Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

First post :)

I've been looking to find some 55 gallon drums for water storage locally, in the hopes of finding them cheap/free. Or at the very least, buying them locally but saving on shipping costs.

So far, I haven't had much luck, which is why I'm asking for advice. Here's what I've tried so far:

-Craigslist: gotten close a couple times, but have been beaten to the punch
-Garden supply shops: nobody carries them and don't know where to find them
-Extension office: no idea where we can find them
-Soda bottler: don't use them, don't know anyone that has them

Can anyone recommend some other business types to call or any other suggestions on this? I'm keeping a close eye on Craigslist, but would like to get this water storage thing taken care of asap.

·
Fun Guy
319 Posts
I've got a friend who sells them. You can get steel 55's for 6 dollars each plastic ones are 8 dollars. He's also got a lot of steel and plastic 35's.

The steel ones held industrial chemicals so you might not want water in them. The plastic ones however where used for stuff like jams and syrups.

This place is in middle Alabama.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hi all-

First post :)

I've been looking to find some 55 gallon drums for water storage locally, in the hopes of finding them cheap/free. Or at the very least, buying them locally but saving on shipping costs.

So far, I haven't had much luck, which is why I'm asking for advice. Here's what I've tried so far:

-Craigslist: gotten close a couple times, but have been beaten to the punch
-Garden supply shops: nobody carries them and don't know where to find them
-Extension office: no idea where we can find them
-Soda bottler: don't use them, don't know anyone that has them

Can anyone recommend some other business types to call or any other suggestions on this? I'm keeping a close eye on Craigslist, but would like to get this water storage thing taken care of asap.

Where are you?
Im working on some info I got about a source for some food grade drums but nothing is certain right now. If it works out I will have a very good source for them and will share the info. Im in NC so it wont help out everyone here but I know there are a few others here from NC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where are you?
Im working on some info I got about a source for some food grade drums but nothing is certain right now. If it works out I will have a very good source for them and will share the info. Im in NC so it wont help out everyone here but I know there are a few others here from NC.
Pretty far from there unfortunately. I'm in MO.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll try feed stores next.

·
privateer
97 Posts
sportsmans warehouse has a few 55 gal in stock where I live you could check them out see if they have some in your area.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Be careful and be sure they are food grade and have been used for food stuff only. YOu do not want any barrel that has been used for chemicals. The plastic whether it is blue, white or black can be very hazordous if you try to use it for water if chemicals were present. Check with places like Kraft, or other food processing plants. 55 gallon containers are nice but the weight is a big issue. A 55 gallon drum full of water weighs over 500 pounds. 20 or 30 gallon containers are easier to deal with. I work for a chemical company and i am sure about the above. Larry

In any event clean out any barrel you get before you store water in it. Stay safe.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Sorry about beating you out on Craigslist...seriously, I've gotten them from three places: via the ads that Microsoft used to have for employees, via Freecycle, and via Craigslist. You just have to look around to find them and be quick on the 'reply' button.

Google 'water barrels' or 'barrels for water storage' and look for what's in your area. Other search terms you could use: rain barrels, FDA approved barrels, food grade barrels.

One guy on Gardenweb.com said he got some that had held vanilla, if that helps.

See if you can find something like the King County [WA] IMEX: http://www.govlink.org/hazwaste/business/imex/.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts