Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not trying to follow the trend here by making a file knife, but I thought I'd share my little project. I had tried this last summer using the same design, but when I went to harden the knife, I accidentally melted half of it off :eek:: So I tried it again and this time around it went smoothly.

It took me about 2 days of combined hours. It's intended purpose is as a camp knife. Shaving kindling, cutting small branches, and that type of stuff. However, with this one I'm going to use it and abuse it until it stops cutting smoothly, to see if my work holds up.

Let me know what you guys think. It's my third attempt at making a knife, and only my first successful one. I'm happy though.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! It was actually a 12" file and I just cut off the excess from the ends. I didn't feel like taking off the file texture. I think it looks cool that way and it provides some grip for the paracord to grab onto.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
On another site I am on, people are trying to figure out the best way to make a knife out of a file, where one end stays a file. If you had both in one handy little package where you could just switch the handle, You would have one pretty cool tool! It does seem kinda' hard to do because of the different tempers needed,but several are giving it a shot! Might be a thought.....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On another site I am on, people are trying to figure out the best way to make a knife out of a file, where one end stays a file. If you had both in one handy little package where you could just switch the handle, You would have one pretty cool tool! It does seem kinda' hard to do because of the different tempers needed,but several are giving it a shot! Might be a thought.....
An interesting idea. When would you use a file, much less a big one like this? For that just carry a multitool on you as well. I've never really liked knives that could do a dozen different things, unless they were a multitool or swiss army knife. However you could always just heat treat the front of the knife and leave the handle at the temper of the original file.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
An interesting idea. When would you use a file, much less a big one like this? For that just carry a multitool on you as well. I've never really liked knives that could do a dozen different things, unless they were a multitool or swiss army knife. However you could always just heat treat the front of the knife and leave the handle at the temper of the original file.
Well if it is a Bastard File, you could use it on your Axe or machete.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks good brother, welcome to the fraternity! Now go build a forge!
Thanks. I actually have a forge....of sorts. Built it out of coffee cans, pvc, and a hair dryer. Works pretty good actually, but I'm planning on building a better one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A file that had been tempered might be too soft to be useful for very long. I do like leaving the file pattern on the back side of the knife for grip.

Great job on the knife, I will post up the paring knife that Im making out of a file once I get it done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts