Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The left blames Bush and the Republicans. The right blames Clinton, the Democrats and the inner city home owners.

The truth is as Pogo stated the enemy is us.

I would argue that the current crisis is the natural outcome of the philosophy of our age materialism. The modern philosophers, Kant, Hegel,et. al., divorced modern man from reality. Then the world moved to where were are today. A man's worth is defined as what he has. A man is successful,if he is rich. Honor, integrity, virtue take a back seat to our bank accounts, regardless of the lip service that may be given to intangible virtues.

So over time, American's have become obsessed with obtaining things. Credit was extended to all. Buy, buy, buy was the mantra. Whereas oour grandparents lived their whole live in two or three houses, we move every couple years to the bigger house. Developments are filled with homes with more square footage than the lots they sit on. TVs in every room. Cars for every kid. The spending based on debt and inflated real estate values mushrooms. The economy booms fueled by the spending. Then the inevitable, the bubble bursts. Real estate prices fall, the economy weakens. The government sends out checks to try to jump start spending. Surprise, surprise, it does not work.

My crystal ball says the whole materialism culture is collapsing. First,real estate, then auto debt, then credit card debt, then margin debt, then ....

When it is over, we will see that we all lived an unsustainable lifestyle built on debt.

When I say all, I mean it as a generality. Some have not bought into the culture, some can afford their lifestyles, but the vast majority of Americans fit my view.

At least that is how I see it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
YOU ARE RIGHT the USA has bankrupted it self,the only way to correct it is to turn the clock back to zero , the dollar will crash, new world order will begin listen to bush snr openly talk about it u tube it, marshal law will be the start no one has money, the gov controls all the food, they are already planning it, at least u can see how it will happen because u know the reasons behind .

THE USA will be on its knees and the gov will be in total control, the fema camps are ready, the tactical squads are all trained and waiting for the word go.

Dramatic yes reality is around the corner.

I watched a program on the us dollar on u tube and all the experts said the dollar was hanging on a thread, and that is 6 months ago so it is only a matter of time and these experts were from all fields and all different countries and all in the financial markets and they came to the same conclusion the us dollar is going down, not if but when and that time line is getting very close NOW.

Prepare to be with out cash as see how far u get.

If u believe in the bible good time to read it.

The banks will have a problem with the atms machines and on a Friday, banks like doing things on a Friday, no one will have access to cash , that is a big sign i read u have 72 hours before the Monday morning before it is announced the dollar has crashed so have a bundle of cash on hand to get out of where ever u are and be stocked up on food and water, u have a small window before the crash use it stock up.

What u do and where u go are another thing.

Just plan for a crash and think about the implications then things will become clearer, dont wait for it to happen prepare for it as it will happen

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,784 Posts
It's the Economy Stupid.

Many events are possible, but the extraordinary event happening right now is the melt down of the dollar based economy. After decades of rapid economic expansion, George Bush's New World Order and Bill Clinton's Crony Capitalism, we now must face the consequences. The world wide experiment with free trade, debt based fiat currencies, and misdirected funding of non viable technologies has failed.

It is unclear when and if the folks who directed this failure will recognize and respond to these events, or if they will continue to peruse these policies to the bitter end, but the rest of us live in the real world. In the real world the gig is up, the bill is due, and the greatest economic depression of all time is howling at our door.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Well the pop-star from the 80's was right...we live in a material world...

I know when my daughter was in high school, the peer pressure to have the latest cloths, latest phone, latest anything was driving me insane. So she graduates high school, goes to college and rakes up credit card debt that would be the envy of BofA. Now she works and makes just enough to pay the interest with a little towards the principal. She asks me for financial help but I stop right there and tell her I will help her with things she NEEDs but NOT with what she WANTs. There is a difference. She has to learn things the hard way I fear.

True story: when I paid off a Credit Card that had a high balance the credit card company called me and asked if anything was wrong...????!!!!! I was floored.

·
New and yet, old
2,795 Posts
I would argue that the current crisis is the natural outcome of the philosophy of our age materialism..
wait!......................there's a crisis?

I watched our Dear Leader just the other night go into great lengths to explain there is actually nothing wrong at all.

Nothing, it's just a rumor.

Pretty hard to argue with the twice elected leader of the greatest country in the whole wide world and for all time.

·
Warrior
2,518 Posts
Well this is an eight year thread but I will bite because I'm a sucker for a good philosophical discussion. The original point being made - the culture of materialism collapsing - is my theory as well. It seems to me from personal experience that many people in my age group are disillusioned by what this country has become. We are old enough to remember playing outside and living our lives with technology in the background, if we had any at all besides appliances and a 27-inch TV. My dad is a computer guy and so I played games on floppy disk and I remember when we first got AOL right around 1990 or so. But it was a fun thing to do on a rainy day, not something I did every day. We called our friends, wrote letters to those who moved away, and ran across the street to play or took off into the woods on secret adventures.

I would venture to say that 80% of the people I know or grew up with - again referring to those in my age group, mid-30's - are growing gardens, raising chickens, doing things with their hands like woodworking or welding, sewing, knitting, canning, or a combination of these kinds of things. Many of us have ditched cable TV (after watching it for hours as kids when it first unfolded) and we are doing lots of outdoor things and a few of us could probably consider ourselves preppers to a certain degree.

We are done with what consumerism and the media and entertainment has become. We do not buy, buy, buy. I spent my 20's racking up debt and right around 2008 I had my own personal disaster that had nothing to do with the recession but I got myself together and paid off a lot of debt and moved home and somehow was able to remember who I really am. I have grown ever since and have strived for a more minimal, back-to-basics lifestyle. It is my hope that more will follow this kind of example. If the economy should crash because no one spends anymore and <DISASTER OMG!> well maybe it's time for something drastic to happen so that we can remember who we are, as individuals, as humans, as a country.....

·
Registered
639 Posts
It's a good thread to bump. I blame computers and internet magnifying stupid.

I look around me and question if people are happy or delusional. Maybe I'm just stuck in the past and the odd man out, but it doesn't feel that way. Things just feel wrong, like when you are driving down a road and you know it's not the right way, but you keep on driving hoping something will look familiar or you get lucky.

Either way, I camp and paint and do things that take me out of the mundane routine. I try to get my wife and daughter on board. I did turn off our cable which was one of the best decisions I ever made. I'd happily downgrade my house and income to slow down and get back more time.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
I'm 60 now. When I was growing up the hard sell was on the American Dream. Go to school, work hard, buy a house, get married, have kids, etc. If you did all those things you would be fulfilled. You would have family, property, heirs, be able to retire, etc.
Somewhere that went off the rails.
No matter how hard I've worked at it , it just hasn't happened like that.
I don't know who to blame other than myself. Things have always not worked out the way I envisioned. Maybe I set the bar too high. Maybe I don't appreciate what I do have.
At least I have my health. (Today)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The OP is still correct.

'We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo

Our collective unwillingness to elect true leaders that will make the hard decisions to cut services and expenditures has lead us to the precipice.

·
Hating the new Amerika.
2,856 Posts
I'm 60 now. When I was growing up the hard sell was on the American Dream. Go to school, work hard, buy a house, get married, have kids, etc. If you did all those things you would be fulfilled. You would have family, property, heirs, be able to retire, etc.
I don't know who to blame other than myself. Things have always not worked out the way I envisioned. Maybe I set the bar too high. Maybe I don't appreciate what I do have.
We were lead down the path of tyranny. People stopped being vigilant with regards to what the government was doing. We became complacent. The government and corporations gave us everything we wanted/needed while dumbing us down. Essentially, they fattened us up, made us sicker, dumber, dependent upon them. Our society is ripe for a dictatorship. People are too dumbed down to even notice.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Define house? Because I live in a mansion compared to what I grew up in as a kid and I bought a house that was 1/2 the price of what a bank would loan me. Most everyone in my neighborhood has 4 bathrooms. I didn't even need as big of a house as I bought, but could have gotten one much bigger. We spend more money on cable, internet, computers, and phones in a year then most people spent on all the stuff they would buy 30 or 40 years ago. But I can easily afford it and I use it as a tool to make me money, not as something to show off or use for purely entertainment purposes.

Look around and everybody does, because everybody else does. There was a news article on TV a while back where a cashier at McDonalds had her new phone stolen off the counter while she wasn't looking. She had saved up money for months to buy a cell phone and it was gone. She didn't know what to do. How about not buy an expensive phone when you're a cashier at McDonalds and put the money toward something more useful.

Poor people pretending to be rich because they lowered the standards for loaning money is one of the countries biggest problems. I know several "wealthy" people that have lost their houses after a job loss because they looked like they were doing okay, but where so in debt they were barely making payments.

On the other end is people who would sell their country, workers, and business down the river for an extra couple of dollars in their already bloated bank accounts.

I think the American Dream was totally overtaken by American Greed.

I don't envy people with more money. Really, I have everything I could have ever wanted. Which probably is why I have everything I could have ever wanted. Delayed gratification and a sense of fulfillment with whatever I already have. I have no desire to keep up with anyone.

·
Warrior
2,518 Posts
Look around and everybody does, because everybody else does. There was a news article on TV a while back where a cashier at McDonalds had her new phone stolen off the counter while she wasn't looking. She had saved up money for months to buy a cell phone and it was gone. She didn't know what to do. How about not buy an expensive phone when you're a cashier at McDonalds and put the money toward something more useful.
You pointed out something else that I see a lot - people are careless and they don't think anything through. Saving up for a phone is a good idea but then - take care of your property since you worked so hard to get it. Don't leave expensive stuff lying around. She shouldn't have had it on her at work, really. I'm a cashier at Walmart. When I'm on the clock, my phone is in my locker with my purse and my jacket. If there's an emergency, my family members can call the store and someone will get ahold of me.

People go shopping without having any idea of how much they're spending. I hear this statement a lot "I hope I have enough!" Really??? One customer got so mad at me for how much her total was, that she decided she didn't want any of the items she had purchased. I printed the slip and showed it to her. She just looked at me as if I had magically added some mystery amount to her total and walked away. I make a budget every time I go shopping and I stick to it. Even if I have "play" money I can spend at, say, the bookstore or the antique store for fun, I have a set amount in my mind and I don't spend more than that. Self-discipline has gone the way of the dodo, as many other virtues have gone.

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
The lady at the store could have been my sister in law. She showed us her new tattoo one weekend and we found out later she was getting evicted from her place because she couldn't make rent. Seriously? She's pushing 40 now and that's the extent of her money management skills. The inability to stop spending money on stuff so it's there when the rent is due.

I have a budget, because it's easy to spend more than you make; no matter how much you bring in. Broke Pro football players and Hollywood stars prove that point. I also know that I'm one major catastrophic issue from needed everything I've ever put aside or paid off.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
When you add an additional dimension to the useless left-right spectrum, you get up vs.down. All it takes is a certain percentage of consumers, maybe even only 25-40%, who are willing to encumber way more personal debt than is sensible -- and whole markets are skewed. Housing, college tuition, price of a new automobile.

But these run-amok borrowers at the bottom have enablers at the top:
the parasitic lending "industry"

So the "us" you're referring to doesn't include most of us here. But these demographics:
1. Run-amok borrowers.
2. Lending industry/banksters.
3. Lack of oversight, usury laws, and so on to stop it.

Basically, easy credit is like letting a diabetic into a candy shop. But when they default, the loss is spread out to all other borrowers/consumers -- especially the responsible ones mathematically speaking. Otherwise lenders would go bankrupt if the average borrower was a losing proposition. So the system is setup to encourage over-borrowing, and to make responsible people cover for the losses. Not to mention what it does to sticker-prices of homes, new autos, etc. Many people don't even pay attention to the sticker price whatsoever. Just the monthly payments.

Unfortunately, we all paid the price for how that influences the market. I don't want or need most of the bells & whistles in new cars, and would rather spend more on reliability and safety. Instead, you pay through the nose for features you don't care about -- because the overall market is attracted to shiny little things, and well able to borrow for them.

The left blames Bush and the Republicans. The right blames Clinton, the Democrats and the inner city home owners.

The truth is as Pogo stated the enemy is us.

I would argue that the current crisis is the natural outcome of the philosophy of our age materialism. The modern philosophers, Kant, Hegel,et. al., divorced modern man from reality. Then the world moved to where were are today. A man's worth is defined as what he has. A man is successful,if he is rich. Honor, integrity, virtue take a back seat to our bank accounts, regardless of the lip service that may be given to intangible virtues.

So over time, American's have become obsessed with obtaining things. Credit was extended to all. Buy, buy, buy was the mantra. Whereas oour grandparents lived their whole live in two or three houses, we move every couple years to the bigger house. Developments are filled with homes with more square footage than the lots they sit on. TVs in every room. Cars for every kid. The spending based on debt and inflated real estate values mushrooms. The economy booms fueled by the spending. Then the inevitable, the bubble bursts. Real estate prices fall, the economy weakens. The government sends out checks to try to jump start spending. Surprise, surprise, it does not work.

My crystal ball says the whole materialism culture is collapsing. First,real estate, then auto debt, then credit card debt, then margin debt, then ....

When it is over, we will see that we all lived an unsustainable lifestyle built on debt.

When I say all, I mean it as a generality. Some have not bought into the culture, some can afford their lifestyles, but the vast majority of Americans fit my view.

At least that is how I see it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts