start a fire other than trying to concentrate an LED light....into heat.

If you want an electronic fire starting solution, get a plasma lighter. They are rechargeable, light, small, durable, and work just fine.

·
AimSmallMissSmall
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's wrong with a Bic for a buck? When I smoked they went through the wash 100 times and worked perfectly when I found them while folding my laundry.

nothing is wrong with a Bic.....but it has nothing to do with my question.... just asking if anyone has tried it.....not looking for the myriad other options....

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,776 Posts
That video isn't actually the same concept--the lens/head of the flashlight, according to the guy in the video, gets very hot.

A fresnel lens or magnifying glass is concentrating heat as well as light. I seriously doubt that you'd get anything of value out of an LED/lens combination.

Now, if you had a flashlight with a powerful incandescent bulb that generated a lot of heat, maybe, but who has one of those and why would you have it. Why would you even have such a thing (incandescent bulb) as they're power-hungry and you can get smaller/brighter/better LED flashlights?

Better to carry 2 or 3 methods to make fire rather than something like that.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,929 Posts
I agree, there are so many better ways IMO to get a fire going. It is a novel concept but likely not very practical from a survival standpoint.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Use your flash hider to pop the projectile off the case, dump the powder o to your tinder, put the case in the rifle, fire it into the tinder. Worked in Nam, it will work anywhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts