Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on the forum have a reasonably sure kill for fire ants. I live in central Arkansas and they are just beginning to really show in this area. Most stuff off the shelf will get rid of the mound, but I suspect that a goodly number are just moving.....thnx

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Wal-mart sells some stuff that looks like sand. It will kill the mound in just a few days, sometimes in one day. I think its a red bag with a large red ant on the front.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Kev is right that stuff does work. You will have to really work to keep them down. We have them bad down here in Texas. DO you have a large acreage? treating the whole area can be really tough.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah you'll never get rid of em totally, they just keep moving around. The trick is to do as Kev says, and use that stuff, but to cover your entire property and stay on it. Every time I cut grass, which is weekly, I walk around after I mow and put more of the ant killer on any piles I see, and twice a year I cover the entire lawn. They generally end up moving across the fence to the pasture.

Nasty little buggers.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,948 Posts
For around the house and yard I use Orthene powder. Kills the mounds overnight. Stinks like rotting cabbage, but works great. They don't relocate when treated with just a tsp/mound.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
me i find there home the big mound then its smashing time dig it up destroy there eggs and queen.. its mean as hell but loads of fun doing it.. spray some raid of them as they flee that kills them good.. sure they can amass an attack but if you fast enoff and have a shovel you will win...

one time when i was younger i attacked a fire ant mound that was bigger then i was and i was 10 at the time was loads of fun.. they came out like a massive army found 5 mounds in the area that were all conected that was alot of ants i killed.. they actually came out in a wave to attack me as i was throwing stuff into the mound... was neat a 5 foot wide by endless lenth colom of ants attacking in a wave i just walk away when they come out disappear and attack for round 2 latter.. ah i hate ants.. have to get them befor they become a big nest.. seal cracks in driveway gets read of them if they are under it..

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
haha49, They make medicine for people like you. Just follow the advise of your Doctor and in a few days you'll be alright.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
There is an organic way. Get two people with two shovels. Take one huge scoop of dirt and ants from two mounts and put the scoop in the other (in other words, exchange some dirt and ants between two mounds.) They will kill each other and upset the colony to the point of destroying it, or slowing it down until you do it again.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
might be fun to watch too lol.

I heard that if you expect no rain for a few days you can sprinkle dry grits on the mound. when they eat it- especially the queen, and then drink water- they explode

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
me i find there home the big mound then its smashing time dig it up destroy there eggs and queen.. its mean as hell but loads of fun doing it.. spray some raid of them as they flee that kills them good.. sure they can amass an attack but if you fast enoff and have a shovel you will win...

one time when i was younger i attacked a fire ant mound that was bigger then i was and i was 10 at the time was loads of fun.. they came out like a massive army found 5 mounds in the area that were all conected that was alot of ants i killed.. they actually came out in a wave to attack me as i was throwing stuff into the mound... was neat a 5 foot wide by endless lenth colom of ants attacking in a wave i just walk away when they come out disappear and attack for round 2 latter.. ah i hate ants.. have to get them befor they become a big nest.. seal cracks in driveway gets read of them if they are under it..
LOL! There's your real world zombie attack, they're just smaller. That sounds like it would be fun.

Okay... I'll go take my meds now......

·
Banned
326 Posts
Grits...take a couple table spoons and sprinkle on the mound. Preety sure fire way I've found.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've bought all that stuff at china-mart and all it does is make them move over a few feet. There's something i've been trying with success. 1/2 cup boric acid,2 cups sugar 1 cup water,mix it up and lightly boil on the stove. I pour a little on the mound and in a few days there gone. Works for other kinds of ants too,ya just adjust the recipe to where the ants don't die till they feed the queen.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Im actually kinda partial to the send in another hive, grab a magnifying glass and a 6 pack- and you have the redneck UFC olympics tright there :D:

·
Banned
326 Posts
Or ya could just call me and I'll show up with my truck mounted rig and pump my death juice into any mound.

·
Home...where the horse is
186 Posts
When I met these little boogers in Florida, it was a constant battle to keep them out of my yard. Amdro seemed to me to work best. They would bring out a dead ant, pick up a piece of Amdro and take it back down.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Chlordane works great and kills everything.............the trick is finding it after uncle suger banned it in the 80's
but you can still find it........................just get to know some old timers that are gardeners, they will have some to spare, maybe if you talk nice to them.

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,021 Posts
I fancy a .50 cal, a truckload of ammo, a lawn chair, and a tall drink with an umbrella in it. It takes awhile, but its oh, so satisfying.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts